PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jim Harbaugh: "Colin Kaepernick is our starter this week"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Jim Harbaugh: "Colin Kaepernick is our starter this week"

I still wonder about the 49ers offense.Off course they could look powerful against our team's defense.:rolleyes:Stopping their running game is important.

:confused2:

It is what it is. Kaepernick's catching a break for the 3rd week in a row. He gets the Rams defense this week.

LOL, yeah, and Kaepernick didn't really do that well against our defense either. Take away the 2 silly Brees interceptions and your looking at a 21-17 ball game.

"Colin Kaepernick is our starter this week"

...."and next week...and the week after, and the week after..."

Alex Smith is done for, no surprise really if you look at the seasons he's had since joining SF. Last year he did pretty ok and this year it was not so bad, but I can see why Harbaugh thinks Kaepernick is a better prospect in the long run.

Just stop it Deus...everybody and their Grandmother knows that the 49ers are a QB away from winning it all and Alex Smith is not that Guy. When you look at that 49ers team right now you could honestly ask...what's not to like? They have a Great Defense a Great RB...some very good WR's an Elite TE, all they needed was a QB to get em the Ball...i think Kaepernick is the answer. We are going to have a hell of a game vs them...we have seen Great Defenses stop Great Offenses too many times. The 49ers Defense is fearsome.:scared:

I don't think Kaepernick is. He didnt really have a good game verse our really bad defense. He was shut down most of the time.

SF is a great team, but its really defense that keeps that team alive.
Their OL is #31 is pass defense. Gore and Davis are the only real talent on offense. Ginn, Crabtree and the others are pretty average.
..and SF is very top heavy. Gore gets hurt and Dixon cant pull his load. Same with Davis. Our experience has been that if you shut down their run game which is only Gore, and Davis they almost always lose. IF you have and average defense.
,,and the SF defense is actually worse than last year if you check the stats.
. But Im positive they would not be where they are with a 15-10 ranked defense instead of the top #1-4 they have had for 2 seasons.
They play very hard, so usually a good game, but we never had a problem with them until, the interceptions started, and our defense decided it was more important to tweet than play ball, lol

What question are you asking? This is his resume at QB:

- 3 quarters at home against the Rams and scored 17 points (7 on a handoff after a fumble)
- 30 points at home against the Bears with Jason Campbell
- 17 points in 10 drives against a horrific Saints defense yielding 28 points and 450 yards per game

He has yet to throw for 250 yards in a game, has converted 18%, 33% and 46% (against the Saints so you grade on a curve) of 3rd downs and led the 49ers to 64 points in almost 3 complete games. So if Alex Smith and his 70% completion, 104 rating and 2.5-to-1 TD/Int ratio are not the answer to your question, what in Kaepernick's resume leads you to the conclusion that he is better?

CK may turn out to be a stud QB that fits perfectly with the 49ers team dynamic. But there is very little evidence to suggest one way or the other. I think this is an overreaction to Smith being beaten down in the 2nd half against the Giants in the NFCC game last year. Instead of using that as a growth experience for Smith, they seem to think that is his ceiling and need an alternative to reach the SB. Seems risky to me but we'll have to see if it pays off.

This. I watched the Niner game too and some posters and the national media decided that he played great against the Saints....except he didn't. He played decently...at best.
CK is a good story with a guy who has shown some moments of good passing skills along with some very excellent running skills. But the national media likes this story (understandably so) and is running with it as a foregone conclusion of greatness. And while this may be the case, changing your proven starter leading up to the playoffs for a guy who has very little experience is bold if not too much of a gamble.
I hate to root against this kid as he seems like he is a good guy, however, with the Niners a potential threat, this does open the door for them to take a step back (which is good for other playoff teams).

I couldn't believe the stupidity of the Saints DE's overcommitting and giving CK the edge to take scrambles. The Patriots won't be as forthcoming with lanes for CK to make plays with his legs.

Big arm and all he was throwing a lot of balls that should have been intercepted by the Saints. I would'd mind sending Vince on a bull rush and turning him loose to rattle Kaepernick early. He's had everything on his terms early in his career. Let's see how he plays when he's rattled.

I agree, plus Brady wont throw the game away, and you guys can score more than we can right now.

The saints o-line didnt play as well.That was huge.Brees just looked uncomfortable all game long.

i had much rather face CK than Alex, thats how i know who is better

The saints o-line didnt play as well.That was huge.Brees just looked uncomfortable all game long.

RT starter Zach Strief was out, and his 2nd Charles Brown was hurt, and the 3rd Bryce Harris went on IR 1st quarter in the game,lol.
C De La Puente was playing hurt also.
I don't think we were chipping fast enough because D. Thomas was messed up also. But yeah, he didnt look very comfortable at all, and threw some pretty uncharacteristic throws, usually his QBR goes up 30 points when Blitzed.

Right, they are a great team on many levels. I don't typically look at it as QB vs QB but I just don't see Keapernick putting up any near the amount of points that Brady will.

I don't think Brady will be able to put up a good score against the D either. This will not be a high scoring game for the Pats. The Niners D are animals. I just hope our offensive line can keep the pass rush at bay, or else it will be a long night for Brady and Co.

Last edited:

The super bowl isn't easy to win, Kaepernick has more potential so I think it's worth the risk. In a league where the past 10 or so super bowls have been won by pretty much all future hall of famer quarterback, you need the best guy you can get out there. Smith played well in the playoffs last year but, I still think you go with Kaep unless he ****s the bed in one of these last couple of games.

I hope Keapernick's inexperience will be the downfall of the 49ers in a few weeks. He's a talented playmaker at the QB position but he's no match against TFB.

And I agree. The 49ers will be a 1 and done in the post season. Drew Brees Threw for 5 TD passes last game and how did the San Fran still win it? Because 2 of those TD passes were to players on the 49ers.

Russell Wilson was an inexperienced QB as well but ended up beating us. If we meet up with the niners in the SB then his inexperience might hurt but I don' t think it will matter during the regular season.

I don't think Brady will be able to put up a good score against the D either. This will not be a high scoring game for the Pats. The Niners D are animals. I just hope our offensive line can keep the pass rush at bay, or else it will be a long night for Brady and Co.

Giants and Rams both put up numbers against these guys and in san frans house. I think pats will put up around 27-31ish.

Last edited:

- 30 points at home against the Bears with Jason Campbell

Jason Campbell doesn't play defense.

Going into this game the bears were a defense first team, and one of the top 3 scoring defenses in the league.

The bears win games because of their defense, and CK threw all over them.

Jason Campbell doesn't play defense.

Going into this game the bears were a defense first team, and one of the top 3 scoring defenses in the league.

The bears win games because of their defense, and CK threw all over them.

You're right that Campbell doesn't play defense. But his dink and dunk approach against one of the best defenses in the NFL certainly couldn't sustain drives to keep Kaepernick and the Niners offense off the field. I don't care how good of a defense you are. If you're constantly on the field throughout the course of a game, you're going to get tired.

You're right that Campbell doesn't play defense. But his dink and dunk approach against one of the best defenses in the NFL certainly couldn't sustain drives to keep Kaepernick and the Niners offense off the field. I don't care how good of a defense you are. If you're constantly on the field throughout the course of a game, you're going to get tired.
I hate to be rude but did you watch the game ? In the first quarter the 49ers had two drives each longer than 80 yards - 82 and 96. The Bears defense wasn't tired at that point, I would hope.

Harbaugh would be a fool not to go with Kaepernick. Maybe he'll start to struggle and Smith can go back in. But Kaepernick is a potential game changer. He threatens the defense down the field. He threatens the edge with his running. And he can fit the ball into tighter spaces in the midranges.

Maybe the NFL will catch up to CK and they go back to Smith. But until then the 49ers are vastly improved. No longer is their offense playing in a box with a power running game and a limited short yardage passing game.

I hate to be rude but did you watch the game ? In the first quarter the 49ers had two drives each longer than 80 yards - 82 and 96. The Bears defense wasn't tired at that point, I would hope.

Harbaugh would be a fool not to go with Kaepernick. Maybe he'll start to struggle and Smith can go back in. But Kaepernick is a potential game changer. He threatens the defense down the field. He threatens the edge with his running. And he can fit the ball into tighter spaces in the midranges.

Maybe the NFL will catch up to CK and they go back to Smith. But until then the 49ers are vastly improved. No longer is their offense playing in a box with a power running game and a limited short yardage passing game.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't taking away from anything the Niners did. They were efficient on offense. My point centered around the Bears offense doing nothing to help their defense out.

As for Kaepernick, he's looked serviceable the last couple of weeks. But he has a tendency to lock onto his primary read on a given pass play. Young guys usually have this tendency. But it's still one that needs to be stopped if the Niners hope to go all the way in the NFC.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't taking away from anything the Niners did. They were efficient on offense. My point centered around the Bears offense doing nothing to help their defense out.
82 and 96 yard drives in the first quarter. There's nothing the Bears offense could have done to help with that. Kaepernick was great. Maybe getting film on him will change the results but arguing against how he did in the Bears' game is a losing battle.

I think Harbaugh would be better served saying "this is my quarterback" instead of this is my quarterback this week".

There is certainly more than an implication that he is week to week and maybe that is the way it is. Not sure that is a good think though.

Giants and Rams both put up numbers against these guys and in san frans house. I think pats will put up around 27-31ish.

Rams are a divisional rival, and the Giants are a major conference rival of them. Both have played San Fran @ Candlestick, and both know the Niners much better than we do.

I wouldn't underestimate that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back