PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Miller on Passing Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/05/passing_thought_1.html
“Really, what you are hitting on in a passing camp is how the routes are run against certain coverages.
-----
“That’s really one of the big parts of a passing camp, getting the nuances of how routes can change against certain coverages, and having Tom communicating to the receivers.”
-----
“A lot of people think you go up to the line of scrimmage and say ‘down, set, hut!’ but there is a lot more to it, and everything a quarterback says is critical -- whether it’s hand signals, or a verbal audible. A play can change from the huddle to the line of scrimmage, and when that happens, everyone’s thought process needs to change and all 11 guys need to be on the same page.
-----
“So for the Patriots, I’d look at the passing camp as a building block, another aspect that solidifies the foundation as you go into training camp and a season.

Follow the link and read it all --- outstanding read!

Good read. Jim Miller's a good analyst - articulate, down-to-Earth, heavy on the layman's terms, really spells it out.

Jim Miller is on Sirius satelite radio's NFL channel 4-5 times a week. As others have stated, he's excellant and very informative to listen to. With some of the others on there - Pat Kirwin, Solomon Wilcotts, Howard Balzar, etc, it's just a joy to listen to and well worth the cost.

“A lot of people think you go up to the line of scrimmage and say ‘down, set, hut!’ but there is a lot more to it, and everything a quarterback says is critical -- whether it’s hand signals, or a verbal audible."

Watching film from 2006 can you see Brady using a very impolite hand gesture, or should I say finger gesture to Doug Gabriel? Any lip readers?

Last edited:
Thanks, Box! Reiss is carving out a nice little genre of taking readers inside parts of an NFL team's process and simply explaining what goes on. Interesting stuff.

When I first read the article I planned on posting it here, but decided not to, thinking there'd be minimal interest -- unfortunately I was correct. :(

Thanks Box for posting a very worthy read. Terrific insight as to how valuable this passing camp will be for the offense. The Pats don't want to struggle early on this season while they wait for the timing to develop between Brady and his receivers. Lots of new faces and only one ball. Will be interesting to see which of the wideouts will click best with Tom.

“A lot of people think you go up to the line of scrimmage and say ‘down, set, hut!’ but there is a lot more to it, and everything a quarterback says is critical -- whether it’s hand signals, or a verbal audible."

Watching film from 2006 can you see Brady using a very impolite hand gesture, or should I say finger gesture to Doug Gabriel? Any lip readers?

That reminds me of the Bruins back in the early 70s.

After they got Jacques Plante (who was about 150 at the time), we learned Plante and Carol Vadnais were talking in French while on the ice.

I thought it was an effort to make Plante feel at home on Garden ice, but I later found out they were cussing each other out! (I was a lot younger then...)

Live and learn...

Speaking of passing (Don't click on the link unless all your security options are up to date, Mike_the_Brit has reported this to be nasty site for visitors)...
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/raiders-doubleteaming-widereceivers250507.html
One example the Raiders can use is New England's. The Patriots, before acquiring Moss, flourished in recent years without designing their offense around any one particular receiver. The likes of Troy Brown, David Givens and Deion Branch were merely the cornerstones of a system that produced a feared offensive attack.

While the Raiders won't have Tom Brady behind center, they could have a similar barrage of receivers to throw at AFC defenses. A top-notch receiver is no good to a team if he is the only threat. Anyone can be stopped if enough defenders are piled on top of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back