PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Miller - new - on Matt Cassel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
by Andy Hart on February 21, 2009 – 2:42 pm -

Former Patriots backup quarterback and current Sirius radio host Jim Miller knows a little something about being an NFL quarterback, as well as playing in the New England system...

“Let’s say he was put in this year’s draft he’d be the top of the group,” Miller said Saturday afternoon at the Combine. “He’d definitely push, in my opinion, [Matthew] Stafford down and obviously where Mark Sanchez is at. Does he have trade value? Absolutely. I think the Patriots are going to maximize that leverage to the hilt because I think there are some teams out there that should be interested in trading for him. Whether it’s a Minnesota. Whether it’s the Detroit Lions."

“Yeah you can say he’s a product of the system. Lets face it they ran 88-percent out of the shotgun and that’s really what utilizes his skills,” Miller said.

That’s why I think it’s pretty intriguing for him to get traded to Kansas City, because that’s where Chan Gailey is the offensive coordinator. He has run a lot of spread attacks in the past whether at Georgia Tech or what they did last year with Tyler Thigpen. And I think it marries well with what Todd Haley wants to do as a new head coach. So I think it’s very well possible whether it’s the system or not, I think the kid is talented. You saw the offense expand every week.”

“I think it always, like anything else, is going to depend on the health of Tom Brady and where they feel Kevin O’Connell is at right now, the third-round pick from San Diego State,” Miller concluded. “Belichick is pretty sharp. They know what they have in Kevin O’Connell. That’s why they drafted him in the third round. So I’d think they are looking to move Matt Cassel.”

More here...Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog

His points all make good sense.

So much better and more informative to read comments from actual players than the John Claytons of the world.

Wasn't it Miller who last month went on record as saying that Cassel's trade value was probably something like a 2nd round pick, in contrast to what Lombardi and others were saying? It seems a bit inconsistent to say that Cassel would be pushing the top 2 prospects down, but that he is only worth a 2nd round pick.

Mark Sanchez has only 1 year of college starting experience (with excellent success), but is probably going to end up a top 10 pick. Matt Cassel has only 1 year of NFL starting experience (with excellent success), but people are trying to pretend that he doesn't have 1st round value. That's ridiculous. If Cassel were coming out of USC with the same success that he had with the Pats, he would be viewed as a top 10 prospect hands down.

I think O'Connell could be a beast. Bye Cassel thanks for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye