PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Jurevicius or Randle-El

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjames

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
These are two names being thrown around as possible Patriot aquisitions. Who would you rather have?

Obviosuly Randle-El had a huge day yesterday, is Patriot-versatile, and could even seve as the 3rd QB, which would open up a roster spot. The one question mark I would have on him, is despite all the extras, can he consistently make the 3rd and 6 catch that is the bread and butter of being a Patriots receiver?

Jurevicius is kind of boring, but seems to work his ass off, get open, do his job, and every team he plays for seems to end up in the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
jimmyjames said:
These are two names being thrown around as possible Patriot aquisitions. Who would you rather have?

Obviosuly Randle-El had a huge day yesterday, is Patriot-versatile, and could even seve as the 3rd QB, which would open up a roster spot. The one question mark I would have on him, is despite all the extras, can he consistently make the 3rd and 6 catch that is the bread and butter of being a Patriots receiver?

Jurevicius is kind of boring, but seems to work his ass off, get open, do his job, and every team he plays for seems to end up in the Super Bowl.

:rofl:
squeelertoss.gif
:rofl:

Michael said:
Well McGinnest did the same thing and he's no dummy. I'd take Randal-El.

They will both want more than they are worth

I like Jurevicious but think he will want more money than Bill will pay. Randle-El will clearly over rate himself. If we are going to overpay then lets overpay for Givens.

I like him best.

BelichickFan said:
Well McGinnest did the same thing and he's no dummy. I'd take Randal-El.

I was upset with Willie when he did it too. Especially since that game was after this Pitts game. But, Willie's wasn't as egregious and he didn't turn the ball over. I'm sure Randle-El wouldn't come cheap. I don't want to ever see him in a Patriots uniform.

p8ryts said:
I like Jurevicious but think he will want more money than Bill will pay. Randle-El will clearly over rate himself. If we are going to overpay then lets overpay for Givens.

I like him best.

I could see the Pats adding Jurevicius even if they keep Givens. I disgree that he is going to be super expensive.

Randle El is said to be coveted by the Bears. He would clearly be the Givens replacement, in which case I agree with you that if they are going to overpay, they should keep Givens.

How about neither? There's other names out there you know. Randle El will be offered too much money, and Jurevicious is just plain too old and slow and I don't want him.

jimmyjames said:
I could see the Pats adding Jurevicius even if they keep Givens. I disgree that he is going to be super expensive.

Randle El is said to be coveted by the Bears. He would clearly be the Givens replacement, in which case I agree with you that if they are going to overpay, they should keep Givens.

I hope what you say is true. Jurevicius is a beast, Seattle's most consistent player yesterday by far. I'd say the best player in the game next to Hines Ward. I'd certainly hope for him as a Pat.

drew4008 said:
How about neither? There's other names out there you know.

Not really. Until teams start making cuts, there is not much depth to be had at WR this year. Here is the list of Unrestricted Free agent receivers:

David Givens - Obviously everyone's first choice, but will probably get a better offer from someone else, no matter what the Pats offer
Reggie Wayne - Would command same, if not more money than Givens
Antonio Bryant - Very big gamble - Donald Hayes anyone?
Keenan McCardell - Actually makes sense for Pats, stop gap until younger, long term solution can be found, won't break the bank
Koren Robinson - I'm sure he'll stop dropping the ball so much and run good routes now that he's in rehab
Antwan Randle El - If Givens leaves, the fact that he can save a roster spot for a thrid QB and contribute on special teams could make his high salary more palatable
Joe Jurevicius - basically same as McCardell

Restricted FA - Probably not going anywhere and can't see Pats matching offers and giving up draft picks for any of these guys
Brandon Lloyd
Nate Burleson
Kevin Curtis

jimmyjames said:
drew4008 said:
How about neither? There's other names out there you know.

Not really. Until teams start making cuts, there is not much depth to be had at WR this year. Here is the list of Unrestricted Free agent receivers:

David Givens - Obviously everyone's first choice, but will probably get a better offer from someone else, no matter what the Pats offer
Reggie Wayne - Would command same, if not more money than Givens
Antonio Bryant - Very big gamble - Donald Hayes anyone?
Keenan McCardell - Actually makes sense for Pats, stop gap until younger, long term solution can be found, won't break the bank
Koren Robinson - I'm sure he'll stop dropping the ball so much and run good routes now that he's in rehab
Antwan Randle El - If Givens leaves, the fact that he can save a roster spot for a thrid QB and contribute on special teams could make his high salary more palatable
Joe Jurevicius - basically same as McCardell

Restricted FA - Probably not going anywhere and can't see Pats matching offers and giving up draft picks for any of these guys
Brandon Lloyd
Nate Burleson
Kevin Curtis

lol

You forgot T.O.

He is technically still under contract and the possibilities and ramifications of him becoming a Pat have been well documented on this board.

Same for Eric Moulds

I would love to have Jurevicious. No question. I would take him over Randle El 10 times out of 10.

If I had to choose, I would pick Jurevicius. He is a dependable target with fantastic size that is made for the slot role. However, he could play #2 if asked.

Neither receiver would replace Givens fully. That being said, I would take Jurevicius as a 3rd WR with Givens, Wayne or Moulds as a #2. The signing of Jurevicius would not deter other wide receivers from wanting to sign with us because he is a veteran, not a prospect. Randle El's signing would make it harder to sign other prospects, and Givens would never sign with us if we also signed Randle El.

Assuming we resign Davis, Dwight and Childress, and maybe Brown, what possibility would you prefer:

A. Branch, Randle El, Davis, Dwight, Draftee, Childress
B. Branch, Other WR Signing, Jurevicius, Davis, Dwight, Childress

I think that Jurevicius is good enough to be a short-term #2 WR. However, he has played #3 receiver in Seattle so I doubt he would be unwilling to play in this role.

Other WR prospects that are UFA and possibly worth signing:
Arnaz Battle, SF (RFAs): 59% catch rate. Has made some spectacular catches for the 49ers. Battle would work well with a QB that was qualified for the position (aka not Alex Smith). Battle would require a 6th round pick as compensation.
Antonio Bryant, CLE: 56% catch rate. Bryant is a big receiver (6'2") with a 1000-yard season under his belt. He gets open and had an impressive 14.7 ypc average last year.
Reche Caldwell, SD: 65% catch rate. Though Caldwell has played a nickel role most of his career due to injuries, he has good hands and decent size (6'0").
David Boston, MIA: Don't laugh. Boston only had 4 receptions with the Dolphins this year and could be looking for a comeback. Would be extremely cheap if we wanted him.
Rod Gardner, CAR: 50% catch rate. Though he doesn't have the best hands, Gardner has two 1000-yard seasons under his belt and could be an asset. A boom-or bust prospect.
Az Hakim, NO: 59% catch rate. Hakim has been in the league for 8 years but is only 28. Hakim would be an excellent pickup as a WR if Davis or Dwight didn't resign.
Koren Robinson, MIN: 59% catch rate. Made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. Even if he doesn't play much as a WR, which I suspect he would because of his size and speed, you can always use a good KR/PR. Though he has had a lot of controversy lately, he may still be worth a pickup.

Really depends on how much money they'll want. I like Jurevicious. When he was made the #1 receiver this year due to Seattle injuries, he was great.

I forgot about Az Hakim and Reche Caldwell. Caldwell had a big day against the Pats this year. He might be an option.

Hard to believe Hakim is only 28. I would still prefer Jurevicius though.

I'll pass on David Boston, he pumped his muscles right off of his skeleton. I think NE has enough injury risks without him.

Arnaz Battle could be very good too. Used to playing a number 2 or 3 role. Flair for dramatic catches, good on the KR/PR. Still tough to imagine BB/SP giving up draft picks to get him

Anybody interested in any of these names?

Antonio Bryant
Jabar Gaffney
Koren Robinson
Peerless Price
Rod Gardner
Quincy Morgan
Peter Warrick

Jurevicious is a #1 or #2 receiver
Randel-El is a #3 receiver/returner/3rd QB

They meet different needs. Both are likely to be overpriced.

jimmyjames said:
drew4008 said:
Antwan Randle El -
he can save a roster spot for a thrid QB
The first time you said this I thought you were joking. You need three QBs, not 2 QBs and Slash Jr.

How about neither. Jurivicious is a Donald Hayes clone, Randel El is fast and that's about it! Re-sign Givens or sign Moulds, End of Story!

You need two QB's and an Emergency third. If having Randle El as the emergency third would allow NE to carry an extra RB or DB, I think it's worth it. If the case arose that Brady went down and the back up (presumably Cassel) became the starter there are always a lot more viable street free agent QB's available to add to the roster than viable RB's and DB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes