PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JETS will Pursuit Samuel HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix 6

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The New York Daily News has heard talk at the Super Bowl that the Jets are gearing up to make a "serious run" at impending free agent Asante Samuel.
The Jets made a play for Samuel last offseason while he was wearing the franchise tag, and coach Eric Mangini is known to be close to the Pro Bowler. Samuel, who has 16 picks over the last two years, figures to command Nate Clements type money. The Jets will be in decent shape under the salary cap.
Source: New York Daily News

rotoworld

i really hope we can resign him anyway possible. all we need is to face Samuel & Revis twice a year :\

rotoworld

i really hope we can resign him anyway possible. all we need is to face Samuel & Revis twice a year :\

Mangini can make a big run at Kenny Phillips as well, but the J-E-T-S need a FREAKIN' PASS RUSH!

Screw'em

Mangini is known to be close to Asante? Since when? I didn't realize they have a close personal friendship.:rolleyes:

Asante will go to whoever shows him the money, not a surprise.

Good. Let the Jests give him $80 mil with a $25 mil sb.

The reason Crennel and Mangini got HC jobs is because those teams wanted them to run their teams like BB has run the Pats. So Romeo goes to Cleveland and overpays for Willie and now Mangini may overpay for Asante? These guys need to follow the way of their mentor.

I'm sure they will. We made our bed and next year we'll have to sleep in it - hopefully with a perfect season to cuddle up to. I wish Samuel would take a hell of a lot of money but keep it reasonable and stay hear but it's not likely to happen. The Jest would have a strong secondary with Samuel, Revis, Rhodes but they'd still have a lot of issues that Samuel can't fix.

The reason Crennel and Mangini got HC jobs is because those teams wanted them to run their teams like BB has run the Pats. So Romeo goes to Cleveland and overpays for Willie and now Mangini may overpay for Asante? These guys need to follow the way of their mentor.

difference is Willie is OLD while Samuel is in his prime

I could see Buffalo scoring Samuel. They're passing defense is awful and they will probably have ~$30M of cap room to play with. I could even see the New Orleans Saints spending the money on him.

Long term deals for Moss, Wilfork and Mankins, plus a potential top 10 pick, are on the horizon and all are a higher priority IMO than Asante, as much I appreciate him as a player.

difference is Willie is OLD while Samuel is in his prime

Is it REALLY worth it to pay a CB $30m in guaranteed money?

Ultimately, it all starts up front-no pass rush, your defensive backfield looks like absolute ****, even if you had the All-Pro team back there.

Asante's a very good corner, but he will not be as good elsewhere. He most definitely will not be worth the dough he'll get.

I could see Buffalo scoring Samuel. They're passing defense is awful and they will probably have ~$30M of cap room to play with. I could even see the New Orleans Saints spending the money on him.

Too bad the latter overspent on Jason "burnt toast" David though.

Asante's a very good corner, but he will not be as good elsewhere. He most definitely will not be worth the dough he'll get.

Yeah, I could see him going to the Jets and becoming completely average.

The thing is, Mangini is not for long with the Jets. If Samuel signs there, he better make sure the signing bonus is the key, and not the average salary of the contract. Because he'll be playing for a new coach soon, and he may find himself on the free agent market.

Tedy Bruschi took the safe money many many years ago. A great player. On any other team, however, he might have been making the minimum by now because of the way he needs to be utilized. Tedy made out better.

Mangini will end up spending 25% of his cap just on the secondary ... and then the team will be soft on the run ... :rofl: He is desperate, his only chance to get anywhere is with defense ... and even that won't work :rofl:

Yeah, I could see him going to the Jets and becoming completely average.

if they run same defense as us as expected..then i dont see why he would decline. You guys are all making it seem like only place for him to succeed is here. Thats wrong. Sure its a lot of money for a corner but one that makes plays like he does and sometimes completely shuts down his side of field..u have no idea how much pressure that puts on an offense.

Makes sense. Mangini was our secondary coach before he was our DC, so I'm sure he knows all about Samuel. That said, if the Jets are really willing to give Asante shutdown money, then that's their problem. Until they develop a decent pass rush it won't matter who they have there.

Mangini is known to be close to Asante? Since when? I didn't realize they have a close personal friendship.:rolleyes:

Asante will go to whoever shows him the money, not a surprise.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure Mangini was the defensive backs coach and then coordinator, so he would have spent some time I would imagine.

I've heard people talking, especially jests fans that theyd land Asante for the past few years now... kind of believed it after last season until they drafted Revis.

I'm sure they will. We made our bed and next year we'll have to sleep in it - hopefully with a perfect season to cuddle up to.

I think that's the best attitude to take, totally agree. It would only be natural for the jets to go after Samuel - it improves their team in a need area, a position that is becoming increasingly important on the NFL, and hurts a division rival. Also, he knows the scheme.

We'll still win, but that would be a great signing by the jets.

if they run same defense as us as expected..then i dont see why he would decline. You guys are all making it seem like only place for him to succeed is here. Thats wrong. Sure its a lot of money for a corner but one that makes plays like he does and sometimes completely shuts down his side of field..u have no idea how much pressure that puts on an offense.
All I remember is people predicting we would go 0-16 after cutting Milloy because he shut down the middle of the field, and how he was worth whatever he asked for.

He wasn't exactly the savior that the Bills and Falcons thought they were getting, and Samuel may not, either.

Don't discount the value of a strong DLine in making a DB look good.

I'm sure Samuel will be fine in NY, but I think the Jests would be better off using all that money elsewhere, sort of like they would have been better off passing on DRob and keeping those two first round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots