PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana talks Draft Class Quarterbacks

It's interesting to hear Montana's thoughts on some of the QBs that were in this draft class. As he points out, there's just no real proven way to know one way or another, so everything is still a bit of a crapshoot.

I agree with his thoughts on Bortles having the size and strength that everyone was looking for, which allowed him to go highest. I also think that he made some sense with his thoughts on Manziel as well. Obviously, there are some questions with Manziel, but he did make plays on a consistent level. That alone made him an intriguing prospect for some, although if NE's leaked report is true, there are many cons that went along with drafting him as well. Only time will tell for any of them.

Did he say anything about JG?

thinks derek carr is the sleeper qb of this draft. likes his mobility yet still a pocket guy, throws the ball with touch yet also has a strong enough arm to make all the throws, by his eyeball test carr has all the stuff you like to see.

manziel, you never know, but the same could be said about carr and the draft in general. hard to discount manziel because he's a playmaker, but joe sounded like he had some doubts. "we'll see."

the host mentioned bridgewater, but they never got around to discussing bridgewater. would have liked to hear joe's opinion on bridgewater since i've heard some comparisons of bridgewater to montana and brady.

no mention of garoppolo.

found a transcript more or less of the interview:

Joe Montana sees great things ahead for 49ers' Colin Kaepernick - San Jose Mercury News

Yeahbi liked Carr the best myself. However Gp is very similar to Carr. Lightning release,accurate bullets 6'2. However gp is slightly stronger,Carr Lil faster. However I think gp can do better than a 4.9. If he slimmed down to bout 216-219 n trained for the 40 like division one qbs get trained he could run sub 4.8. He needs to train for flexibility not bulk. But I think they r similar athletes. I just like carr a touch better overall. Gp could put the ball up 70 yards n may b a better deep thrower than credited. He had no wr who could run under a football. There was just no way for him to time deep throws. I'm not making excuses cuz I am blunt n honest bout a players ability. I'm roughly against average players and realistic bout hope for a player. If I don't c anything that special I'm hopeful but honest n realistic bout young talent. And Carr n Bridgewater I liked with gp very very close imho

I think it's funny that we never hear size of hands in the discussion which was all the rave draft night. The only time I've heard it mentioned during games is when Big Ben pulls it down. Thus, he must be really good.....The mention of Montana made me think of hand size.

9inch hands is big enough. Just cuz your hands aren't Sasquatch size doesn't mean small. Gp's hands r a Lil over 9" I believe which is fine.

9inch hands is big enough. Just cuz your hands aren't Sasquatch size doesn't mean small. Gp's hands r a Lil over 9" I believe which is fine.
Nine inch hands are fine. You just don't want a guy with Nine Inch Nails.;)

9 inch nails.jpg

BTW let me clarify something. I like Carr n bridge slightly better than gp. However he took a 2-12 team to championship caliber. Players that bad in that division. That is tough to do and an amazing accomplishment at any level. Could Carr or Bridgewater have done that. Combine that accomplishment with his arm strength and accuracy that's top notch done at Division1 level n Gp would have easily been the consensus #1 qb in the draft and a top 5 pick. So the pats got 2 players with ability of top 5 draft picks in the right scenario. Easley healthy through college n GP playing for a different school. Nonetheless talent is there to be top5.

The progression in his stats (from 14 TD/13 INT @7.8 YPA to 53/9 @8.9 YPA) is what excites me most.

Not if you're playing outdoors in the Northeast after Thanksgiving.

Lipstick-on-pig_thumb.jpg

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back