Welcome to PatsFans.com

Joe Montana-Steve Young Comparisons For Brady-Cassel

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by maverick4, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

-Montana and Brady were the superstars and had each won 3 rings first before Young/Cassel came into the spotlight for a bit.
    -Montana/Brady were both known as less athletic and slow (Brady) or frail (Montana).
    -Young/Cassel were both so athletic their coaches had them play defense in HS or college.
    -Young/Cassel known for being double threats, able to punish teams through passing or their legs.
    -Both Young/Cassel had Hall of Fame receiver targets to throw to (Moss, Jerry Rice)
    -Montana and Brady both had no-name receivers their first few Superbowl championships.
    -Montana (Brady possibly) came back with a vengeance from injury to claim a 4th ring.
    -All 4 QB's groomed by Hall of Fame football coaches named Bill (Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick).

Steve Young (athlete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Big difference is Tom Brady will be 32 at the start of next season.

Joe Montana was 36 years old the season he returned from injury.
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I forgot to add others that happened for Montana/Young, and a possible future for Brady/Cassel:

- Montana/Brady comes back from injury with a vengeance and gives a historic 1989/2009 Championship season.
    - After another injury 49ers trade Montana for picks, anoint Young the starter.
    - Young wins an MVP award and eventually takes the 49ers to the promise-land.
    - Jerry Rice/Moss ends up forming a second record-setting duo with Young/Cassel.
  4. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Steve Young was left handed.
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Please look up your history, Montana got hurt multiple times, Young had his first chance in 1987 when Montana got hurt. When Montana was traded that was already after their 4th Superbowl and it was already the early 90's by then.
  6. Patriot_dynasty

Patriot_dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not a bad post at all...interesting. There are teams in the league that wish they had the Patriots "situation" at QB..
  7. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Patriots have to handle the situation correctly.I am sure they will. I bet Brady never plays a game as a Patriot again. :(
  8. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My history is correct.

Joe Montana was still the starter in the 1990 season, and was also elected to the Pro-Bowl that season.

He then missed the entire 1991 season due to injury and wasn't officially replaced as the starter until 1992, when he was 36 years old. Of course Young had many appearances due to Montana's injuries before, but he was never ahead of Montana on the depth chart for any reason other than injury until 1992.

If you're doing a comparison, it needs to be based on the first season Montana missed the entire season, as Brady is now.

Joe Montana
    1990: 49ers starting QB / AFC Pro-Bowl Selection
    1991: Out for season
    1992: 36 years old / Benched behind Steve Young

Tom Brady
    2007: Patriots starting QB / NFL MVP
    2008: Out for season
    2009: 32 years old

Joe Montana's season before his season ending injury - while good, wasn't nearly as impressive as the greatest season by a quarterback in NFL history, and he was 4 years older than Brady will be when he returned. I do not find the situations nearly as comparable as people would like to tell you.
  9. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -2

My Jersey:

that's a bet you'd lose....for so many reasons I'd be hard pressed to count them all...unless YOU are convinced Brady will never play again.
  10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

Unfortunately, the salary cap makes that situation nearly impossible since we're not done with our Joe Montana yet.
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That doesn't make sense. Brady seems to be rehabilitating well and poised back for another monster season. The Patriots are also rationale and will probably sign or franchise Cassel as insurance in case Brady's recovery doesn't go well.

To go back to the 49ers parallel, Montana suffered a few major injuries, allowing Young to play, but Montana still delivered a 4th ring even after people knew Young was a keeper.
  12. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I wasn't being serious.
  13. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'll put it like this:

You can have either A or B.

A) Matt Cassel, and these picks: 1st 2009, 1st 2010, 2nd 2009, 2nd 2010 (Assume top-10 draft for 2009, anyone's guess for 2010).

B) Tom Brady.

I'm not really sure which you pick.
  14. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -2

My Jersey:

I take back what I said then...
  15. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What are the odds Brady would go to the horrible team that would offer all those picks?
    Tom Brady starting qb for the Detriot Lions.........
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sure it's not a *perfect comparison*, but I don't think it's fair to compare Montana's first entire missed season at age 36 with Brady's at age 32. The issue is about an unknown backup replacing a superstar, and I think that's why we need to look at when Montana first started missing significant time in the late 1980's, starting with 1987 when Steve Young came in and started playing great. If you look at when Montana started getting seriously hurt, that was when he was age 31-32, similar to Brady right now.
  17. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Admittedly, I don't really know how many picks a given player is worth. I just kinda pulled something out of my.... hat.

That being said, I could see the Lions doing it. I can't see, however, the Pats doing that to TB.
  18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Montana went to the Chiefs and took them deep in the playoffs and had a few winning seasons with Schottenheimer and Marcus Allen. At the time the Chiefs and Broncos had some epic games and a great rivalry. If god forbid the Pats ever trade Brady a few years from now, I hope we send him to the NFC in a good rivalry.
  19. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Tom should just retire and give up his job. He has no chance of getting it back in this town.
  20. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Belichick would. I doubt Kraft would.
  21. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I know you are kidding. However this is a business and a lot of fans will forget what Brady has done for this team.
  22. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Here's another moron misreading the thread. Who here is saying Brady is done?
  23. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Who are you calling a moron? Watch it pal? I would rather see Brady retire than watch him play for another team. It appears that this situation is headed in that direction.
  24. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This team will NOT trade Brady unless they are ABSOLUTELY certain that he won't ever play again. Period.

I love Matt Cassel, but lets please not keep up with this crap. It's Tom's job until he is unable to physically perform. We aren't even close to that point.
  25. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm saying your sarcasm isn't funny because nobody here is knocking Brady or saying he is done or should be traded. There is merely a strong comparison being made with a similar situation 20 years ago. And in that situation Montana wasn't traded until 5 years after his first serious injury and several years after the team already knew Young could play.
  26. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Brady will be back next season. Call it intuition. Part of the free agent attraction is the intangible of playing with Tom Brady. That is something Cassel is yet to develop.

I don't care who we sign, as long as it makes this TEAM better. The emphasis on team.

Cassel has far outreached in our wildest dreams what we thought he could do. Clearly he hasn't the coaching staff.

I'm not worried about Tom Brady. He is too professional and to driven to accept "fate". The big offseason question is what do we do with Cassel to leverage his explosion onto the scene?

P.S
    This is a very nice problem to have re: Montana-Young comparison.
  27. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They already have.
  28. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Interesting comparison. The impressive thing is that Cassel doesn't have near the experience Young had before getting a chance to start full time. Damn shame that he didn't have just ONE more year on that contract :(
  29. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree and hope you are correct. I just think your wrong.Brady will be a Lion next year.LOL!
  30. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How is making an analogy with current times with something similar 20 years ago, somehow forgetting or dismissing what Brady has done for this team?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.