Welcome to PatsFans.com

Jewish Republican wants to ban Koran

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Seymour93, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Apparently congressmen don't have to be sworn in with their hand on a Bible, but it is optional. Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) won in a landslide becoming the nation's first Muslim congressman and he wants to be sworn in using a Koran.

Here is racist Dennis Praeger's column that started the controversy....

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/...des_what_book_a_congressman_takes_his_oath_on

Read that garbage if you like, but below the Chicago Tribune has a good summary on this story.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/12/an_oath_on_kora.html

The Anti-Defamation League has just sent out a press release criticizing their fellow Jew for being racist and anti-American. Here is the link,

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/DiRaB_41/4934_41.htm
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +927 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

One could post alot on his topic...but I'll keep it brief.

As America moves on from is history of traditions things will have to change. The pilgrims simply did not sail a melting pot of people to America.
    The same for the West coast and southern border to some extent.

I think they should get sworn in with any book they want for now.

To be honest ... why is it religious?
    Like people won't lie and cheat if they swear on a religious book?

Perhaps it's time that they swear some type of oath to our
    United States Constitution and amendments ... the writings most important of all.

So who here thinks that's a good idea?
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 10 / -26

I read somewhere that this is much ado about nothing, as when they take the oath they do not actually put their hand on a bible, they just raise their right hand. I suspect that this is an effort to create some hysteria about a congressman who happens to be muslim.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

Don't worry about it, Oaths mean nothing to a Politician all of them are lying, back stabbing, immoral, dishonest foul vermin, if they weren't they wouldn't be in Washington taking the oath in the first place, decent honest human beings never make it that far, and yes, that includes Bush, he just happened to be a better vermin that Gore/Kerry.

A politician taking the oath on a Bible or a Koran is nothing but a joke.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 10 / -26

A new way to measure the effectiveness or ethics of politicians, the vermin scale... not sure about your order though, they are all a little lower than whale crap in my eyes.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

FBN's idea is good, but once again, Harry speaks the truth.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

So I guess he could choose this book if he wants to?

[​IMG]

I think this is stupid. The guy should stfu and put his hand on the bible. It's an oath, and the bible is symbolic of the people he is swearing to serve. I think it would be a slap in the face to most americans to insist on a Quran. Remember, it's not the bible that matters, it's what the bible symbolizes to the american people.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Which is WHAT? The Bible means absolutely nothing to me and most Americans' lives are lived with nothing in common with the Bible. Those who live the word of Jesus and the OT prophets are few and far between.
    The Bible is symbolic of nothing IMO. My opinion, your opinion and the opinion of the man from Minnesota are obviously different, and that's cool with me. You can swear on the Bible if you like. I'll use Robert Frost's Poems, third edition.:rocker:
  9. Commander Shears

Commander Shears Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The relevant issue is the significance of the book to the person giving the oath, not those in attendance. Hence the terms 'I swear' and 'so help me God'. If the book in question holds no importance to the individual giving the oath, than the oath itself is meaningless. Christians and Jews swear on the Bible, atheists use a secular oath, Muslems use the Koran.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -7

Excellent point!
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Never got the point of "swearing in ceremonies". When is the last time someone was convicted or fired for violating their oath? It sounds very ancient and outdated. Why don't we tell them what is expected of them, have them sign it stating they've read and understand it, and leave it at that? Oaths are meaningless, as politicians continue to demonstrate.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

Why would anyone spend 30 million dollars to get a job that pays 200,000 a year?

These "vermin scum" are the type of people that have the ability to smile at you when you point out to them what rotten human beings they are, they seem proud of it, yes Bush does it, many times as do the "Wretched Clintons" but I still think the Democrats are bigger "Grinners" than the republicans, but of course I am a "Righty Neo Con"

Auntie Pelosi is the biggest "grinner" of them all, it could be because she just had new dentures put into her nasty hateful mouth, watch this Rich Witch the next time she is on camera, you will say to yourself, "Jesus, Harry was right".
    :bricks:
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I always say that, Boy!:rocker: :bricks:
  14. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I actually agree with this totally. Swearing in ceremonies are about Civil positions. The Bible isnt the Government sanctioned Book of Law. So if a person is swearing an oath, its true it only has meaning if they are swearing to what they believe in. An athiest swearing on a Bible is actually a little offensive as its making a mockery. Just as a Christian swearing on Harry Potter or something:)

Lets them swear an oath on what is most sacred to them and leave it alone.

They arent being ordained to ministry or anything!
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

Human Nature:
    The Jewish guy wants the Koran Banned because he knows that the believers of the Koran (Islam) wants him and all of his people "exterminated".

I am a Handsome Red Head, if I thought that the Presbytarians wanted to wipe Handsome Red Heads off the face of the Earth I would want them Banned also. The guy isn't a racist or a bigot he's standing up for his family and his people.

If you love your enemy soon you will be dead.
    :bricks:
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

Interesting, so many ways.

Our original poster mentions "Jewish Republican..." and then goes on to call him "racist Denny Praeger."

Please make up your mind. Is he in the Jewish Republican party, or the Racist party? If neither exist, why are we heaping on these modifiers?

I am particularly concerned by the implication that it is the most natural thing in the world for Jews to be against equal rights for Muslims. (Praeger, in fact, takes one position: Jews have had to swear by "the bible," in its Christian incarnation, and therefore so should Muslims. I disagree. I think we should stop swearing by books and Gods. In court now you "swear or affirm..." and it applies to your own most sacred values or deity(s).)

I am also concerned that the poster feels the need to tell us we are reading "racist Denny Praeger." He then advises us to disregard Praeger's words, and pay closer attention to a column on why Praeger is wrong.

For the record, I think Praeger's wrong too -- and very, very wrong at that. I do not see in his original article too much proof of his racism, although I am sure one can make a strong place that racism is implicit in the article. But even if we were making that case, what the hell purpose does it serve to lead with namecalling and follow up with the suggestion that we don't read Praeger's own words?

Come on guys. This just leads to the type of us/them atmosphere Harry instantiates in his latest post. (By the way, Harry, as convenient as it would be, the Muslim religion per se is not more bent on Judaism's destruction than is Christianity. And of course, vice versa. Don't confuse a couple of decades of current events with the full account of historical or doctrinal "enmity.")

Long story short, Praeger's wrong. Praeger's also Jewish. But describing him basically as a "Wrong Jew" is sort of missing the point (as inclusion of the ADL link should illustrate, at least to the original poster here.)

PFnV
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Isn't this from 2006? Is there still any issue?
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's a billion Muslims. Some of them HAVE to be moderate. I can't think of better ammunition to give the moderates in their fight against the extremists than indisputable proof that Muslims are not 2nd class dirt bags around here. That in fact, they're permitted to participate in the highest levels of our government. What we need to do is take a million pictures of this man getting sworn in using THEIR sacred book and dump them all over the Middle East. We have millions of Muslims living and worshiping freely here, I'll never understand why we aren't exploiting the ever-loving daylights out of that fact to win some hearts and minds over. Why aren't we sending out invitations to every single Muslim living here to come in and talk on camera about what their lives in America are like vs what they would have experienced back in their home country, and then making sure that those conversations aren't available all over the Middle East?
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 7 / -9

20. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Yes, many Christians in charge of countries are openly calling for the destruction of Israel. :rolleyes:
    It was Christians who flew planes into the WTC because of, among other things, America being allied with Israel.
    Say a ignorant thing like that to Benjamin Netanyahu and see what he has to say.

Believe me PFIV, If we spend some time in the Middle East with some Muslims or spend some time in South Carolina or Kansas with some Christians I like my chances a lot better that we'll keep our heads in SC or Kansas, thank you very much.