PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Flacco now the highest paid QB in NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to write a big thank you note to the idiotic Denver Broncos' DB that let Jacoby Jones free for that 70-yard TD.
He might want to drop a note to Wes Welker, while he's at it. And I 'm a guy who really wants Wes back.

I would have agreed with you right up until this past postseason. Any QB who can go on a tear like that pretty much has to be elite.

Eli's done it twice, and he's not elite. Flacco can't even smell elite from where he's standing.

Eli's done it twice, and he's not elite. Flacco can't even smell elite from where he's standing.

according to his contract..he is better than montana and elway combined. This is going to hurt the ravens in the long run trying to stay competitive

He might want to drop a note to Wes Welker, while he's at it. And I 'm a guy who really wants Wes back.

Hernandez had had huge drops in both of the last two playoff losses as well. Maybe Flacco can send him a fruit basket.

how much of that 8 million is for draft picks?? Say 4 million.....so they have 4 million to play with.....so they are going to have to do alot of restructuring......but sooner or later....you will have to pay the piper....

Not sure where you get "8" from? They have upwards of 20 million, so maybe you meant 18 instead?

I have no idea how their situation is any different than any other NFL team to be honest with you? As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how different their situation is from our own team, considering we have Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Edelman, Arrington, Woodhead, and Thomas.

Maybe the way their pacts are set up down the road, but other than Suggs the only other overpriced player I see is L.Webb, and they think he's an up and coming top tier CB. Only time will tell how much Ozzie Newsome is in 'cap hell,' but I'm holding off on going overboard like about 90% of the population has done and continues to do.

18 cap room minus 10 million (flacco) = 8 miion

Not sure where you get "8" from? They have upwards of 20 million, so maybe you meant 18 instead?

I have no idea how their situation is any different than any other NFL team to be honest with you? As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how different their situation is from our own team, considering we have Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Edelman, Arrington, Woodhead, and Thomas.

Maybe the way their pacts are set up down the road, but other than Suggs the only other overpriced player I see is L.Webb, and they think he's an up and coming top tier CB. Only time will tell how much Ozzie Newsome is in 'cap hell,' but I'm holding off on going overboard like about 90% of the population has done and continues to do.

"8" is what is left over from the 18 they have now after you account for Flacco. then 4 for rookies and then they have roughly 4 left over for their own free agents

Hernandez had had huge drops in both of the last two playoff losses as well. Maybe Flacco can send him a fruit basket.

seemed like hernandez had the case of alligator arms at the end of the season

I would guess Flacco will look something like this:

2013: $10-12 million
2014: $18 million
2015: $20 million
2016: $23 million
2017: $24 million
2018: $25 million

Which gives them $6 to 8 million to play with this year.

Until they cut Jacoby Jones which frees up another 4.5 million, and/or restructure someone else....

I'd have to guess they could free up another 8-9 million without it being too drastic of a situation. Only time will tell how much of a dead cap hit they'll have to deal with if they have to release a higher priced player like Suggs etc down the road.

Of course by then the cap will have gone up, they'll have had at least another draft or two along with a couple of offseason periods, and their younger players like Courtney Upshaw will have had time to try and develop.

It's difficult to project how much teams will be hampered by the future salary cap, but for teams who normally don't do stupid things like what the Jets did, it's irrelevant. They scouted poorly, signed bad news players with character concerns, and re-signed/extended one of the worst QBs in the game. Their problems go way beyond bad cap managment, yet so many want to compare teams who need to make some moves to horrific stories like the NYJ.

There will be plenty of teams who aren't in a "good" situation and have to scramble every year to make cuts and free up money. I'm guessing that Ozzie Newsome isn't that much of an idiot based on the fact that they've been competitive for quite awhile.

i bet it includes about 60 mil in Guarenteed money

"8" is what is left over from the 18 they have now after you account for Flacco. then 4 for rookies and then they have roughly 4 left over for their own free agents

18 cap room minus 10 million (flacco) = 8 miion

I estimated his year one hit to be approx. 10 million also in another thread without seeing your projections here, but until we see the deal we really have no idea.

I'd assume that you'd be pretty close to correct though, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of their main concerns in the whole deal was lowering the year one hit as much as possible.

In that case, they'd have to be leery of bigger hits throughout the terms of the rest of the deal. Then again, we could also see a restructure or two etc.

These things are so hard to project, but my main point is that I think this whole "cap hell for BAL 2013" campaign was insanely overrated. Maybe it will catch up to them down the road on some level and they'll be more limited in their ability to sign other guys in 2016 etc, but by then you'd also have to factor in a lot of other variables too. The cap will have gone up a bit more, they'll have had a couple/few more drafts etc. In turn, they will also have to deal with someone like T.Smith, who's rookie deal will be expiring.

They may end up being limited down the road, along with many other teams who have franchise QBs or higher paid players. The other side of the coin would be that accounts for the majority of football. In the meantime, I wouldn't be slightly surprised if Baltimore continued to be just as competitive as they've been in the past for another couple/few yrs.

I definitely agree with you that Flacco doesn't belong in that tier.

The problem with this is that almost all QB deals are going to continue to set the bar in the future, and from Flacco's point of view--why shouldn't he be included too? He took them to the playoffs in his first 5 seasons or something, including 3 AFCCG's, which finally resulted in a SB win this year.

He probably had a lot of leverage too considering that they were likely doing anything they could do to avoid having to pay that franchise tag number, so that came into effect I would imagine. Either way, it's hard to look the other way when guys like Stafford, E.Manning etc are making similar money. And those who aren't (I don't know if guys like Ryan etc signed new deals recently, but I think he may have last year) will be continuing to raise the standard in the next couple of yrs anyway.

Come to think of it, I've been screwing up my playoff superstitions pretty royally recently. I'll tweet Flacco that he owes me a few boxes of girl scout cookies.

Maybe, but not as huge as Welker's in those two playoff losses.

Maybe, but not as huge as Welker's in those two playoff losses.

Interesting theory, and one that's certainly untrue when it comes to the loss against the Ravens.

A smart deal can be made that more than satisfies Flacco, Ravens - NFL - CBSSports.com

Jason La Canfora tried to estimate a Flacco contract. His 6 yr/108M estimate had a cap hit of $10M for 2013. So I would think $10M would be the low end for 2013 and maybe up to $12M for 2013 if the total contract is 120M

I would agree that 10 million is a safe estimation, give or take. Like I said, that's exactly what I assumed also in another thread before coming to this one.

I would also agree that a lot of these teams are going to be limited down the road who have franchise QBs and players who are making 11-12-13 million aav, as that's only going to continue. The problem is that pretty much includes just about every team in the NFL, ours too. We're going to have to get creative at times and make moves and cuts too. We're going to have to limit ourselves in FA too. It doesn't somehow make the NEP exempt like so many assume, although I will certainly agree that we've been much better with the salary cap than the high majority of teams, and that is one of the main reasons for our success.

What I don't agree with is the perception that Baltimore was going to be gutted and suddenly in rebuilding mode etc, as I have seen so many comments like that the past few weeks. I think that is ridiculous, and that they will continue to be competitive just as they have been, but that's just my opinion.

This is good for a couple reasons IMO:
1) As much as I despise the Ravens and their collection of numbnuts, mental patients, and criminals they call a team, Flacco is not one of them. He definitely outplayed Brady in the AFCCG and did well in the playoffs to win the SB. He earned it and I respect that.
2) This has got to limit the Ravens salary cap and their ability to retain and/or pick up good players via free agency and helping to propel them into mediocrity hell.

He needs to write a big thank you note to the idiotic Denver Broncos' DB that let Jacoby Jones free for that 70-yard TD.

Yep, basically won him almost half of his contract amount since Baltimore wouldn't have paid him near this much had it not been for the SB run.

I would agree that 10 million is a safe estimation, give or take. Like I said, that's exactly what I assumed also in another thread before coming to this one.

I would also agree that a lot of these teams are going to be limited down the road who have franchise QBs and players who are making 11-12-13 million aav, as that's only going to continue. The problem is that pretty much includes just about every team in the NFL, ours too. We're going to have to get creative at times and make moves and cuts too. We're going to have to limit ourselves in FA too. It doesn't somehow make the NEP exempt like so many assume, although I will certainly agree that we've been much better with the salary cap than the high majority of teams, and that is one of the main reasons for our success.

What I don't agree with is the perception that Baltimore was going to be gutted and suddenly in rebuilding mode etc, as I have seen so many comments like that the past few weeks. I think that is ridiculous, and that they will continue to be competitive just as they have been, but that's just my opinion.

Agree that Baltimore won't go into rebuilding mode, Newsome is too good of a GM for something like that. But this huge contract does limit what they can do, and they won't be as deep a team for 2013, which is better for everyone else contending for the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes