PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JETS will Pursuit Samuel HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
all THEY need is to face tommy twice a year:D . tom practices against assante all year round. he knows his play. we'll be fine. let them spend all their money on samuel. the jets have bigger worries than corners.

Tom practiced against Ty Law as well and guess what. he got a pick 6 off us in his 1 yr with Jets.

yes theres drafting but a rookie is not going to come in and make the impact Samuel makes right now. you also gotta remember what COVERAGE sacks are...we've had quiet a few this year where our secondary was playing great and pass rush just didnt get there quick enough. difference between Law, Milloy and Samuel is 27 years old. Milloy was 30 and we had Harrison who came in and Ty Law had some words to say and he expressed frustration in trying to get a raise. Samuel..27 years old..top of his game..playmaker..leader..works hard and we offered him big contract last year..guess not even guaranteed but would you give someone a ton after 1 year of being great? he does it a second year, offer will increase.

look, remember how good ty law was, and if you needed reminding all you had to do is watch SB 36 last night on the NFL Network. He was good.

He went to the Jets then KC, all of a sudden he is not as noticable anymore. I have faith that BB & SP have thought of this potential senario last year. They will be on the lookout for a system corner or a vetern who is willing to take a bit less to play for a solid organization.

It's not like we haven't been here before....

coming off a foot injury..and age. obviously hes losing it. KC Fans want him to play FS because they say he'd dominate..wouldnt doubt it since he tackles well..good ball skills and better suits his lack of speed

Tom practiced against Ty Law as well and guess what. he got a pick 6 off us in his 1 yr with Jets.

yes theres drafting but a rookie is not going to come in and make the impact Samuel makes right now. you also gotta remember what COVERAGE sacks are...we've had quiet a few this year where our secondary was playing great and pass rush just didnt get there quick enough. difference between Law, Milloy and Samuel is 27 years old. Milloy was 30 and we had Harrison who came in and Ty Law had some words to say and he expressed frustration in trying to get a raise. Samuel..27 years old..top of his game..playmaker..leader..works hard and we offered him big contract last year..guess not even guaranteed but would you give someone a ton after 1 year of being great? he does it a second year, offer will increase.

The question is: Does Asante want to follow the Ty Law career path into oblivion?

I heard on WQAM (a South Florida sports talk radio station) that Parcells is enamored with Samuel, and that Samuel would love to come home to SoFla (he grew up in Lauderdale Lakes and attended Boyd Anderson High School).

Logistically, it would make sense, and the Dolphins will be "whacking" some cureent players under new head coach Tony Soprano and his assistant coaches, Paulie Walnuts, Silvio Dante, Chrissy Moltisanti, Bobby Bacala, Vito Spatafore, Furio Giunta, Big P u s s y Bonpensiero & Hesh Rabkin.

Last edited:
This is the least surprising thing I've read all week. I've long assumed that if Samuel didn't resign here, it would be one of the three AFC East teams that signs him. They all need help in the defensive backfield, all have some cap room I believe, all are familiar with him, and ALL would like to gain some edge over the Pats, even if it's only in their mind.

I am 95% confident that if Samuel isn't a Patriot next year, that he's a Jet, Dolphin, or Bill. But trust me, adding Asante is not going to be the difference for those teams in contending with the Patriots. That's still a couple years off at the very least.

I like Asante as much as the next guy, but contracts for Moss, Wilfork, Mankins, etc are way higher up my list of priorities.

The secondary is the least of the Jets numerous issues. They need an o-line. They need a QB. They need a d-line. They want to go for broke on Assante, I say let them. Me thinks Mangini's ire, resentment, jealousy and spitefulness will be his downfall.

Asante will be the same player in NY as he is here: excellent. (though he may LOOK worse)

now, that doesn't mean he will make the Jets defense good on his own, but it does mean they'll get a nice boost from him, and we'll lose a top 5 CB, which sucks.

after DE, I think CB is the most important defensive position, and the hardest to find elite talents at. NFL GM's agree by paying CB's huge money, higher than all defensive players besides DE

more than the talent, i think mangini is trying to bring in the 'patriot environment' into his lockerroom thats why he wants asante... bringing in patriot type players into his system... isnt that what the jets wanted anyway, thats why they brought in mangini in the first place (to be like the pats)... 1st- patriot-type coach, 2nd- patriot-type players (samuel).... 3rd- draft patriot-type players and the rest will follow...

8M per year or whatever he will get is an expensive way to do that.

Samuel seems like a pretty low key guy.

I don't think he'd be as successful outside of the Pats system. Most people aren't.

Good bye and good luck to him (after the season).

rotoworld

i really hope we can resign him anyway possible. all we need is to face Samuel & Revis twice a year :\

But then we'd get to use the great line "Revis and Butthead" :D

I don't think he'd be as successful outside of the Pats system. Most people aren't.

I'm not sure that's true of Asante. After all, the Jets run a pretty similar defensive scheme, and Mangini (for all his faults) will at least know how to use him to maximum effectiveness. Not having a great D-line will certainly hurt him, but I wouldn't expect him to fall off the face of the planet either.

after DE, I think CB is the most important defensive position, and the hardest to find elite talents at. NFL GM's agree by paying CB's huge money, higher than all defensive players besides DE

I think that reality has changed on the field and the resulting change in the pay scale won't be far behind.

Asante is a good player, very smart with excellent ball skills (which means he is a hard worker since that wasn't the case a couple of years ago). However, the rules just don't allow corners to dominate like they used to. The skill set of today's receivers are off the charts. Take away most contact and the ability to redirect and add in an almost guaranteed PI call on the deep ball...corners just don't have a chance if left on an island frequently.

Note that I used to always add "except for Champ Bailey" after those types of statements. I don't anymore.

Corners are important but as previous posters have stated, I would rather spend money on the other positions on defense. Give my young, cheap corners a good gameplan, limited responsibilities and lots of help (coverage and pass rush). That is why I don't expect the Pats to make a serious run at Asante. That is why I would be shocked if the Pats pick a corner in the 1st round.

difference is Willie is OLD while Samuel is in his prime

Yeah? Deion Branch says HI!

Let them throw cap money at Asante Samuel. He is not worth what he's making even this year ($7 million +).

He only plays one side of the field. A truly great CB can play both sides and shut down the opposing #1 WR.

I have seen Asante have a B+ year this year (and that is being generous).

If the Pats can save the $7 million+ on the cap, I'd be happy for them to go after 2 solid CB's at $3- 3.5 each.......and use that #7 pick on the Franchise ILB of the future.

I wonder what Trufant's asking price will be.

I think that reality has changed on the field and the resulting change in the pay scale won't be far behind.

Asante is a good player, very smart with excellent ball skills (which means he is a hard worker since that wasn't the case a couple of years ago). However, the rules just don't allow corners to dominate like they used to. The skill set of today's receivers are off the charts. Take away most contact and the ability to redirect and add in an almost guaranteed PI call on the deep ball...corners just don't have a chance if left on an island frequently.

Note that I used to always add "except for Champ Bailey" after those types of statements. I don't anymore.

Corners are important but as previous posters have stated, I would rather spend money on the other positions on defense. Give my young, cheap corners a good gameplan, limited responsibilities and lots of help (coverage and pass rush). That is why I don't expect the Pats to make a serious run at Asante. That is why I would be shocked if the Pats pick a corner in the 1st round.

I think you could argue that finding good CB's is now MORE important than ever b/c of the rule enforcement. or that the skill set has simply changes. before you could find guys to play physical and rough WR's up, now you need guys with better pure coverage skills.

Yeah? Deion Branch says HI!

the Deion Branch move by Seattle might be the worst NFL move of the decade. giving up a #1 pick and huge money for a decent WR = dumb dumb dumb.

that is totally different from paying big money to a truly elite talent at a much more important position

the Deion Branch move by Seattle might be the worst NFL move of the decade. giving up a #1 pick and huge money for a decent WR = dumb dumb dumb.

that is totally different from paying big money to a truly elite talent at a much more important position

Hindsight is 20/20. Sure, a #1 was a lot to give up for Branch, but if it was a #2 it would have seemed like a steal. The fact that Branch has been hurt so much since wasn't really knowable at the time.

I would argue there were far worse NFL moves this decade. The Raiders received a 4th rounder for Randy Moss, who promptly went out and broke the single-season TD record.

Samuel had an outstanding (and by FAR his best) year in 2006.

I just don't see another career year like he had in 2006. He has NOT been worth $7 million this year. He wasn't in 2003, 2004 and 2005 either. This year, we have seen him get woefully beaten in many games (hell, just look at the playoffs). This is NOT a shutdown corner. He DOES, however, have excellent ball-hawking skills.

He's a good, second-tier CB. IMO, he's worth $4-5 million/ year. In many respects, he's a CB version of Deion Branch. I DO hope the Jets pay $8+ million per year for him. In fact, I'm rooting for that to happen.

He's a good, second-tier CB. IMO, he's worth $4-5 million/ year. In many respects, he's a CB version of Deion Branch. I DO hope the Jets pay $8+ million per year for him. In fact, I'm rooting for that to happen.

I disagree to a certain extent, because I think with the new PI rules, there are a lot fewer guys in the game who you can call true shutdown corners. Maybe none.

What Samuel does well, no one does better. Mainly recognize and jump routes. He used to freelance a lot earlier in his career, and does sometimes still, but his coverage has improved a lot.

I think he had a fine year coverage wise, and the stats bear that out, maybe not the interceptions but otherwise.

If he's not top-tier, than I don't really know who you're putting up there. That said, he's not a shutdown corner by any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back