Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Joe_Paterno_running_on_field.bmp

prayers to his family, former players and friends.

Last edited:
Re: Joe Paterno RIP

Family has said he has not died.

He hasn't kicked the bucket yet, but his condition is very serious now.

It's easy to give up on life and stop fighting to stay alive at that age when fighting cancer. Unfortunately the scandal probably made it easier to quit the fight. Rest in peace

Keep working into my mid-80s at a job I love, and then have a super-rapid decline?

I'll take that deal, if it's offered to me.

Re: Joe Paterno Gravely Ill - Had Last rites

I'm very sad for his family.

Condolences and peace to his family and loved ones.

I happen to believe that the jury is out on his legacy, but now is not the time to discuss that.

The world will soon have one less person to cover for brutal child rapists. A sad day. :(

May his family and friends find comfort in this troubling time, and may Mr. Paterno find peace, both before and after he passes.

It's not the time but it has to be done. Paterno screwed up but before you say he screwed up royally you should consider two things. One, you think he was told a man raped a child because that's what the grand jury presentment stated. But the pretrial testimony has shown otherwise. McQueary never told him that. Nonetheless, after Paterno informed his superiors, one of the them the head of campus police, he should have gone outside the university when he followed up and they told him they would not launch an official investigation. McQueary never told these people what he saw fully, if he even knew what he saw. He never actually said rape or sodomy. He told everyone he saw only the boy in the shower and an arm pulled him into the stall. That's what he said at the time.

Was Paterno covering up to preserve his legacy? Everyone at PSU was covering up? Then why did they report the shower incident in 1998? That went to the local police, county DA, and child protective services. There was even a sting operation. Tell me, if they were trying to preserve the football program, why would they report Sandusky in 1998? He was still a coach back then, unlike 2002.

I thought Paterno should have stepped down immediately, he simply could not continue to coach, but I have lots of doubt about how he has been vilified. Initially, after reading the GJ presentment, I thought he had covered things up, but after Sara Ganim in the Harrisburg newspaper reported the pretrial testimony, I think he was given a story that was so similar to the 1998 investigation when Sandusky was let free even by child protective services, and he didn't go beyond the head of campus police who told him the investigation was closed. It was a mistake, but not one that a great many people in that position wouldn't have made.

Posts like this are what's wrong with the Internet.

I hear the reason Paterno's cancer got so bad was because instead of going to a doctor for treatment, he just reported it to his boss.

Not my quote, I wish it was.

Anyone who doesn't believe McQueary told Paterno the whole story during their initial meeting is invited to my auction where I will be selling a 100% stake in the Brooklyn Bridge.

I wish the man absolutely no ill. The whole situation is horrible. But I just don't believe he is innocent in the scandal.

What a crappy way to go.......... A lifetime of devotion to one thing (football), only to have the last few months go as bad for him as these last few did.

Prayers to his family. Whatever you think of the guy as a human being, it still sucks watching someone you love getting the life strangled out of them by cancer. What a ****ty disease.

As a Pitt alum and major PSU hater for years, even I couldn't wish the last few months upon JoePa or anybody for that matter. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Not my quote, I wish it was.

I'm sure there is a time and place where that would actually be funny.

But now is not the time, and this thread is not the place.

One of the best memories I have from coaching came from Joe Paterno. In the late 70's for a few years several local HS coaches would take the Trip to Penn State during the April Vacation week, which coincided with Penn States spring practices. It was a chance to watch how they did things in practice, talk to their assistants, and other HS coaches from all over the country.

One night about a dozen or 2 coaches were in a meeting room talking about things we do. At one point I was at the blackboard talking about some secondary schemes we used and the simplified semantics we used to communicate what we wanted to the kids. Well I at one point in my talk, I happened to look up and noticed Paterno had come into the back of the room and had sat down. Later I noticed him take out a notebook and write down some stuff.

It could have been that he was just reminding himself to pick up some bread and eggs on his way home, but I will always chose to think that "something" I said resonated with him and he wanted to remember it. Now THAT'S a coaching memory.

In those trips I was always impressed how hard he worked at the time. Like BB he didn't just preside over the practices, he was right down with the kids coaching hard, all over the field. And I also got to see how much his players respected him.

He was an all time great coach - A great leader. A great man Its so very sad to see it all taken away because of one HORRIBLE decision.

He was an all time great coach - A great leader. A great man Its so very sad to see it all taken away because of one HORRIBLE decision.

Since I don't have any coaches'-fraternity kind of bond with Paterno, I'll frame the matter differently:

There was much to admire or emulate or follow in what Paterno said or did. Those don't go away because of deep flaws in the overall man, or in his other actions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bad stuff, however, is a huge warning flag not to accept the apparently-good stuff without examination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey