PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Flacco now the highest paid QB in NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting theory, and one that's certainly untrue when it comes to the loss against the Ravens.
interesting, not necessarily. Untrue, absolutely not.

This is good for a couple reasons IMO:
1) As much as I despise the Ravens and their collection of numbnuts, mental patients, and criminals they call a team, Flacco is not one of them. He definitely outplayed Brady in the AFCCG and did well in the playoffs to win the SB. He earned it and I respect that.
2) This has got to limit the Ravens salary cap and their ability to retain and/or pick up good players via free agency and helping to propel them into mediocrity hell.

Hate when people say one qb out plays another..if Brady played against the pats D he'd put up 100

Hate when people say one qb out plays another..if Brady played against the pats D he'd put up 100

Whatever, call it what you want. IMO Flacco played the better game against the team in front of him on that day. All I'm saying is that Flacco earned his payday during those games played in January.

I can already see it...

What if I told you a puppet went from Sesame Street to highest paid QB in NFL history?

-ESPN 30 for 30

Whatever, call it what you want. IMO Flacco played the better game against the team in front of him on that day. All I'm saying is that Flacco earned his payday during those games played in January.

So if Brady scored 30 points on a high school team with the Patriots offense, while Joe Flacco scored 20 points with a supporting cast of high schoolers against the Patriots defense, clearly Brady out played Flacco. Because player evaluation is done in a vacuum with absolutely zero context.

Child please.

Flacco is a ****** with a cannon arm. He had at least 3 or 4 passes I counted that resulted in 30 yard gains that should not have been thrown and he was lucky were not intercepted. I mean the entire Ravens offense consists of hopping on the back of Ray Rice and Flacco closing his eyes and throwing it as deep as he can every once in a while.

Flacco didn't outplay Brady. Boldin outplayed Marquise Cole.

EDIT:
Anyways my reaction to the news....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ravens window is officially closed.

I would have agreed with you right up until this past postseason. Any QB who can go on a tear like that pretty much has to be elite.

It just seems rather silly to me to throw someone ~$120 million because of three good games, no matter how important. We'll see I guess. I'm strongly betting that he doesn't come close to living up to that contract.

It just seems rather silly to me to throw someone ~$120 million because of three good games, no matter how important. We'll see I guess. I'm strongly betting that he doesn't come close to living up to that contract.

I'm betting that he doesn't live up to that contract either. 2 things come to mind though:

1. Until we see the details we can't say for sure what's really going on. It could be that BAL set themselves up for an out, thus making it something closer to a 3/60 or 4/80 deal. We've seen many deals in the past that weren't an nice as they initially looked.

2. These franchise QBs continue to raise the bar, so the going rate is pretty much 20 million per year aav. When you consider players like Stafford, E.Manning, Roethlisberger, etc getting paid deals that are comparable, it's hard not to say the same for a guy who has taken his team to the playoffs in every single year that he's been the QB, including 3 AFCCG and a SB win.

I agree with you that he shouldn't have received that big of a deal, but the one name that sticks out to me for a deal comparison may be his intra-division rival Roethlisberger. He signed a deal for 8/102, but that was all the way back in the spring of 2008, so the market has raised significantly since then.

I'd think that he should have been paid something closer to 6/100 instead based on his production/leadership and what the market dictates. That would have been approx. 16 million aav. I think that is fair. One thing to consider though is what the market will be like in 4-5 yrs down the line, and to be honest 16 million aav for a SB winning QB and a consistent playoff producing QB probably wouldn't be enough.

That's also one more positive in regards to us locking up Brady long-term.

Baltimore is making some interesting changes, two leaders on defense gone..

And now they are spending this much on a QB?? Their old model seemed successsful, we will see about the new one..

Flacco had a good run last year, lets see how it works out this year.

I definitely agree with you that Flacco doesn't belong in that tier.

He took them to the playoffs in his first 5 seasons or something, including 3 AFCCG's, which finally resulted in a SB win this year.

Yes, he does. Joe Flacco is now right there with Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Eli Manning as the in-their-prime top QBs.

Brady and Peyton Manning are geezers, and the young guns are last year's rookies. These guys are the second tier - I include Brady, The Forehead, Wilson, Kaepernick, RG3 and Luck.

Flacco has definitely separated from Matty Ryan, Matt Stafford, Philip Rivers, etc who are third tier guys. You make the point that Flacco is a consistent winner who is now wearing the ring.

Yes, he does. Joe Flacco is now right there with Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Eli Manning as the in-their-prime top QBs.

Brady and Peyton Manning are geezers, and the young guns are last year's rookies. These guys are the second tier - I include Brady, The Forehead, Wilson, Kaepernick, RG3 and Luck.

Flacco has definitely separated from Matty Ryan, Matt Stafford, Philip Rivers, etc who are third tier guys. You make the point that Flacco is a consistent winner who is now wearing the ring.

In past posts, I am on record stating that Joe Flacco is a solid NFL QB. He has evolved from purely a caretaker to a playmaker who has been able to still limit his mistakes and keep the team in the best position to win. Is he worth the money they plan on paying him? Not sure but I do know if Flacco walks, BAL is looking at a 5-11 season.

Obviously his regular season numbers are not in the TB, PM, Rodgers catagory, but in the playoffs, he has a 10-3 record and the last 3 playoff runs they've gone to 3 straight AFCCGs, had 95 or better QB rating in 7 of his last 8 playoff games and the offense has averaged 27.5ppg. IMO he deserves just as much credit as the BAL defense.

Clearly hes improved as a QB, done well in the postseason and was in a superior negotiating position. Good for him.

So say he played well against the pats D. Brady does not play D.

So say he played well against the pats D. Brady does not play D.

Like I said, spin it 1,000 different ways, but at the end of the day the Ravens and Flacco were the better team. Do I think Flacco is a better QB than Brady.....NO PHUCKING WAY. The point being that Flacco finally accomplished what all of his critics were claiming he couldn't do and from it he has earned the big payday.

The Ravens couldn't let him walk, so either way he was always going to get paid.

In terms of the value of the contract, he's played well when it matters most for the last two years - having watched our QB make his name and fortune doing that, I don't see how any Pats fan can question the reasons behind the size of his pay-day.

When you draft/sign a QB, it's because you believe he can take you to the top. Flacco's done that, and he's being paid accordingly, in his eyes and the Ravens eyes - and they are all that matters.

So if Brady scored 30 points on a high school team with the Patriots offense, while Joe Flacco scored 20 points with a supporting cast of high schoolers against the Patriots defense, clearly Brady out played Flacco. Because player evaluation is done in a vacuum with absolutely zero context.

Child please.

Flacco is a ****** with a cannon arm. He had at least 3 or 4 passes I counted that resulted in 30 yard gains that should not have been thrown and he was lucky were not intercepted. I mean the entire Ravens offense consists of hopping on the back of Ray Rice and Flacco closing his eyes and throwing it as deep as he can every once in a while.

Flacco didn't outplay Brady. Boldin outplayed Marquise Cole.

EDIT:
Anyways my reaction to the news....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ravens window is officially closed.

You call me a "child" and then go on to refer to Flacco as a "re---d"? Are you still in middle school or do you just hang out with middle-schoolers? Honestly, I don't give a crap if you think Brady wasn't outplayed by his counterpart in that game.

No. He is not even remotely close to Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees.

If the Packers or Saints said "we will give you our QB for Flacco and a first round pick" the Ravens would jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

If you're putting Wilson Kaepernick, RG3 and Luck anywhere near Brady and Peyton's class I honestly don't know what to tell you but try watching a game sometime. I mean I am honestly embarrassed for you if you think that and embarrassed that you call yourself a Patriots fan if you know that little about football.

Like I said, spin it 1,000 different ways, but at the end of the day the Ravens and Flacco were the better team. Do I think Flacco is a better QB than Brady.....NO PHUCKING WAY. The point being that Flacco finally accomplished what all of his critics were claiming he couldn't do and from it he has earned the big payday.

No one is denying that the Ravens were the better team.

Flacco is a mental midget with a rocket arm. He closed his eyes and hurled it as far as he could on more than one occasion in the SB. It's the same thing Sanchez and the Jets tried to do last season except Sanchez's receievers aren't as talented and Joe has a bigger arm.

Just because a player wins a SB doesn't mean they should become the highest paid in the history of the NFL. He is NOT worth 20% of the Ravens cap, he is NOT able to carry 20% of the weight of the franchise. 20 mill per year is way too much for a one trick pony who played 3 good games on a loaded team.

Sorry, Jermichael Finley is not as good, or even better than Gronkowski just because he has a ring.

You call me a "child" and then go on to refer to Flacco as a "re---d"? Are you still in middle school or do you just hang out with middle-schoolers? Honestly, I don't give a crap if you think Brady wasn't outplayed by his counterpart in that game.

:rolleyes:

Just so it's clear.

-Saints fans hate Drew Brees now
-Brees contract is a behemoth on their cap
-Their talent has significantly regressed because of his contract
-Saints fans are now saying they have no chance at a title for next five years (Brees contract ends then)
-Drew Brees is a significantly better QB than Flacco
-Schefter is reporting Flacco's deal costs more than Brees a little bit in almost every single way (annual, whole sum, bonuses, etc.)

Ravens are going to lose Ellerby, Williams, Reed, Boldin, Kruger, Leech because of this contract, and of course are losing Lewis. That's 3 starting linebackers, starting corner, their #1 receiver, and fullback for a run first team.

This deal is the exact kind of deal that stops an elongated run. These deals aren't given out by the Patriots and are exactly why the Patriots have stayed competitive while the Steelers, Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins etc. all might have had a nice run or two, but the price of overpaying all came back to bite them and killed their team.

If you're putting Wilson Kaepernick, RG3 and Luck anywhere near Brady and Peyton's class I honestly don't know what to tell you but try watching a game sometime. I mean I am honestly embarrassed for you if you think that and embarrassed that you call yourself a Patriots fan if you know that little about football.

I am not talking about career comparisons. I'm just saying where these guys rank right now.

All five QBs made the playoffs. All five have solid to very good teams and head coaches. Kaepernick went the furthest.

Answer this: would you trade Tom Brady even up (considering contract and age) for any one of Wilson, Luck, RG3 or Manning?

I am not talking about career comparisons. I'm just saying where these guys rank right now.

All five QBs made the playoffs. All five have solid to very good teams and head coaches. Kaepernick went the furthest.

Answer this: would you trade Tom Brady even up (considering contract and age) for any one of Wilson, Luck, RG3 or Manning?

If we're doing this, then we're not saying where these guys rank "right now." Would you prefer Russell Wilson at QB for the Pats next season instead of Brady, just for next season?

Also, you cannot possibly believe Flacco is on the same level as Aaron freaking Godgers. Amazing what a postseason run can do to warp perceptions of talent.

"No one is denying that the Ravens were the better team.

Flacco is a mental midget with a rocket arm. He closed his eyes and hurled it as far as he could on more than one occasion in the SB. It's the same thing Sanchez and the Jets tried to do last season except Sanchez's receievers aren't as talented and Joe has a bigger arm.

Just because a player wins a SB doesn't mean they should become the highest paid in the history of the NFL. He is NOT worth 20% of the Ravens cap, he is NOT able to carry 20% of the weight of the franchise. 20 mill per year is way too much for a one trick pony who played 3 good games on a loaded team."

Flacco was also a combination dropped/swatted pass from going to and possibly winning a SB last year. IMO The jury is still out on Flacco and whether or not he belongs in the "elite" status, but the Ravens had to give him a substantial contract. Personally, I think Flacco is a solid to good QB and the Ravens will be in contention for a few more years than you might think. They have a good management that maintained the core of their D for a long time and haven't been too shabby at drafting either. I like that they gave Flacco this deal because it only limits their ability to retain and possibly sign players in upcoming free-agency.

"Sorry, Jermichael Finley is not as good, or even better than Gronkowski just because he has a ring."

Great. Thanks for pointing that out for the rest of us.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey