Welcome to PatsFans.com

Joe Plumber

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Oct 16, 2008.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I watched a segment on MSNBC this morning and they showed each candidate pander to Joe Plumber bringing up his name maybe a dozen times.

Do we take Joe Plumber seriously?

Will future Joe Plumbers give up their dreams and wait for more successful people redistribute their wealth to them? That's the gist of what I was hearing this morning.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There'll be people writing in his name come November lol.
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

The funny (?sad) thing about this whole thing is that it's an apples and oranges comparison. When Joe asked his question, he said I'm about to "buy a business that makes $250K, $275K per year"
    Was he talking about the net profits or the gross revenues of the business????
    If it is gross folks, before expenses what he reports on his schedule C ( profit) after deductions will be less (assuming he's a sole proprietor).....He will be taxed on that, not the gross of the business.....
    Assuming he grows the business and the profits top $250K, then he will be taxed at the higher rate. Both sides are using this to their advantage without identifying that they may have been talking about different things....
    or so it seemed....
    Listen for yourself
    YouTube - Obama Explains His Tax Cut Plans To Plumbing Business Owner
  4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The real irony is that his biz could grow (past $the 250,000 tax mark)thanks to this national exposure alone,or so they're saying. He's also being called Palin's future VP lol.
  5. tedylb

tedylb Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

When McCain and the GOP sit down on Nov 5, and analyze why he lost, Joe will be a perfect example.

Talking points don't win elections. Impressions do, especially in these troubled times. McCain has run an unfocused, scattershot campaign since his convention. Whether or not you agree with Obama, he's been calm, on-message, and disciplined , as all the debates showed. In short, he's been presidential. That's why I, an independent undecided voter, have decided that Obama is the better choice to get our country back on track.

I do feel sorry for him for the huge hole he has to dig out of, and pray he'll surround himself with the right people from both parties to correct the course. It's clear to me that McCain and Palin aren't those people.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

That's almost funny. OTH, what if McCain wins and then can't continue. Who Does Palin choose as her VP, Chaney?
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Yeah ... there will be more than a few fools who will anxiously wait for their $200 or $300 extra.
    They will then be able to buy more scratch tickets and smoke some extra butts with the money.

Now watch ... how many people are going to want to be like Joe the Plumber ...
    this guy is going to rake in some major cash now.
  8. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Great. Hockey Mom. Lipstick. Joe Six Pack.

Now we are going to have to listen to Joe the Plumber crap for 3 weeks.

This is so perfect for Sarah Linthead's crowd.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Life is tough, and then you die.

//
  10. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Blame your guy, he said it. The camera was supposed to be off, I doubt Obama would have made such a mistake had he known the camera was on. He should have assumed it was. This is his first major mistake in the election. Lets see how much it costs him. If he wins, we will find out how much it costs us.
  11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

What mistake? Its McOld and President Palin who keeps talking about Joe the Plumber.
    I loved all the focus groups last night, they all HATED every mention of Joe the Plumber, every 312 times or so he was brought up.

btw, i wish most people had Joes problems. Plumbers making $250,000 a year and thinking about expanding arent your average person, you know?
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Joe's looking to buy the small business that makes over $250,000, and expand i.e. hire people, who don't have the "problems" you speak of.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Got this in an email, where some friends were discussing the election. It's apparently a comment, posted by a reader, under Howie Carr's article in the Herald.

It's overly simplistic obviously, but figured it'd make for a decent read in here.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Let me add that the republican party, democarat can understand bit is the commenters words, and not mine. How does that disclaimer go on TV?

The views and comments made in this program are those of the individuals involved, and not that of XYZ..... :)
  15. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

it's a totally absurd comparison. we're talking the top 1%-5% of the rich versus the rest of the population.

tha't like saying. well Bill gates has $50 billion and you have $50,000. so let's add it up and divide by half.
  16. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

toledoblade.com -- 'Joe the plumber' isn’t licensed

"A check of state and local licensing agencies in Ohio and Michigan shows no plumbing licenses under Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher’s name, or even misspellings of his name.

Mr. Wurzelbacher told reporters Thursday morning that he worked for Newell Plumbing & Heating Co., a small local firm whose business addresses flow back to several residential homes, including one on Talmadge Road in Ottawa Hills.

According to Lucas County Building Inspection records, A. W. Newell Corp. does maintain a state plumbing license, and one with the City of Toledo, but would not be allowed to work in Lucas County outside of Toledo without a county license.

Mr. Wurzelbacher said he works under Al Newell’s license, but according to Ohio building regulations, he must maintain his own license to do plumbing work.

He is also not registered to operate as a plumber in Ohio, which means he’s not a plumber
  17. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

so its more like Joe the divorced guy who makes $40,000 a year hopes to one day actually BE a plumber but really isnt and likes Sarah Palin.

yeah, we should all base our vote on this Einsteins opinion.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Ever heard of principle? I guess not. Not if it means lining your pockets with someone else's cash I guess.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Really? Is that a Moonification tenet?
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Not all owners of business' are licensed in their respective field. What some owners do, is hire people that are. Permitting requires a home owner, or a license. Here in MA we've used to use a plumbing company who's owner was not a licensed plumber. He'd worked in the field his entire life, as an apprentice, but was never licensed. You need to work a specific number of hours with a licensed plumber, in order to become eligable to obtain one. He had well over 20 employees, at least half of which were "licensed" plumbers. It's not uncommon around these parts.

For example, I'm a licensed machine operator in the state of massachusetts. Class 1B, and 2A. In order to obtain my license, I had to file an application, with a licensed operation as a sponsor. Think of a drivers permit, before you get your license. You can drive, you just need a licensed driver with you. Maybe Ohio is different than MA, I don't know.