PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets tried to get Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gholston was one of a very few players the Jets have missed on compared to the Pats.

Oh dear. Have you actually looked at your team's 2010 draft class?

Gholston was one of a very few players the Jets have missed on compared to the Pats.

The core of the Jets team is made up through the draft.

Not talking smack, just stating what should be pretty much known around here..

Your drafting talent includes putting in claims for SEVEN of the other teams' castoffs today. That sounds like crazy talent and depth over there.

As far as BB 'going older vets again vs younger players' (paraphrasing), there had to be balance. The defense was simply too young. I read somewhere where a serious majority (40% or more) were players on last yr's 53 man roster who were 3 yrs and under.

Adding some incredible depth for decent picks and prices is nothing to be ashamed about. Your team of all teams has done that plenty of times.

It isn't about 'getting old' again, it's about adding some of this yr's vets to a mix of a team of current/future younger players, especially on defense.

Last edited:
The Jets actually have a very good-looking returner for punts and kicks in their rookie Kerley. They just don't have a 4th WR. Or a 3rd RB. 3Rd OT, 3rd Guard. 3RD CB.

Are we seeing the pattern? Meanwhile the Pats are leading the league in cut guys getting claimed. How does anybody think that is a better team?

Oh sorry, Gilyard has solved all of their problems.

Oh dear. Have you actually looked at your team's 2010 draft class?
Or 2009, or 2008, or 2011? Or 2005, 2004, 2003....
The Jets have 4 picks in 06-07 that were good, and thats the extent of their draft success,
They haven't drafted a player since Ryan showed up that is an average starter at his position, or really even close to it.

You're not a bad guy jf1, but there's a lot wrong w/ this post buddy..

First off, they aren't "busts" if other teams claim them on the waiver wire. That actually proves the exact opposite. Everyone wants our castoffs, as proven by the 9 players signed that the team got rid of. Is there any other team whose castoffs are so highly sought?

That's just silly, if they are let go from the Pats, they busted, all teams do release players that work out for other teams, Pats have done the same with players like Woodhead, and are trying so again with Ellis and Ihedigbo.

Teams will look at final cutdown day because it's usually when the most influx of talent will be on the waiver wire.

You weren't personally a fan of this yr's moves? In the past 4-5 yrs, 12 out of our first 13 picks were on defense!!! (with the exception of Gronkowski) It was obviously time to address the offense with some high offensive picks.

But many of those defensive picks have busted, it's why they continued to either draft defensive players, or sign older FA's.

We absolutely STOLE Mallett, who was projected to MIA at #15 overall in most of the mock drafts. We absolutely STOLE Cannon, who was a first round/early second rd pick in most mocks...You don't like those picks? LOL.

Mallet was a nice pick from where you got him, but you didn't steal him, there was a reason he dropped, his off-the-field issues, and he also isn't the brightest bulb in the box, he struggles at the part of the game a QB should not struggle, at leas the better QB's in the league, his smarts. He does have very good physical attributes, but so did Ryan Leaf. Not at all saying he is the next Ryan Leaf, but let's be honest, not so sure a Pats fan can rave about a player they hope will never see the field for the duration of his current contract.

They added Solder at 17 overall, who is paired up with pro-bowler Light, and 2nd team all pro Vollmer to make up 3 incredible tackles! That, in your mind--is reaching???

Light and pro-bowl is a farce, he's at the end of his career and was only put on the PB team because of multiple injuries and players backing out, we both know Light is an average OT at best.

We also made sure that the plethora of high 1st/2nd picks continues next yr, by replacing all of the usual 1st and 2nd additional picks all over again...it's playing with HOUSE money dude. Even if they fail, Belichick just replaces the high first and seconds anyway...

You have seriously got to be totally kidding me..

Belichick does collect his picks, but what good are they if he continues to make questionable selections, or drafts players that bust out and wind up on the waiver wire, and never moves up in the draft to go after a blue-chip player? Sure, he has had some good picks, Gronk, Hernandez, McCourty look to be very solid, but if you look at the bigger picture over the last several years, the numbers aren't that good.

Add in Vereen and Ridley (who looked phenomenal) in the pre-season, and you also have 2 current/future RB's.

We really don't know anything about either of these players yet, not sure what you're trying to say here...

That, and the fact they got another 6'2" CB in Dowling, who was another 1st rd talent, and where exactly is the problem?

A first round talent? I've read a lot about how he was a reach, and what has he done thusfar, hasn't he been hurt, and has barely been on the field?

Next yr will be more of the same. Make sure you have 2 firsts, 2 seconds again for 2013, and take a bunch of young talent.

As a matter of fact, every single yr the draftniks rave about how BB is THE best at replacing and replenishing high rd picks.

Again, no questioning Belichick collects pick, it's what he does with those picks. The media loves to whore out the master Belichick and his "mastery" in how he manipulates the draft, well, if all you were doing is evaluating how he trades and collects draft picks, sure, but what he actually does with those picks, I think that is the bigger issue, which is my point.

Obviously the Pats have some good talent, but with so many picks in recent years, you'd think they'd have so much more, and looking at the bigger picture, Brady masquerades many of those weaknesses, as does Belichick with his schemes and coaching.

Brady masquerades many of those weaknesses, as does Belichick with his schemes and coaching.

heh...jeezus....you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried for 43 years...

"masquerades"?

no...a masquerade is what Wrecks plays when he checks into the Toe Club under an assumed name...

The Jets actually have a very good-looking returner for punts and kicks in their rookie Kerley. They just don't have a 4th WR. Or a 3rd RB. 3Rd OT, 3rd Guard. 3RD CB.

Are we seeing the pattern? Meanwhile the Pats are leading the league in cut guys getting claimed. How does anybody think that is a better team?

Oh sorry, Gilyard has solved all of their problems.

The Jets have two very solid RB's in McKnight and the kid they drafted Powell, both have been impressive in camp, McKnight especially has improved from a year ago, remains to be seen what they have in Powell, but to say they don't have a 3rd RB is a stretch.

Same for WR, Kerley is their #4 WR, Gilyard is their #5 until he learns the system, not sure how you can knock a pick-up like Gilyard, his pre-draft reports are impressive, the kid has talent, was caught up in a numbers game in St Louis. Not sure what you mean by Gilyard solving any problems, he addresses depth, he's a pretty solid player to have as a #5 WR with upside to develop.

The Jets traded for their #3 OG in Schlauderaff, and will have Turner back in about a month to 6 weeks.

So the Pats are leading the league in guys getting cut getting claimed? Is that some noteworthy stat? Many times, it's players being picked up for teams to dissect for info. I find it a bit humorous that some of that talent the Pats are releasing is so that the Pats can use roster spots for ex-Jets? ;)

The core of the Jets team is made up through the draft.

Not talking smack, just stating what should be pretty much known around here..

No, it's smack. It's also misleading, since the Jets had been getting rid of their draft picks instead of keeping them. From 2007-2010, the Jets only kept 17 out of a standard 28 picks, and were top heavy, with 5 of the 17 being first round picks. So, in a 4 year span, the Jets had 29% of their picks in the first round, compared to the standard 14%, and weren't doing anything like building through the draft. Instead, they were building around guys like Woody, Faneca, LdT, Scott, etc... and using the top of the draft to buttress those moves.

Take that weak crap back over to J.I., or bring better game here.

Last edited:
So you're calling 2 time pro-bowler and the guy with the 2nd most turnovers at his position (since starting) other than Polamalu--- Meriweather a bust? And Sanders, who has experience and QB'ed the defensive backfield--a bust? You're calling 2 of the highly sought after TE's that were cut and immediately thrown multiple waiver claims at 'busts?' Not sure what you are honestly getting at?

Even Tate returned 2 TD's on KO's last yr, and averaged 18 yards a catch..the depth was too great for these players.

They aren't necessarily 'busts' just b/c the depth was too great too keep them.

Last edited:
That's just silly, if they are let go from the Pats, they busted, all teams do release players that work out for other teams, Pats have done the same with players like Woodhead, and are trying so again with Ellis and Ihedigbo.

Teams will look at final cutdown day because it's usually when the most influx of talent will be on the waiver wire.

But many of those defensive picks have busted, it's why they continued to either draft defensive players, or sign older FA's.

Mallet was a nice pick from where you got him, but you didn't steal him, there was a reason he dropped, his off-the-field issues, and he also isn't the brightest bulb in the box, he struggles at the part of the game a QB should not struggle, at leas the better QB's in the league, his smarts. He does have very good physical attributes, but so did Ryan Leaf. Not at all saying he is the next Ryan Leaf, but let's be honest, not so sure a Pats fan can rave about a player they hope will never see the field for the duration of his current contract.

Light and pro-bowl is a farce, he's at the end of his career and was only put on the PB team because of multiple injuries and players backing out, we both know Light is an average OT at best.

Belichick does collect his picks, but what good are they if he continues to make questionable selections, or drafts players that bust out and wind up on the waiver wire, and never moves up in the draft to go after a blue-chip player? Sure, he has had some good picks, Gronk, Hernandez, McCourty look to be very solid, but if you look at the bigger picture over the last several years, the numbers aren't that good.

We really don't know anything about either of these players yet, not sure what you're trying to say here...

A first round talent? I've read a lot about how he was a reach, and what has he done thusfar, hasn't he been hurt, and has barely been on the field?

Again, no questioning Belichick collects pick, it's what he does with those picks. The media loves to whore out the master Belichick and his "mastery" in how he manipulates the draft, well, if all you were doing is evaluating how he trades and collects draft picks, sure, but what he actually does with those picks, I think that is the bigger issue, which is my point.

Obviously the Pats have some good talent, but with so many picks in recent years, you'd think they'd have so much more, and looking at the bigger picture, Brady masquerades many of those weaknesses, as does Belichick with his schemes and coaching.

I suppose the fact that the Patriots have won the AFCE 7 of the last 8 years only missing when Brady was knocked out in game 1 and have at least tied for the best record in the division TEN YEARS IN A ROW and the fact that in those 10 years no team has won more games, won more playoff games, gone to more CC games, won more CC games, gone to more SBs or won more SBs, makes your criticism of how Belichick builds a team ignorant and biased. But carry on and tell us how great a job getting 2 consecutive 6 seeds is in building a winner.

McKnight has upside, a lot more than Woodhead has,
Love to listen to Jets fans rationalize why it was smart last year to cut Woodhead. Music to my ears.

Woodhead doesn't have upside, btw. Upside is when you haven't done squat but might be good one of these days. Woodhead was good last year. He has production. McKnight has potential upside and might possibly be productive this year (year 2 or 3?).

Upside and potential are great for rookies before their first regular season. After two years, a player who has no production but lots of potential upside is a guy who has been a disappointment.

So you're calling 2 time pro-bowler and the guy with the 2nd most turnovers at his position (since starting) other than Polamalu--- Meriweather a bust? And Sanders, who has experience and QB'ed the defensive backfield--a bust? You're calling 2 of the highly sought after TE's that were cut and immediately thrown multiple waiver claims at 'busts?' Not sure what you are honestly getting at?

Even Tate returned 2 TD's on KO's last yr, and averaged 18 yards a catch..the depth was too great for these players.

They aren't necessarily 'busts' just b/c the depth was too great too keep them.

Wait, so Meriweather was a good player? Wasn't he released because he struggled executing Belichick's scheme and struggled with the cerebral part of the game? You reference his pro bowls as if they should mean something, then why did the Pats release him? And please don't tell me it's the Pats depth, because they are replacing Merriweather with a player that isn't established at the position, obviously, something else went on, a bit deeper as to why Meriweather is no longer with the team.

Tate was a solid player, I actually was hoping the Jets would put in a claim, they did, and wound up with Gilyard, I'm just as happy.

Love to listen to Jets fans rationalize why it was smart last year to cut Woodhead. Music to my ears.

Woodhead doesn't have upside, btw. Upside is when you haven't done squat but might be good one of these days. Woodhead was good last year. He has production. McKnight has potential upside and might possibly be productive this year (year 2 or 3?).

Upside and potential are great for rookies before their first regular season. After two years, a player who has no production but lots of potential upside is a guy who has been a disappointment.

Isn't that the point? Woodhead wasn't going to play ahead of LT or Green last year, he got the opportunity in New England because of injury. So he played, teams knew nothing about him, and he was effective in their system. Then the playoffs came, and the Jets game planned for him, and knew how to shut him down, that's going to happen more this year, this is probably why the Pats drafted two more RB's.

The Jets weren't going to keep Woodhead over a player they just drafted in McKnight, not sure how this is anything but smart.

Last edited:
I'll give you the point on my speculating about Vereen and Ridley, although Vereen was certainly rated pretty highly at the RB position, and Ridley has definitely looked good so far in the pre-season.

Dowling looked great last week, playing agressive on the line in man-to-man coverage--so I'm not sure why you'd consider that a 'reach.'

I am not suggesting that Belichick is the end-all-be-all of drafting guru's, but he has done a decent job of rebuilding on the fly. We were supposed to be in a rebuilding mode last yr, and properly went 14-2, mostly against top 10 defenses all yr round.

Of course, your team played a great scheme in the PO game, and deserved to win, but other than that, the 2010 year of additional youth was a major success.

As far as Light goes---no, I do not agree that he is "average at best." He has locked down the LT spot for almost a decade now, and they would not have even considered giving him a pact like that again if they did not value his talent. Light is NOT just a pro-bowler due to "injuries" and guys backing out. Maybe you forget that the coaches have a vote too? Light has not been perfect, but he's been pretty damn solid and dependable for a long time now.

Wait, so Meriweather was a good player? Wasn't he released because he struggled executing Belichick's scheme and struggled with the cerebral part of the game? You reference his pro bowls as if they should mean something, then why did the Pats release him? And please don't tell me it's the Pats depth, because they are replacing Merriweather with a player that isn't established at the position, obviously, something else went on, a bit deeper as to why Meriweather is no longer with the team.

Tate was a solid player, I actually was hoping the Jets would put in a claim, they did, and wound up with Gilyard, I'm just as happy.

Meriweather liked to freelance, and tackled at a bad angle. He also did not catch BB's eye as far as correcting mistakes and doing his job as told. He has certainly not even come close to proving to be 'a bust.' That is completely ridiculous. Go look at the numbers. When you cut a 2x pro-bowl safety who has played in all 64 games since being drafted, you obviously are either changing schemes or are pleased with the talent that you currently have.

He has his problems sure..but he was NOT a 'bust.' That is very close to being outright dumb.

The Jets have two very solid RB's in McKnight and the kid they drafted Powell, both have been impressive in camp, McKnight especially has improved from a year ago, remains to be seen what they have in Powell, but to say they don't have a 3rd RB is a stretch.

Same for WR, Kerley is their #4 WR, Gilyard is their #5 until he learns the system, not sure how you can knock a pick-up like Gilyard, his pre-draft reports are impressive, the kid has talent, was caught up in a numbers game in St Louis. Not sure what you mean by Gilyard solving any problems, he addresses depth, he's a pretty solid player to have as a #5 WR with upside to develop.

The Jets traded for their #3 OG in Schlauderaff, and will have Turner back in about a month to 6 weeks.

So the Pats are leading the league in guys getting cut getting claimed? Is that some noteworthy stat? Many times, it's players being picked up for teams to dissect for info. I find it a bit humorous that some of that talent the Pats are releasing is so that the Pats can use roster spots for ex-Jets? ;)

Just because you have players at spots like #3 OG doesn't mean that they are good. When you get Turner back they will have one decent backup lineman. Good for you.

Your RB's were impressive in camp, good for them. If I had a nickel for every player that was impressive in a camp...

And yes, the fact that the other teams had a ton of scouts at every Pats pre-season game and that a bunch of their cuts are getting picked up is a testament to their depth.

I'm not sure what Ellis has to do with anything as he was a FA. Have any of the Jets cuts been picked up by anybody else? Don't see teams drooling over your guys, meanwhile we had multiple guys getting claimed by multiple teams.

What you fail to realize is that horseshoe Rex has jammed up his ass is going to fall out soon and you'll have some injuries. You know, to actual starters.

If the Jets lose an OL, especially Mangold or D'brick, it's hello 4th place. The Pats meanwhile have set records for games lost to injury while winning Superbowls.

A bust is someone like Gholston. Having to cut guys because you can have only have 53 and those guys who are cut being swarmed on by other teams = not busts.

As for Gilyard, I was merely referencing the JI geniuses who think every player they sign is going to turn into a pro-bowler. Maybin had the pass rush fixed until...

Or 2009, or 2008, or 2011? Or 2005, 2004, 2003....
The Jets have 4 picks in 06-07 that were good, and thats the extent of their draft success,
They haven't drafted a player since Ryan showed up that is an average starter at his position, or really even close to it.

You do realize Sanchez, Green, Slauson, Conner, all starters were drafted under Ryan, don't you?

I suppose the fact that the Patriots have won the AFCE 7 of the last 8 years only missing when Brady was knocked out in game 1 and have at least tied for the best record in the division TEN YEARS IN A ROW and the fact that in those 10 years no team has won more games, won more playoff games, gone to more CC games, won more CC games, gone to more SBs or won more SBs, makes your criticism of how Belichick builds a team ignorant and biased. But carry on and tell us how great a job getting 2 consecutive 6 seeds is in building a winner.
They guy is just weird. Players the Pats cut are busts because we had 60+ NFL-quality players and could only keep 53?

Here we go again

Very solid and have done nothing in the NFL do not go together.

Caught up in a numbers game? He was not good enough to make the Rams after spending an unpordcutive season on their bench. The Rams had maybe the worst WR corps in the NFL last year. No one else claimed him on waivers. You are the only team that wanted him.
Kerley is a 5th round pick and its doubtful he can even play in this league.
But don't let me stop you from naming the guys on the depth chart and pretending they can play.

Right that 6th round pick who was getting cut by the Packers, and just saw your playbook today.. Gee you are all set there huh?

So the Pats are leading the league in guys getting cut getting claimed? Is that some noteworthy stat?
Of course it is, because it indicates the quality of depth this team has. Guys who weren't good enough to make our team are good enough for other teams to claim, and cut a guy who made their team, sight unseen.
On the other hand, your team found 7 guys that other teams didnt want and hoped you could cut one of your guys to get them. Oops 8 you traded for a guy GB was cutting.

Many times, it's players being picked up for teams to dissect for info.
Thats a joke right? You think Miami signed a UDFA TE to get info on us? Seattle a DL, why does Seattle need to waste a roster spot to ask a DT about a team they don't play this year? Cincy? Houston? Weakass argument by you.

I find it a bit humorous that some of that talent the Pats are releasing is so that the Pats can use roster spots for ex-Jets? ;)
You mean the RB who was better last year than anyone you kept? Or the DL who was your best DL last year, that you wanted back and your coach was pissed at for leaving? Gotcha.

You do realize Sanchez, Green, Slauson, Conner, all starters were drafted under Ryan, don't you?
Yes I certainly do.
Please give me a good laugh and tell me which one you think is an average NFL starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back