PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets want Penny to take $8 million pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a reasonable amount would be, say, $3 million. $1mil seems like rubbing his nose in it. Hell, he was injured for big chunks of the last two years. He IS a good QB. They can get this done, if he doesn't play chicken. But if he doesn't go along, I can see them cutting him, even with the cap hit. $8 mil is a lot to risk on a guy who's injury-prone.

He had one good season. If he feels he can be good there is no reason for him NOT to take a 1 million contract and have the rest in incentives. The Jets are in cap hell and need all the help they can get.

oldrover said:
He IS a good QB.
He was a good QB. He may still be one. But right now we have no idea and the Jets may not either.

If he hurt himself riding his motorcycle without a helmet I'd have some sympathy for the JETS. But he was seriously injured twice playing the game for them. They gave him the big contract prematurely, probably rushed him back from the first rotator surgery as a result, and gave him ****ty pass protection to add insult to re-injury. Then after his career and the teams season went down the crapper, Herm the beloved player coach bailed on him and the entire team. Tannenbaum and Mangini have no loyalty to him, and given his measured comments about him after he was hired it sounded as if Eric doesn't really have much use for him as his QB.

Any sympathy I might harbor is all reserved for poor old Noodle Arm. Hopefully he's not so earnest or deluded that he screws himself in an effort to prove what a team guy he is or to prove to them he can regain his pre-2004 form. If Chad takes this cut, he'll never see another nickle past it and potentially further damage his shoulder and his chances at any continuing career - even as a journeyman or backup. The market being what it is, he could easily take another year off to really heal and rehab then pick up a $2-3M incentive laden rebound gig as a FA perhaps with a team where he'd have a realistic shot at actually rebounding. Condon is Peymeaton's agent too, so I'm assuming protecting his client from himself and the JETS new management will be his mission.

Are the Jets allowed to cut Pennington while he is injured?

I remember when they signed the deal with Pennington. I was amazed, as most were at the size of the overall contract and bonus.

Classic example of paying a player for their potential for the future. At least with Brady, he had 3 SB's under his belt before he signed his deal. He was paid not only for what he will do in the future, but for accomplishments he already proved. Now that is the way it should be done...but as we all know in sports that is very rare.

It only worked that way for Brady because of his draft selection. Since he was paid only $225,000 in his first two years, he signed a decent contract after his first SB, but soon came 2 more SB's and they had to go right back to the drawing board.

I bet Pennington will agree to the cuts, but I see this playing out badly in the end.

My guess is they'll work out an agreement to move some of the guaranteed money into LTBE incentives or roster bonus.

Along with Chad-gate, this sort of PR should prove less than helpful in landing FA going forward. No more hugging in the Meadowlands, just two guys young enough to be position coaches playing hardball.

Jets | Poston says Law is done with the Jets
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:17:13 -0800

The Star-Ledger reports agent Carl Poston said New York Jets CB Ty Law is done with the Jets after one season. The club had hoped the presence of new head coach Eric Mangini, who coached Law in New England, would persuade Law to rework his contract and stay with the team. :rofl: "We've mutually agreed to part ways," Poston, told The Star-Ledger last night from Hawaii, site of the Pro Bowl. "There are no ill feelings. Ty had a great year. He enjoyed it there. He held up his end of the bargain. Unfortunately, the Jets had some injury problems that derailed them." Law becomes an unrestricted free agent once the Jets officially release him.

Jets | Team asks Martin to take a pay-cut
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:09:49 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have asked RB Curtis Martin to take a significant pay-cut and talks have begun on the subject. Martin will count $8.1 million on the salary cap, which includes $6.2 million in base salary. The Jets would clear $2.4 million in cap room by cutting the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher. Martin isn't untouchable, although it's believed the Jets would like to have him back in a reduced role.

Jets | Abraham wants out
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:04:01 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Jets DE John Abraham, confused by the direction of the organization and upset that it seemingly doesn't consider him part of the long-term plan, has told friends that he wants to play elsewhere. "He wants to get the hell out of New York," a person close to Abraham said Tuesday, Feb. 14. "He's pretty upset." The Jets have until Feb. 23 to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Abraham for the second straight year. The thought is the Jets will use the tag for the purpose of trading him, but there are serious salary cap implications that might force the Jets to simply let him hit the open market.

There is a certain date by which he can be cut as Ty Law was by the patriots.

PatsFanInMaine said:
Are the Jets allowed to cut Pennington while he is injured?

All together now:
PLAYERS TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE JETS: No! And please don't call until back until March 3rd.
------------------------------------------
None of these players are non-performers. They are being asked to greatly reduce their salaries because the Management doesn't know how to manage the cap and the players have been injured and the team doesn't want to pay.

What a great way to start an administration. Take four of your top players and show them how much you value them. This will be a lesson for all free agents that might consider signing with the jets in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------
MoLewisrocks said:
Along with Chad-gate, this sort of PR should prove less than helpful in landing FA going forward. No more hugging in the Meadowlands, just two guys young enough to be position coaches playing hardball.

Jets | Poston says Law is done with the Jets
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:17:13 -0800

The Star-Ledger reports agent Carl Poston said New York Jets CB Ty Law is done with the Jets after one season. The club had hoped the presence of new head coach Eric Mangini, who coached Law in New England, would persuade Law to rework his contract and stay with the team. :rofl: "We've mutually agreed to part ways," Poston, told The Star-Ledger last night from Hawaii, site of the Pro Bowl. "There are no ill feelings. Ty had a great year. He enjoyed it there. He held up his end of the bargain. Unfortunately, the Jets had some injury problems that derailed them." Law becomes an unrestricted free agent once the Jets officially release him.

Jets | Team asks Martin to take a pay-cut
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:09:49 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have asked RB Curtis Martin to take a significant pay-cut and talks have begun on the subject. Martin will count $8.1 million on the salary cap, which includes $6.2 million in base salary. The Jets would clear $2.4 million in cap room by cutting the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher. Martin isn't untouchable, although it's believed the Jets would like to have him back in a reduced role.

Jets | Abraham wants out
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:04:01 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Jets DE John Abraham, confused by the direction of the organization and upset that it seemingly doesn't consider him part of the long-term plan, has told friends that he wants to play elsewhere. "He wants to get the hell out of New York," a person close to Abraham said Tuesday, Feb. 14. "He's pretty upset." The Jets have until Feb. 23 to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Abraham for the second straight year. The thought is the Jets will use the tag for the purpose of trading him, but there are serious salary cap implications that might force the Jets to simply let him hit the open market.

I figured there was no way Condon was going to let Chad agree to risk whatever's left of a career on the JETS for clipboard holder money.

Jets | Pennington declines pay cut
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:23:48 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, has rejected the Jets' proposal to slash the injured quarterback's base salary for 2006 to $1 million and force him to earn the remaining $8 million he is owed through incentives. The Jets have until Mar. 3 to decide if they can live with Pennington's current contract, negotiate a cap reduction or release him. The quarterback is due a $3 million roster bonus Mar. 3.

Nice bunch of TEAM guys Eric's affiliated himself with in the Meadowlands. :D

Jets | Some think Pennington should be released
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:32:35 -0800

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports there are rumblings within the New York Jets organization about whether the Jets should keep QB Chad Pennington at all. Two members of the Jets' offense told The Post they believe the Jets should release Pennington. "I think we should release him; he's too injury-prone," one player said. "He's like an egg back there," another player said, referring to Pennington's fragility. "I mean, look at the ways he's gotten hurt. He hasn't even been hit that hard. The injuries have come from awkward hits and falls. I think we should just cut him."

Jets | Mawae will apparently refuse pay cut
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:27:31 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets OC Kevin Mawae, coming off surgery to repair a torn left triceps, apparently will refuse to take a pay cut and will ask the Jets to release him if they can't handle his projected $4.5 million cap figure.

Jets | Abraham to be franchised again
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:35:10 -0800

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports sources with knowledge of the situation have told the paper the New York Jets have notified DE John Abraham's representatives that the team will once again name him their franchise player. Abraham will earn $8.3 million next season. Even though the Jets will tag Abraham, they may still try to trade him, with San Diego, Washington, Cleveland and Houston possible destinations.

What a mess and it couldn't happen to a better team(except the Raiders).

:rofl:

I understand this was meant to be a negotiation, and they were expecting Pennington's agent to come back with a counter offer

But starting at $1 million?

C'mon - they might as well have offered him $0 to start if they were going to go that low

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back