PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana-Steve Young Comparisons For Brady-Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point the only comparisons with Young are that they can both run and pass. Cassel has only done it 0.1% as much as Young did over an entire career.

But there are other interesting similarities as well, which were listed in the OP.

Yeah that thread is pretty insane. I know what you guys are talking about, the fans who oscillate between cutting Cassel or trading Brady depending on Cassel's most recent performance.

yeah that thread is pretty insane. I know what you guys are talking about, the fans who oscillate between cutting cassel or trading brady depending on cassel's most recent performance.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Young's secretary was named Lincoln and Cassel's Senator was named Kennedy

- Brady played against Lincoln Kennedy

- In Cassel's first FULL season, Ford and Lincoln both disappeared as nameplates...

Okay I made those up

- Young's secretary was named Lincoln and Cassel's Senator was named Kennedy

- Brady played against Lincoln Kennedy

- In Cassel's first FULL season, Ford and Lincoln both disappeared as nameplates...

Okay I made those up

Hilarious !!!!!!!

i think another issue is that there is a salary cap now

Totally random facts and I'm not trying to say anything with them...

Tom Brady made pro bowl his first year with:
413 attempts, 64% completion, 2800 yds, 18 td's, 12 int's, QB rating 86.5

Matt Cassel so far:
470 attempts, 64% completion, 3300 yds, 18 td's, 11 int's, QB rating 87.1

Steve Young's 1st year in which he had more than 150 passes with the 49ers in a season (he was 30 years old):
11 games, 280 attempts, 64% completion, 2500 yds, 17 td's, 8 int's, QB rating 101

Interesting discussion. Many good points made on boht sides, since any comparison is going to have weaknesses. Disco's point that Montana was four years older than Brady at the comparable time is pretty strong.

To me, the one big unknown in this discussion is whether TB will return to his old form (or 98% of it) after half a season (or more) or whether he will not be the same again. This is an injury that offers no guarantees and for which every case is unique. Assuming that the Patriots have been straight with us and his recovery is on track despite the infection, we can only wait and see how he does. The truth is that it might only be this time next year that we will know for sure.

Here are some more really weird facts that are more about Brady-Cassel 1st year similarities.

I posted above how they have really similar td, int, completion% numbers, and their ypa is the same too (6.9).

Others:
In 15 games Brady 32 passes of 20+ yards, 6 of 40+ yards, 41 sacks, int% of 2.9%

In 14 games Cassel 32 passes of 20+ yards, 4 of 40+ yards, 44 sacks, int% of 2.3%

I LOVE BILL BELICHICK's system <drinks kool aid>

I dont think comparing Brady and Cassel's first years starting are valid comparisons;
Cassel has the one of the top 3 wide receivers of all time; and the best slot receiver the Patriots ever had;
Brady had average to below average wide receivers.

I know you are kidding. However this is a business and a lot of fans will forget what Brady has done for this team.

I dunno about fans, but the the guy in the gray hoodie, doesn't give two hoots what you did for the team last year or the year before that. Only what he perceives you are capable of doing this year or next year. If another team is willing to offer more in picks than BB feels Tom is worth going forward with his current injury situation, BB will make that trade.

I like to think of this in a very simple way...

The only way the Brady vs Cassel comparison really gets off the ground is if the Pats make it to the SB and Cassell brings a ring home...

If that happens, then Kraft and BB have a real thorn ...

Who do you keep?

Well, if that scenario really happens, from a business viewpoint, it would make sense to trade TB for some fantastic picks, slap the franchise tag on Cassell and keep him...

Any other scenario sees TB returning as our starting QB (assuming he's ready to play). If he needs more time for his rehab, then it's a really tricky situation. I guess they may make a 1 year deal with Matt (I assume he'll want to play here ). However, if there are some really heavy offers, they can either put the franchise tag on him or let him go. It all depends on how much cap room they have (not much I think). I think that in this scenario, they'll let Matt go.

In a secret tape Pats owner Bob Kraftgojevich said Brady's vacant starting quarterback position was f_kcing golden and he wasn't giving it up for f_uking nothing. That mothef_kcer Jerry Jones wasn't giving any F_ukcing thing but his appreciation, so F him! Goodell's name was mentioned on the tape as possibly getting an ambassadorship to England and wants 10 games a year played there to look the other way and PA senator Arlin Spector was heard on tape demanding a comcast deal or he's spilling the beans. Kraftgojevich was heard telling Specter to go F himself.

in a secret tape pats owner bob kraftgojevich said brady's vacant starting quarterback position was f_kcing golden and he wasn't giving it up for f_uking nothing. That mothef_kcer jerry jones wasn't giving any f_ukcing thing but his appreciation, so f him! Goodell's name was mentioned on the tape as possibly getting an ambassadorship to england and wants 10 games a year played there to look the other way and pa senator arlin spector was heard on tape demanding a comcast deal or he's spilling the beans. Kraftgojevich was heard telling specter to go f himself.

bwahahahahaha

Big difference is Tom Brady will be 32 at the start of next season.

Joe Montana was 36 years old the season he returned from injury.

plus the science and medicine aspect of healing has improved exponentially since montana went down. lets hope we have both matty and tommy back next year,healthy

This exact same thread was started after we drafted Kevin O'connell

This exact same thread was started after we drafted Kevin O'connell
I'm looking forward to the O'Connell/Cassel comparison threads... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye