PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ Watt: Combine 2nd look

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that intrigues me about Watt is that I think he could play DE in both the 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

I would suspect that we'd have to give up some serious currency to move to 10 and 15 to move to the spots I think we need to be to pick up both. I'm not one of those guys who is conversant with the draft chart, but I'm guessing it would cost 28 or 33 plus at least one of the 3rd round picks. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Moving up from #17 to #12 (Minny) would cost the Pats a swap of firsts (#17 for #12), plus their first third-rounder (#74), and MAYBE their 6th (#193). This tradeup is almost equal to the Daniel Graham precedent (#32 for #21 costs the Pats their 3rd and 7th).

Ironically, the #74 was originally owned by Minny, sent to the Pats for Moss. Word is, Minny really wants a third-rounder...so let's give it back to them. No fan ought to argue with this cost, considering the amount of quality picks remaining to cover other needs. This trade (or any tradeup), is ONLY about selecting an impact player -- not about filling the perceived priority need, as all needs can be addressed later on -- but with perhaps lesser impact players.

BB has proven he will trade up, so the ONLY question becomes, is there one sliding player who won't/may not reach #17, who the Pats covet? The names bandied about seem to be both Jordan and Watt, who have been consistently mocked inside the first 16, and MAYBE Kerrigan, who may actually reach 17.

Personally, I'm open to more impact players -- wherever the Pats may find them. McCourty comes to mind...

I don't believe JJ Watt is on their board. We have not taken a client of Tom Condon since the Ben Watson holdout his rookie season. That holdout ruined Watson's season and the Pats had to carry him for the year without any benefit.

I thought IR ruined Watson's 2004 season.

Count me in for moving up to get both Kerrigan and Watt/Jordan. The precedent may be that Belichick likes to move down for value, but we got all the depth in the world right now. Adding 9 mid-round guys won't do much to make this team better.

Keep in mind too, a hidden benefit of the lockout...there will be no UDFAs until the lockout ends. This means extensive time to re-evaluate what's left after round 7 and find some diamond in the rough UDFAs. And very few teams do that better than the Pats.

I thought IR ruined Watson's 2004 season.

Count me in for moving up to get both Kerrigan and Watt/Jordan. The precedent may be that Belichick likes to move down for value, but we got all the depth in the world right now. Adding 9 mid-round guys won't do much to make this team better.

Keep in mind too, a hidden benefit of the lockout...there will be no UDFAs until the lockout ends. This means extensive time to re-evaluate what's left after round 7 and find some diamond in the rough UDFAs. And very few teams do that better than the Pats.

The UFL may be in a good position to compete for those UDFAs by offering substantial bonuses to those guys who sign before the lockout ends. Seems to me that, if there are a couple guys in that group that BB is seriously interested in, he may need to take them with 7th rounders to be certain of getting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back