PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana to Steve Young II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then when Brady does decline, you end up like the Dolphins and Bills. 20 years and hundreds of QB's later, you're still looking for the guy....

We dont want to be that team.

But I think the issue is, it wasn't bad timing that's caused the Bill and Dolphins to have no franchise QBs since the 80s; it's that HOF quarterbacks are rarities. Which is why I can't figure out why people think they can appraise Jimmy as one in 1.5 games. Dozens of quarterbacks have looked brilliant before defenses caught onto them. You don't even consider throwing out the best of his generation for what could be Matt Cassell 2.0.

This is spot on.

Something I've said for a couple of years now. Whilst it's a gross overreaction to have suggested a 4-0 start for Jimmy G would have been justification to contemplate moving on, when Jimmy G comes up for renewal it really isn't that far fetched to suggest the Pats may make a shock decision.

There comes a point where you've got to trade in short term success for the longer term and a much wider picture. Brady is not playing for another five years. Isn't happening.

I just always think back to the Colts and their Manning/Luck situation. Those fans got to watch Manning shatter records in Denver while they themselves have had four years of okayness, with the constant assurance from the owner that that was what's best for the future of the team. Personally, I'd have rather had four more years of electric football from a legend and a Superbowl.

I'll do $20.

While this is legit, it's all in good fun.
So let's make sure we clarify what the wager is about. Is it simply TB12 stays and Jimmy goes/vice-versa and doesn't have an expiration date?

I just always think back to the Colts and their Manning/Luck situation. Those fans got to watch Manning shatter records in Denver while they themselves have had four years of okayness, with the constant assurance from the owner that that was what's best for the future of the team. Personally, I'd have rather had four more years of electric football from a legend and a Superbowl.
This is a solid alternative history to look at for comparison's sake. Obviously there's mitigating circumstances in that there was a very serious issue with PM's neck and questions about whether he could even still throw that made it an easier call for the Colts. I'd rather be saying "hindsight is 20/20" about JG doing well somewhere else than I would about Brady wearing another uniform. Plus JG - aka Glassroppolo - is the one that's broken parts, not old man Brady. I'm sure Brady can sympathize though, or would if he was allowed by rule of suspension to think football thoughts...he himself was "Probable (shoulder)" for many years.

Valid, although not sure Manning would've continued to shatter records with the colts. I agree when people say Luck is overrated, but that guy hasn't had the O Lines, lacked a running game and the defence isn't all that either. Behind a Colts O Line he'd have been crippled.

I think if we are every to make the transition, we have to do it when the team is in a good position to support the QB taking over. I think if not next year, 2018 will be the year we see a change.

That first half against Miami...you could have put Garoppolo in a #12 jersey and I'm not so sure you could've told the difference. Too early to crown him heir apparent just yet, but more performances like that and he sure as hell is. If we get the guy we think can take us forward we have to size that opportunity. Brady's drop-off will come quick. I'd rather see him bow out handing the reigns over (with a Super Bowl ring to boot), than us having to make that decision for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back