PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Williams a true Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
tombonneau said:
????

You mean like for Graham, Branch & Wilson.

And those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are several more Day 2 trade ups. BB moves up & down all the time, to say he "almost never trades up" is a bit of a puzzling statement.

BB traded DOWN into round 2 then up for Wilson.

DaBruinz said:
Yep. It does. But its also why I am not stuck on the idea that some guy is a guaranteed 1st rounder. The only ones that I am wary of are guys who were projected as 5th rounders going into a season (D'wayne Robertson, Mike Mamula) and have been sky-rocketing because of their workouts (Manny Lawson).

Basically, I just try and coice caution and remind people that nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

There always seem to be 2 to 4 guys whose draft stock sky-rockets because of their workouts. Many of these guys are not worth it but teams still pick them early hoping for a potential pro-bowler. Personally I love it because that means 2 to 4 guys fall back a bit letting BB get a good 1st rounder a bit earlier than he normally would have.

As a Hokie, I will give my $.02. I think Jimmy Williams is an excellent tackler and has good athletic ability.

That being said, I don't see him as a spectacular 1st round prospect. He is just NOT as good as DeAngelo Hall is or was. He has lapses. He has to improve his footwork on his turnarounds. Thus far he's gotten away with having his athletic ability make up for his bad footwork, but that won't work for much longer. Then again, I never thought that DeAngelo Hall would be that good either, so what do I know.

Bottom Line
I wouldn't mind Williams falling to our spot & taking him, but I don't think he's worthy of moving up for.

The VT prospects that I'm high on are :
Jeff King TE (Can block and receive)
Will Montgomery C/G
James Anderson LB
Darryl Tapp DE/OLB (Definetly a tweener, but he has a motor and he's a leader.)

Last edited:
I agree with Hokie fan, I don;t see Wiliams as an NFL CB. I think his future is at FS where his tight hips and lack of ball skills won't be exposed as much.
He reminds me of Tebucky without the blazing gas. He needs to play facing the QB.

Ochmed Jones said:
I agree with Hokie fan, I don;t see Wiliams as an NFL CB. I think his future is at FS where his tight hips and lack of ball skills won't be exposed as much.
He reminds me of Tebucky without the blazing gas. He needs to play facing the QB.

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 216 | 40-Time: 4.47

Jimmy Wiliams Scouting Report:
Strengths:
Has tremendous size and a big frame with long arms...Is a brilliant natural athlete...Has excellent speed...Can run with receivers and recovers well...Very strong and physical...Gets a good jam and knows how to use his mass to his advantage...A ferocious hitter who still has the mentality of a safety...Has fluid hips and shows good footwork...Versatile with experience at multiple positions...Still improving and still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
May be a bit of a CB / S 'tweener...Will miss tackles while going for the knock out hit...Lacks discipline on the field...May not have the instincts to play corner at the next level...Inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his immense talent...Still developing after only two years of experience at the position...Very confident, bordering on ****y, and tends to give opposing teams bulletin board material.

Notes:
Former safety who could easily project to that position in the pros as well...Has an ideal blend of size, speed and athleticism...Has rare ability and physical tools...There could be some varied opinions as to what position he will play but a team would be crazy to not at least give him a chance outside at corner.

I think if Williams get the right coaching, like for instance from a genius defensive intellect like BB, he can eliminate a lot of his weaknesses. Now for all this talk about him being a top ten pick, i doubt it. With a number of quarterbacks a lock for the top ten, probably 2 running backs, an offensive lineman maybe two, and a couple of linebakers, a defensive tackle and an end, I can definetly see Williams drop to around the 15th pick. To move up 6 spots would not cost that much, especially when we have the picks to deal with. I strongly believe that this team does not need a ton of new althletes, but a few very good ones.

doesn't sound like a Patriot from that description.

once a turd, always a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye