PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Gets Bucked From Fox Pregame

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayjoe

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I believe this news will make a few people happy.

POSTED 4:14 p.m. EDT, March 29, 2007

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that FOX's Joe Buck will not return as host of the network's pregame show in 2007. Instead, Buck will continue to serve as the network's No. 1 play-by-play voice.

No offense to Joe, but it's a great move.

He didn't add enough to justify carting Terry and Jimmy and Howie and Curt Menefee (who stepped in for the halftime reports) all over the country. And then there was the ever-present risk of the fans at the site of the road show barking out profane words or showing profane signs or wearing profane T-shirts.

The official reason for the change is that the network supposedly incurred higher-than-expected costs. (Apparently, they hadn't properly estimated Terry Bradshaw's appetite for in-room adult movies.) But we think that's just a smarmy way of admitting that they weren't getting the bang for the buck (pun not really intended but noticed) by doing the show anywhere other than at the FOX studio in L.A.

Menefee is, as it turned out, very good, and we believe that he's sufficiently non-Theismannesque to allow the other guys to poke fun at him (e.g., his resemblance to "Rerun" from What's Happening!). With Buck, there simply isn't a sense that jokes about his pedicures or pinky rings would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, we're glad to see that the networks are so willing to make changes. Even if no one is willing to admit that the changes were badly needed.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I believe this news will make a few people happy.

POSTED 4:14 p.m. EDT, March 29, 2007

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that FOX's Joe Buck will not return as host of the network's pregame show in 2007. Instead, Buck will continue to serve as the network's No. 1 play-by-play voice.

No offense to Joe, but it's a great move.

He didn't add enough to justify carting Terry and Jimmy and Howie and Curt Menefee (who stepped in for the halftime reports) all over the country. And then there was the ever-present risk of the fans at the site of the road show barking out profane words or showing profane signs or wearing profane T-shirts.

The official reason for the change is that the network supposedly incurred higher-than-expected costs. (Apparently, they hadn't properly estimated Terry Bradshaw's appetite for in-room adult movies.) But we think that's just a smarmy way of admitting that they weren't getting the bang for the buck (pun not really intended but noticed) by doing the show anywhere other than at the FOX studio in L.A.

Menefee is, as it turned out, very good, and we believe that he's sufficiently non-Theismannesque to allow the other guys to poke fun at him (e.g., his resemblance to "Rerun" from What's Happening!). With Buck, there simply isn't a sense that jokes about his pedicures or pinky rings would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, we're glad to see that the networks are so willing to make changes. Even if no one is willing to admit that the changes were badly needed.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

What they REALLY should do is remove Joe Buck from football entirely. He is nothing like his father; he calls football like it's a baseball game -- droll, understated, no excitement in his voice. And I don't know how many times has he said, "I'm a baseball guy!" There are a million play-by-play announcers -- football knowledgeable people -- who should be in there instead.

What they REALLY should do is remove Joe Buck from football entirely. He is nothing like his father; he calls football like it's a baseball game -- droll, understated, no excitement in his voice. And I don't know how many times has he said, "I'm a baseball guy!" There are a million play-by-play announcers -- football knowledgeable people -- who should be in there instead.
Amen!!!! Plus he hates it when people fake-moon a crowd. What a kill-joy ;)

Amen!!!! Plus he hates it when people fake-moon a crowd. What a kill-joy ;)

I thought he completely overreacted to that. That is like the only thing he has every gotten excited about. lol

i prefer the cbs telecast to the rest of them .im glad they cover the lions share of the afc games.

I didn't like Menefee much, but I wasn't watching all that often, so maybe he's better than I remember.

Buck is OK. I can tolerate him better in football than in baseball, maybe because I think Aikman does a good job and I can't stand McCarver, so baseball with those two is when I mute.

He sucks at calling baseball games, too. He gives his opinion way too much for a play-by-play guy.

alright, i 'll be the one to say it. " joe buck sucks".

Buck is such a smarmy, hypocritical, mundane, self-important POS. He may be my least favorite media person outside of New England. I really can't stand him and I would love to see him removed from all sports-related jobs and end up a dishwasher at Denny's.

Other than that, he's OK.

Buck is such a smarmy, hypocritical, mundane, self-important POS. He may be my least favorite media person outside of New England. I really can't stand him and I would love to see him removed from all sports-related jobs and end up a dishwasher at Denny's.

Other than that, he's OK.

What he said. Though you can throw in McCarver with him. It's a shame too because I do like Aikman

Buck is such a smarmy, hypocritical, mundane, self-important POS.

Sadly those are the combination of traits that are required to be a lead play by play guy for a network - See Costas, Robert and Nantz, James for other examples.

Listening to Ken "Hawk" Harrelson makes Joe Buck sound like Vin Scully. . .The Hawk is the most annoying I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing