Welcome to PatsFans.com

Joe Biden: The President had me negotiate with Gaddafi

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Zuma, May 19, 2008.

1. Zuma

Zuma Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sen. Joe Biden: The President had me negotiate with Gaddafi: He should fire Gates and Rice as appeasers
    By: John Amato

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/05/18/s...e-as-appeasers/

Sen. Joe Biden was on ABC's THIS WEEK and took President Bush and John McCain to the woodshed over their latest attacks on the entire Democratic Party including Barack Obama over their negotiating in any form with Iran. He busts Bush for being a complete hypocrite. Wow, who knew? Bush asked Biden to negotiate with Gaddafi and he did. And I think it turned out pretty good. And since Gates and Condi want to talk with Iran too, what does Biden think about that? Fire those appeasers now! I'm sure McCain will agree.

STEPHANOPOULOS: It sounds like you're calling it hypocrisy.

BIDEN: Well, I should — I'm trying to be more polite, but I shouldn't be. It was ridiculous. This is president — this is pure, unadulterated politics. And the last point I'll make — maybe the president doesn't know — I'll be a smart guy, here –maybe he doesn't know what's going on in his own administration. But as soon as he gets back, he should fire, as appeasers, Gates…

STEPHANOPOULOS: Secretary of defense?

BIDEN: … and Rice — secretary of defense and secretary of
    state.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Why?

BIDEN: Because they both — Gates as recently as a week ago –said, we've got to sit down and talk with the Iranian directly.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

This is interesting, don't tell McCain about what is happening here.. much easier to attack Obama than deal with reality.. George do you know what is going on in your adm.

I thought that the whole Gadaffi thing had to do with our mighty presence in the ME.. did not know we negotiated with him.. is this appeasement???

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The brush is all cleared in Crawford.....

4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So when you guys think he's not negotiating or even just talking with these various rogue nations, you trash him, but when it comes out that he was talking to them...you trash him for that?

And since when does anyone believe Biden, Prince of Plagarism?

5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Joe Biden = Proven liar and plagiarist.

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You think Biden's making this up?

On Condi:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4237049.stm

On Gates:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/05/14/ST2008051404020.html

You rumpswabs need to do a little research before you open your mouths and puke out this junk........:cool:

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When did he ever negotiate? Bush, I'm talking about. I get upset because he doesn't negotiate - not when he doesn't negotiate. There is no when. I have no point of reference for that. That's not a strong position, IMO. It reveals a critical weakness in his presidential game.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Care to address the relevance of that if what he says is documented and true?

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

The argument all along is that Obama would meet with the President of Iran, while Clinton, Bush, and others would only use surrogates. Biden's addresses that by saying the issue is political, not real, and that's true. There are certainly times that a meeting between enemies leads to results (Reagan-Gorby, Sadat-Begin), so it should not be ruled out.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

Negotiation is a very good thing, but last week when Obama suggested negotiation he was labeled as an appeaser by both Bush and McCain.. that is all, the hypocrisy of the wright is more obvious daily.

12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What are you even talking about? When did Bush mention Obama?

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If Bush asks Biden to negotiate, why is that a bad thing? And both Gates and Condi are talking about negotiating, why is that bad?

What I don't understand is the whole thing of bashing him for not negotiating, then bashing him when you find out there have been secret talks.

And don't call me a rumpswab, ya bilge rat! :D

14. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Exactly right. There are times when the two leaders need to meet face to face. There are other times when doing that grants the other leader a stature that might be better not granted. I think that was the problem with BHO saying he'd meet with these leaders--by doing that, you grant them legitimacy.

But what do I know...or any of us, really?
    :D

15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Oh, come on, it's pretty clear that negotiation is not a strong suit of this administration. It does not mean they never do it, they just don't do it enough or, as a rule do it well.

And, besides, Bush deserves to be bashed for the hypocrisy directed at Obama for emphasizing the use of greater diplomacy even with our enemies.

16. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Perhaps you should actually read the articles you post before starting in with the name calling. Look at the one for Condi. In it she is talking about diplomacy being offered by the EU to Iran, NOT direct talks between Bush and Ahmadinejad. Now its totally possible that Condi has advocated direct talks with Ahmadinejad without conditions, but what you posted does not show that. Ditto the Gates thing, he is obviously more open to talks with Iran, but in the article he talks about finding leverage for talks, and opening channels outside of government. Again, where is he saying the US should sit down with that madman for direct talks with no preconditions?

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

He did not name names but what he said to the Knesset, somethings you do not have to say.. the implication is obvious, now come back with your typical limp dycked wright wing response the he did not specifically say Obama, who the f.. else could he be talking about.. this is what it is, all the while Rice and Gates are either advocating for negotiations and actively involved.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200805/POL20080515f.html

"

18. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh come on what? :p

One thing I wonder about--as this little tidbit from Biden shows--is how much negotiation is actually being done that we don't know about? GWB likes to keep his cards pretty close, so there may well be a lot going on we don't know about, because this administration doesn't care what CNANMSBC thinks.

Or there could be nothing going on. Who knows...but I'm not sure we can say "as a rule" about it.

Be honest: how many resolutions did the UN pass to tell Saddam to disarm? How much negotiation was involved? At what point does it cease being negotiation and just become farce?

I don't know the answer. Apparently GWB felt he did.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Negotiate With Hitler-----:singing::singing::singing:

20. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Didn't he just say "appeasers"? That could be anyone and everyone, couldn't it? The UN, that had 17 or 18 resolutions, and won't act in Darfur or Myanmar...

And what's with the limp dick wright wing thing? Is that a new talking point or did you make it up yourself? Because I'm not sure a personal attack is necessary. :D