PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JETS will Pursuit Samuel HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, I'm pretty sure Mangini was the defensive backs coach and then coordinator, so he would have spent some time I would imagine.

I've heard people talking, especially jests fans that theyd land Asante for the past few years now... kind of believed it after last season until they drafted Revis.

That sounds right...How could the Jests spend $20-30mil on a CB when they have a high priced CB on the squad, it would be insane. Of course, that word brings up Al Davis. The Raiders still have mystique with the players - the money helps a bit too.:rolleyes:

Their under-rated CB, Ash-ma-who's-it (sorrry, can't recall his name), is a very solid player coming up for FA, in 2009, I think. That gives Crazy Al the perfect excuse to covet and claim the alledged top 5 CB Samuel is supposed to be. If not in Oakland, wherever Samuel signs it will be warm, mark my words...

Denver $$$$ = Bailey + Bly = #28 Scoring Defense = #12 Draft Pick

I don't care if Asante walks as long as we continue to draft well and manage the cap, which we will.

Who's gonna be their QB?

more than the talent, i think mangini is trying to bring in the 'patriot environment' into his lockerroom thats why he wants asante... bringing in patriot type players into his system... isnt that what the jets wanted anyway, thats why they brought in mangini in the first place (to be like the pats)... 1st- patriot-type coach, 2nd- patriot-type players (samuel).... 3rd- draft patriot-type players and the rest will follow...

Mangini can make a big run at Kenny Phillips as well, but the J-E-T-S need a FREAKIN' PASS RUSH!

Screw'em

lol... they are so lame everywhere... like we worry about a CB??? they need 4 DL, and 3 LB (vilma is done)... they have a great qb named... ummm oh yeah, nevermind... they have a RB named? lol, thomas? how'd he do? WR's? zilch... no worries abouts the jests for 5 years.

rotoworld

i really hope we can resign him anyway possible. all we need is to face Samuel & Revis twice a year :\

all THEY need is to face tommy twice a year:D . tom practices against assante all year round. he knows his play. we'll be fine. let them spend all their money on samuel. the jets have bigger worries than corners.

I want us to throw some money at Marcus Trufant. I think his contract is void because of playing time. I like his game.

more than the talent, i think mangini is trying to bring in the 'patriot environment' into his lockerroom thats why he wants asante... bringing in patriot type players into his system... isnt that what the jets wanted anyway, thats why they brought in mangini in the first place (to be like the pats)... 1st- patriot-type coach, 2nd- patriot-type players (samuel).... 3rd- draft patriot-type players and the rest will follow...

Is Assante a Patriots type player?? When I think of this characterization, he does not come close to the top.

Is Assante a Patriots type player?? When I think of this characterization, he does not come close to the top.

i think he is... he is just eclipsed by bigger personalities like brady, seau, bruschi, rodney etc... i think he has the mentality, leadership and work ethic...

if they run same defense as us as expected..then i dont see why he would decline. You guys are all making it seem like only place for him to succeed is here.

Why? Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Vrabel & Colvin.

Any coach will tell you that the best Secondary is a good pass rush. Without a good pass rush, no DB can be successful.

Not a shock, Mangini went after Branch, and he wants Samual.. Wont be shocked to see him sign with the Jets march 3rd.

At least Mangini isn't pursuing him on the flight back.
oops.gif

difference is Willie is OLD while Samuel is in his prime

Willie's value goes beyond what he offers on the field. Romeo desparately needed a respected veteran who knows the system and who can keep the other players in line.

Last edited:
The Pats will be fine if Asante leaves.

That said, I really hate it when players I like go to rivals.

Going to Seattle, Cleveland, etc. -- no big deal.

Going to Indy, the Jets or the freaking Yankees -- very big deal.

Said differently, I like that I still like McGinest and even Deion. I hate that I hate Vinatieri.

I've heard people talking, especially jests fans that theyd land Asante for the past few years now... kind of believed it after last season until they drafted Revis.

I do not know why having Revis would prevent the Jets from pursuing Samuel who would upgrade their secondary. If Samuel signs with the Jets AND if they keep their current cornerbacks, one could say that signing Samuel would improve the Jets at several positions (#2 CB, #3 CB, #4CB, #5CB) as he would push down the current #2 CB a spot.

Plus the Jets already have Revis at a very very reasonable price as he still has several years left on his rookie contract. So you can argue that they are overpaying Samuel, but they might not be overpaying for the combination of Samuel and Revis.

Last edited:
look, remember how good ty law was, and if you needed reminding all you had to do is watch SB 36 last night on the NFL Network. He was good.

He went to the Jets then KC, all of a sudden he is not as noticable anymore. I have faith that BB & SP have thought of this potential senario last year. They will be on the lookout for a system corner or a vetern who is willing to take a bit less to play for a solid organization.

It's not like we haven't been here before....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes