PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G playing earlier tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@MikeReiss: Rookie QB Jimmy Garoppolo, playing 2nd half, had impressive debut last week. Look to see him a bit earlier tonight. Good test for him.

It would be great to see what he could do with the 2s.

I'm as curious as the next guy to see how Garapolo develops and plays. But at the same time I'll be very happy when the preseason is over and all the back up QB hype and discussions stop.

I would have guessed Brady in Q1, Mallett in Q2, and Gropp in Q3 and Q4. Maybe Mallett is just sitting this one out, or maybe Brady will only get 2 series and Mallett only a couple until early in Q2, when Gropp comes on.

Either way, would love to see if he could build on last week's performance playing with (and against) the 2s instead of the 3s. Reports this week sound like he's suddenly been playing as well in practice as he did in last week's game, so that's very encouraging.

It doesn't need to be tonight but I hope at some point in this preseason he gets some time against the 2s and maybe even 1s

Practice typically dictates who plays and who doesn't. Mallett has missed I think, 3 practices? This would dictate that he doesn't play much if at all. I could be wrong, though- as preseason is about individual evaluation.

Practice typically dictates who plays and who doesn't. Mallett has missed I think, 3 practices? This would dictate that he doesn't play much if at all. I could be wrong, though- as preseason is about individual evaluation.
I agree and after being limited this week I wouldn't be shocked if he sits this one out and they take a good long look at Garoppolo in this game. Hate to say it, but if Mallett continues to struggle and Garoppolo doesn't, the trades we keep hoping for might go out the window and they may decide to let him go if they don't think they can get anything for him for the sake of the extra roster spot. Hard choice to make with keeping only a rookie behind Brady, but nothing would shock me if Mallett doesn't start looking like a guy who can play in this league.

This photo kind of got my attention when I added it last week, look at his eyes, doesn't look confident:

2014-PreSeason-Game-1-Ryan-Mallet-600w.jpg

Hard choice to make with keeping only a rookie behind Brady, but nothing would shock me if Mallett doesn't start looking like a guy who can play in this league.

But it's not like Belichick hasn't done it before. Only have to go back 5 years for a similar situation. And that time he cut a guy that he picked in the 3rd round the previous year and went with the undrafted rookie Brian Hoyer as the only other QB.

And on the other side of the ledger, IF JG has a BAD game, not time to get worried. This is all part of the learning process and getting used to the speed of the NFL. The only time I'm worried about him, is gonna be next season. I wanna see a very good 2nd year jump. I do like what I've seen so far, a very calm and cool QB with that very quick release as advertised.

I'm as curious as the next guy to see how Garapolo develops and plays. But at the same time I'll be very happy when the preseason is over and all the back up QB hype and discussions stop.

Agreed. I just can't get hyped about the backup QB, because the only way that he'll get on the field for a meaningful snap is if something really bad happens.

I agree and after being limited this week I wouldn't be shocked if he sits this one out and they take a good long look at Garoppolo in this game. Hate to say it, but if Mallett continues to struggle and Garoppolo doesn't, the trades we keep hoping for might go out the window and they may decide to let him go if they don't think they can get anything for him for the sake of the extra roster spot. Hard choice to make with keeping only a rookie behind Brady, but nothing would shock me if Mallett doesn't start looking like a guy who can play in this league.

This photo kind of got my attention when I added it last week, look at his eyes, doesn't look confident:

2014-PreSeason-Game-1-Ryan-Mallet-600w.jpg
I think Mallett’s biggest issue is he over thinks things. I actually think his draft drop messed up his head, and he got away from playing football and began worrying about every move he makes on and off the field. Last week when Garopollo came in he just played football, no worries, just started slinging, Mallett has never done that in his time here, and he used to in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back