PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Smith retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I had no idea that was coming. Nice career after a non existent start (cut by Dallas).

BelichickFan said:
Wow, I had no idea that was coming. Nice career after a non existent start (cut by Dallas).

I would say that he's had the best NFL career of a Wide Receiver who went undrafted and played his entire career for one team in the AFC named Smith, but that might be slighting Denver's Rod.

He was still the best receiver on his team last season.

dryheat44 said:
Meanwhile, Indy's only legit division foe gets weaker :(

Solid player, class act. He could have played for BB. Would have looked good in a Pats uni.

Yes...really..doesn't help that division..looks good for the Colts..why now?? Does he hear rookie foot steps or..just wishes to get out on top?? A class guy..I agree...would have looked great here!

He has two first round picks in Reggie Williams and Matt Jones and an emerging third rounder in Ernest Wilford behind him. Plus he's getting up there and probably decided it was time to hang them up.

Great career, heck of a player.

dryheat44 said:
I would say that he's had the best NFL career of a Wide Receiver who went undrafted and played his entire career for one team in the AFC named Smith, but that might be slighting Denver's Rod.

Jimmy Smith was drafted in the 2nd round by the Cowboys in 1992 and played for Dallas, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.

Rumor is he may have failed a test. Having failed twice before (he had a 2 game suspension two or three years ago) he would've faced the mandatory one year ban.

Source is PFT, which some people suggest should be taken with a pound or more of salt, so who knows. Anyway, it would at least explain why he decided to retire NOW -- after the draft but before camp. It's very odd timing to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
patriotsrule said:
Jimmy Smith was drafted in the 2nd round by the Cowboys in 1992 and played for Dallas, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.

d%#*!@t. I knew I should have researched. I was going off a report I had thought I heard that he was originally undrafted. Second Round?? That suprises me, considering his college pedigree. I know he was originally property of Dallas, but I don't think he actually played for them. I don't even remember Philly. Did he actually play for Philly? Never mind, I'll look it up. (Better late than never)

Okay, he dressed for seven games for Dallas without any offensive stats. There's no record of him being on the Eagles NFL roster.

Last edited:
Amnorix said:
Rumor is he may have failed a test. Having failed twice before (he had a 2 game suspension two or three years ago) he would've faced the mandatory one year ban.

Source is PFT, which some people suggest should be taken with a pound or more of salt, so who knows. Anyway, it would at least explain why he decided to retire NOW -- after the draft but before camp. It's very odd timing to say the least.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. That guy could still play. I know he was busted before in the past. It gives him an opportunity to bow out gracefully.

Smith was certifiable bust after being drafted - it took four years for him to hook up with Jax and it wasn't until his fifth year that Smith became a star. Whither PK Sam???

Last edited:
I was one of those that had higher aspirations for PK than PK obviously had for himself. I watched a lot of his high school games in Buford Georgia. His brother Lorne was the QB (Still at FSU I think) and Darius Walker (now with Notre Dame) was the RB.

dryheat44 said:
d%#*!@t. I knew I should have researched. I was going off a report I had thought I heard that he was originally undrafted. Second Round?? That suprises me, considering his college pedigree. I know he was originally property of Dallas, but I don't think he actually played for them. I don't even remember Philly. Did he actually play for Philly? Never mind, I'll look it up. (Better late than never)

Okay, he dressed for seven games for Dallas without any offensive stats. There's no record of him being on the Eagles NFL roster.

The Eagles signed him after Dallas cut him. I know he returned punts for them in the preseason but I'm not sure if he made the final roster or not. Then he was signed by Jacksonville and had a great career from there. He was in the Eagles camp for sure though, he must have not made the team.

This is from ESPN.com:

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994, either, after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back