PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Leonhard out for jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Leonhard is the Jets' equivalent of James Sanders. Would any non-Pats fans even notice if Sanders was lost for the year?

He is the QB of their secondary? So Revis and Cromartie needs someone to tell them to play man-to-man? Pool (6th year) and Smith (5th year) need Leonard (6th year) to figure out who blitzes and who protects deep? Their famed linebackers look for guidance on where to line up? I don't think so.

I feel bad for the guy that he goes down in practice before a huge division game, but not for the Jets. This isn't Ed Reed we are talking about here. The Jets should be just fine. And if they aren't, they really need to take a deep look at how they build depth and react to injuries.

2011 is the last year of Leonard's contract. Maybe he can call Leon Washington about coming back from injury on Rexy's team. Since I doubt Washington is on the Jets "Friends and Family" list, Leonard should wait until after 7pm so he doesn't use up his minutes.

Is Leonhard really that good or are Jets fans setting up the excuses for Tuesday morning? It's Friday, so a week of planning and practice is done based on this superhuman safety playing. Does scratching him at the last minute let Jets fans continue to crow about the Jets being the best team in the league even after losing this game? I'd rather see the Pats play them at full strength and without excuses.

Jim Leonhard is the Jets' equivalent of James Sanders. Would any non-Pats fans even notice if Sanders was lost for the year?

He is the QB of their secondary? So Revis and Cromartie needs someone to tell them to play man-to-man? Pool (6th year) and Smith (5th year) need Leonard (6th year) to figure out who blitzes and who protects deep? Their famed linebackers look for guidance on where to line up? I don't think so.

more like the equivalent of Brandon Meriweather as leader of the secondary...
revis and cromartie do not play safety, which is where the jets are weak especially now with eric smith and pool as their starters. Leonhard brought more to the table than just play calling - he can makes tackles too - and his loss makes their safeties even more exploitable.

more like the equivalent of Brandon Meriweather as leader of the secondary...
revis and cromartie do not play safety, which is where the jets are weak especially now with eric smith and pool as their starters. Leonhard brought more to the table than just play calling - he can makes tackles too - and his loss makes their safeties even more exploitable.

This....... There are some players who are more than their stats indicate. Leonhard is one of them.

I'm not shedding any tears that he isn't playing. It's too bad for the Jets, but that's the way things go. No one in New England is moaning about losing any of the folks we've put on IR this year. No one up here is making any excuses because of folks being lost to injuries, whether for one game or the season. Others have to step up and take their place, and to the Patriots credit, they've done that so far.

What I will say again is that I hate seeing anyone injured like this and unable to play. I especially hate seeing good solid football players end their careers through injury. It's still a game, and it is these fellow's livelihood.

But... no excuses. Sorry to see him gone for the game, as he's a good player. Good for New England as there is one less player to worry about in the Jets secondary.

So Revis and Cromartie needs someone to tell them to play man-to-man?

Cromartie's having a good year, and he's a solid athlete, but I bet that guy needs someone to tell him how to tie his shoes, read his subpoenas, etc. Revis, maybe not so much.

Jim Leonhard broke his thumb last year and was limited a couple games, since he had a reduced role he was not the signal caller in those games. So we have some experience with other players calling the signals.

That being said, it definitely hurts us short term since the gameplan has already been established for Monday Night.

Long term, it has an impact, but isn't extremely significant. All teams have to deal with something like this at some point. Leonhard was a very solid player, but he's not a star. (We managed without Jenkins, Revis for a half, and Pace last time..Trevor Pryce has also been added)

So from a physical standpoint, meh...but it hurts us in intangibles.

Last edited:

I feel bad for the guy that he goes down in practice before a huge division game, but not for the Jets. This isn't Ed Reed we are talking about here. The Jets should be just fine. And if they aren't, they really need to take a deep look at how they build depth and react to injuries.

2011 is the last year of Leonard's contract. Maybe he can call Leon Washington about coming back from injury on Rexy's team. Since I doubt Washington is on the Jets "Friends and Family" list, Leonard should wait until after 7pm so he doesn't use up his minutes.

Way off on that one. Leonhard is the Rodney Harrison of that Jets defense. He's one of the leaders. If not THE leader. His loss is a pretty big one for the Jets, but they'll manage in the long run. If anything, it will hurt the most for this game.

Tough loss. I don't like the team he plays for but I respect Leonhard as a competitor. He brings it on every play. Hope he heals up without issue.

why would I need Jim Leonhard???...meh...just an intangible..

monty-python-black-knight.bmp

Jim Leonhard broke his thumb last year and was limited a couple games, since he had a reduced role he was not the signal caller in those games. So we have some experience with other players calling the signals.

That being said, it definitely hurts us short term since the gameplan has already been established for Monday Night.

Long term, it has an impact, but isn't extremely significant. All teams have to deal with something like this at some point. Leonhard was a very solid player, but he's not a star. (We managed without Jenkins, Revis for a half, and Pace last time..Trevor Pryce has also been added)

So from a physical standpoint, meh...but it hurts us in intangibles.

Watch our tight ends run wild Monday night with Leonhard out, while Cromartie runs around in circles not knowing where to go 'cuz there's nobody to tell him.

Way off on that one. Leonhard is the Rodney Harrison of that Jets defense. He's one of the leaders. If not THE leader. His loss is a pretty big one for the Jets, but they'll manage in the long run. If anything, it will hurt the most for this game.

Tough loss. I don't like the team he plays for but I respect Leonhard as a competitor. He brings it on every play. Hope he heals up without issue.

WOW.. I hope the people in Hell, Michigan are bundled up tight cause it must be freezing over there since Kontra and I agree on something :D

Dude. Spot on analysis. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

I think you are seriously misreading what he means to that defense, certainly Tedy Bruschi disagrees with you.

I really like safety Jim Leonhard. I see him as the glue that keeps it all together back there. He's a great special teams player and on defense, he knows Rex Ryan's system inside and out. Rex brought him over from Baltimore and he keeps everyone on the same page and has made big plays for them.

Holmes was a scary good on punt returns when he was with the Steelers his rookie year. However, he hasn't returned any punts since 2007... It will be interesting to see how much of Leonhard's success was him and how much of it was the Jets squad.

he was good at ohio state too.

I've seen most of the Jets games this year and Leonhard does make mistakes on defense but he makes a lot of big plays too. He has been brilliant for them on STs too. Big loss for this game both on D and on STs.

Sorry, but he and you are way off about Leonhard. Losing Leonhard for the Jets defense is like the Colts losing Bob Sanders or the Pats losing Wes Welker.

Sorry, but he and you are way off about Leonhard. Losing Leonhard for the Jets defense is like the Colts losing Bob Sanders or the Pats losing Wes Welker.

......or Patrick Chung.

Last edited:
James Sanders was the glue or the Pats secondary last year and has played fairly well this season. Patrick Chung is more Dynamic, but Sanders knows the defense and is very consistent.

I don't know what this loss will mean to the Jets, but it certainly means something

Originally Posted by Metaphors

What???????

Yeah, I think you would "notice" if Peyton Manning led the Colts to a last minute victory a couple of weeks back and the Patriots were 8-3 instead of 9-2.

Not a bad pick-6 in the Pittsburgh game either.

No need to denigrate Sanders, whom BB signed to a multi-year contract and values greatly and whom, AS A ROOKIE, Rodney Harrison singled out for praise when asked who on the D he admired as someone who "gets" the Patriots system.

Last edited:

Not sure I agree...

Colts still win games without Bob Sanders. No question their D is better w/ him.

Pats are 1-3 (inc Houston & BAL playoff) w/o Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes