PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Plunkett top 5 All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just gets better. Now we have Michael Jordan ... the overwhelming consensus GOAT and a guy whose maniacal intensity is beyond legendary ... not being able to compete in the 60s NBA.

This just gets better. Now we have Michael Jordan ... the overwhelming consensus GOAT and a guy whose maniacal intensity is beyond legendary ... not being able to compete in the 60s NBA.

Think how much better conditioned and faster athletes are today then 20 years ago never mind 50 years ago. A decent NBA player today would dominate a game in the 60s.

Jordan?

This is obviously a ploy for APF to get attention. Nobody is this stupid.

Think how much better conditioned and faster athletes are today then 20 years ago never mind 50 years ago. A decent NBA player today would dominate a game in the 60s.

Jordan?

This is obviously a ploy for APF to get attention. Nobody is this stupid.
Oh, yes he is. I've been converted.

Comparing anybody with Bill Russell is nothing but the highest of compliments.

Tom has great ability, but I don't think he has the same talent as Peyton for example, or Favre.

I do consider him the GOAT, which he achieved through hard work, determination, and character; overcoming imposing and what many would consider to be insurmountable obstacles, at every level. As an athlete, he is among the best role models ever, to me.
You need to take a few years off of giving football opinions.

A rare accurate and useful Wiki bio, worth studying: Jim Plunkett - Wikipedia

His shoulder separation here was among the worst sports injuries I've ever seen, and that includes car crashes, Theisman's leg and Greer "Cat" Stevens' knee.

In terms of sheer talent, Jim's #1 on my Patriots' QB list. Tom worked and made himself the G.O.A.T., similarly to Bill Russell in basketball.

Plunkett played through pain not only worse than most pro athletes would, but when he really shouldn't have. He was compelled to try in SF; in this case, Mr. Davis was brilliant to pick him up and keep him.

I understand people depending on statistics for their evaluations of athletes; but there will always simply be much, much more to it than that.

Then, when statistics don't match up with people's beliefs on something, they make sweeping preposterous statements like Felger, who only today said: "Shut up about the Celtics of the Sixties. They played in a 'Mickey Mouse' league."

Why don't I pick up Michael Jordan and plunk him down in the NBA in 1965. He would poop his pants and go running home to his mommy, sobbing. No living like royalty, no Nike's, no media fawning, and when he hurts his knee it'll be fixed by 1964 doctors. He'll find out firsthand why shooting percentages were lower. He'll learn what "tough" really is. And no, he won't be as good as Elgin Baylor. Nothing personal.

On the other hand, David Stern's watered-down, insane 2-3-2 finals format cookie cutter league looks a lot more like...Mickey Mouse.

Are you ****in plugged in?

A rare accurate and useful Wiki bio, worth studying: Jim Plunkett - Wikipedia

His shoulder separation here was among the worst sports injuries I've ever seen, and that includes car crashes, Theisman's leg and Greer "Cat" Stevens' knee.

In terms of sheer talent, Jim's #1 on my Patriots' QB list. Tom worked and made himself the G.O.A.T., similarly to Bill Russell in basketball.

Plunkett played through pain not only worse than most pro athletes would, but when he really shouldn't have. He was compelled to try in SF; in this case, Mr. Davis was brilliant to pick him up and keep him.

I understand people depending on statistics for their evaluations of athletes; but there will always simply be much, much more to it than that.

Then, when statistics don't match up with people's beliefs on something, they make sweeping preposterous statements like Felger, who only today said: "Shut up about the Celtics of the Sixties. They played in a 'Mickey Mouse' league."

Why don't I pick up Michael Jordan and plunk him down in the NBA in 1965. He would poop his pants and go running home to his mommy, sobbing. No living like royalty, no Nike's, no media fawning, and when he hurts his knee it'll be fixed by 1964 doctors. He'll find out firsthand why shooting percentages were lower. He'll learn what "tough" really is. And no, he won't be as good as Elgin Baylor. Nothing personal.

On the other hand, David Stern's watered-down, insane 2-3-2 finals format cookie cutter league looks a lot more like...Mickey Mouse.
I'm thinking of a line from the end of Billy Madison that would be very appropriate here...

...except for anybody who saw Russell, Chamberlain, or Baylor play
No, most of them, too.

You disagreeing who the greatest of all time is would be one thing. You'd be comfortably in the minority, but it's an opinion.

You saying that Jordan would get dominated by the players of the 60s is what puts your position square in crazytown.

You're so helplessly stuck in the sports past that the sports have passed you by. Just arguing about this with you is making me uncomfortable, so I'm out.

Lebron would probably **** his pants out there too. foolishness

One of the long time posters insists over and over he is better than Elway, Marino and ranks him like top 10 anyway...

He joined in 2016, must me a kid.

He joined in 2016, must me a kid.
His profile says age 53. He is just ignorant and as as fixit said stuck in the past, and completely incapable of being objective.

His quote in his profile (I have yet to see the Pats win a SB with the correct logo) tells you all you need to know about this clown.

You can revisit this topic in the off-season if you'd like but for now, we're on to Baltimore. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes