PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets trading RT Wayne Hunter for RT Jason Smith of the Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rams must love this trade!

They manage to get a backup for a backup and save a few million!

The Jets must make some teams think good about themselves!

I was out in St Louis recently and caught a Rams game. After watching Smith literally get pushed back and run over a few times ( even worse than the Cardinals LT -Young) my thought was.."he could get a QB killed out there".....
If he couldn't handle it in StL, how is he going to handle the media in NY?????

Last edited:
for a player to player evaluation; the jets may be slightly better off w/ smith as their backup rather than hunter;

But was that worth burning up 1.5M of (i believe it was) 4M cap space.

if their wrs suck so bad; i thought they might try for stallworth or gaffney; but if they have no cap space left - :bricks: Gotta love it. :D

They have about $4M left which would still allow for a vet min deal or two, not that I think either player would be interested. Stallworth might need the money as much of his earlier earnings went to his settlement. Both may hold out hope of an in-season injury call-up here. And of course Tanny could always hit the equity line of credit based on otherwise he may not have a cap to worry about in 2013. He had been planning to shop the waiver wire extensively, but the teams ahead of him and especially Indy and Miami will be intent on scooping up anything of value there to augment their rosters in rebuild mode.

They have about $4M left which would still allow for a vet min deal or two, .....

If they still have 4M after doing this deal for 1.5. (??) I guess they were better off than I thought.

One thing being overlooked in this is the Jets' cap situation. They are about $25 million over the cap for next year. They can get to the cap pretty easy with a few cuts along with the possibility of Smith's final year getting voided. That's not the issue. It is freeing up space to sign some significant free agents on their roster (Keller most notably) and signing new free agents.

It may not seem like a lot, but by adding Smith and removing Hunter they remove $1.6 million of pass through cap money from this year to next year. But the Jets might be scraping for cap dollars to make moves unless Jason from NY Jets Cap is right and they blow it up next offseason.

BTW, the Jets could have cut Hunter in February and not have been on the hook for the $2.4 million guaranteed that was the reason why the Jets didn't just cut Hunter. So unless Smith has a miracle resurrection of his career, this was a $4 million mistake. And the Jets fans make fun of Belichick for signing Shaun Ellis for $5 million last year (at least Ellis had his moments last year).

Last edited:
One thing being overlooked in this is the Jets' cap situation. They are about $25 million over the cap for next year. They can get to the cap pretty easy with a few cuts along with the possibility of Smith's final year getting voided. That's not the issue. It is freeing up space to sign some significant free agents on their roster (Keller most notably) and signing new free agents.

It may not seem like a lot, but by adding Smith and removing Hunter they remove $1.6 million of pass through cap money from this year to next year. But the Jets might be scraping for cap dollars to make moves unless Jason from NY Jets Cap is right and they blow it up next offseason.

BTW, the Jets could have cut Hunter in February and not have been on the hook for the $2.4 million guaranteed that was the reason why the Jets didn't just cut Hunter. So unless Smith has a miracle resurrection of his career, this was a $4 million mistake. And the Jets fans make fun of Belichick for signing Shaun Ellis for $5 million last year (at least Ellis had his moments last year).
I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view on this upon further reflection.

Aside for the extra $1.6MM the Jets will be paying Smith more than Hunter, I think the Jets get far more upside potential. I know its not much, but hope is one of the most powerful emotions, and now, at least the Jets and their fans can hold out the hope that a change of scenery can facilitate an improvement in Smith's game.

I mean the physical talent that made him the #2 pick in the draft must still be there. I can only imagine that that whatever has dropped him from that lofty perch in April of 2009 to where he is now is probably a mental function. Who knows if for some unknown reason, something clicks in this kid's brain and he suddenly "gets it"

Likely to happen? Hardly Jeff Fisher isn't an idiot and its not exactly what he's left with is very appetizing either. Smith had to be pretty bad for him to give up on someone just entering their 4th year. But consider this. With Hunter they had a 30 year old career back up who faltered when the spotlight hit him. They KNOW who they have in him. With Smith, a talented player, just going into his 4th season, there IS the slight hope he can reach his potential and become a home run....or at least a more reasonable shot that Smith is better than what you gave up.

Given the desperate situation the Jets are in, it was worth $1.6MM more to take a shot. We've wasted a lot more recently. Their FO should at least get some Kudos for trying.

Could we call this the New York "Sad Sack" Exchange?

I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view on this upon further reflection.

Aside for the extra $1.6MM the Jets will be paying Smith more than Hunter, I think the Jets get far more upside potential. I know its not much, but hope is one of the most powerful emotions, and now, at least the Jets and their fans can hold out the hope that a change of scenery can facilitate an improvement in Smith's game.

I mean the physical talent that made him the #2 pick in the draft must still be there. I can only imagine that that whatever has dropped him from that lofty perch in April of 2009 to where he is now is probably a mental function. Who knows if for some unknown reason, something clicks in this kid's brain and he suddenly "gets it"

Likely to happen? Hardly Jeff Fisher isn't an idiot and its not exactly what he's left with is very appetizing either. Smith had to be pretty bad for him to give up on someone just entering their 4th year. But consider this. With Hunter they had a 30 year old career back up who faltered when the spotlight hit him. They KNOW who they have in him. With Smith, a talented player, just going into his 4th season, there IS the slight hope he can reach his potential and become a home run....or at least a more reasonable shot that Smith is better than what you gave up.

Given the desperate situation the Jets are in, it was worth $1.6MM more to take a shot. We've wasted a lot more recently. Their FO should at least get some Kudos for trying.

The more I learn about Smith, the less I think about him. He seems to be the Rams' Vernon Gholston (although not drafted nearly as high or in the same position). I don't know if you are going to get anything more out of him because he doesn't seemed to be wired the right way. The Jets have already failed with guys who lack desire already and seem to be struggling a bit with Coples and his attitude at the moment. What makes you believe that Smith with an attitude and effort problem in St. Louis is going to turn it around in NY where they seems to be less structure or accountability.

The more I learn about Smith, the less I think about him. He seems to be the Rams' Vernon Gholston (although not drafted nearly as high or in the same position).

Wasn't Smith actually drafted higher? Anyway...in an amusing side plot, Hunter will be joining Gholston on the Rams' roster. Kudos to a couple of JetsInsider posters for this priceless exchange:

Here's a head scratcher...what happens when Hunter goes against Gholston in practice?

Hmm. The stoppable force meets the movable object.

Jets Insider.com Forums

The more I learn about Smith, the less I think about him. He seems to be the Rams' Vernon Gholston (although not drafted nearly as high or in the same position). I don't know if you are going to get anything more out of him because he doesn't seemed to be wired the right way. The Jets have already failed with guys who lack desire already and seem to be struggling a bit with Coples and his attitude at the moment. What makes you believe that Smith with an attitude and effort problem in St. Louis is going to turn it around in NY where they seems to be less structure or accountability.
No I understand your point perfectly. I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out that with Hunter, he was what he was, a career backup who probably never should have been put into the situation he was given. With Smith you have an athletic talent that made him a top pick in the first round. Jet fans have, at least, the tease of that talent to hope for. With Hunter they didn't even have that. That alone was probably worth the $1.6MM extra.

Besides, what fun was kicking Wayne Hunter around anymore. By now Ray will be planing his vacation around Smith's pro bowl appearance. Rex will announce that he hasn't seen this kind of talent in a RT in all his years, and Sanchez will get sacked 3 times in the Buffalo game and consider it an improvement. :D

Wasn't Smith actually drafted higher? Anyway...in an amusing side plot, Hunter will be joining Gholston on the Rams' roster. Kudos to a couple of JetsInsider posters for this priceless exchange:

Jets Insider.com Forums

You are right. Smith was drafted higher.

I do think it was a smart move for the Jets, despite the extra cap hit and regardless of whether Smith turns out to be any better than Hunter.

They HAD to get rid of Hunter -- that situation had turned toxic, with ugliness brewing in the combo of angry fans, vicious media, and Hunter's increasingly battered psyche. And they HAD to come up with a backup tackle, which is a bizarrely scarce commodity this offseason.

They're still left with crap, but at least that's better than toxic crap. :confused2:

I do think it was a smart move for the Jets, despite the extra cap hit and regardless of whether Smith turns out to be any better than Hunter.

They HAD to get rid of Hunter -- that situation had turned toxic, with ugliness brewing in the combo of angry fans, vicious media, and Hunter's increasingly battered psyche. And they HAD to come up with a backup tackle, which is a bizarrely scarce commodity this offseason.

They're still left with crap, but at least that's better than toxic crap. :confused2:

I agree in the Hunter case. Unfortunately for the Jets, their organization is a toilet bowl of toxic crap.

Five days ago Wrecks said this:

...and knowing the history of Wayne -- the success he had basically as a sixth man -- I decided that's the way we're going to go. ... I'm going to put Wayne in that role, where really he excelled, and that's being a guy who basically fits whether it's a tackle or guard, tight end."

Yeah, right.

...900 reporters in a crowded meeting room to interview Wrecks Cryan....Cryan walks in..

"Good afternoon everyone...believe me when I tell you...."

...900 reporters leave en masse with dejected faces...

Sox reportedly on the line with the Jets about taking Lackey. He may not project well as a great pass blocker, but he sure has enabled a lot of runs.

Gratuitous snarky jokes aside, I completely agree with Ken here.

Jets have a guy that is a back-up, but is struggling in the environment. Rams have a guy in the same situation. Both have a better chance to succeed elsewhere.

And if we are going to make fun of another team's waste of $1.5mm, be prepared for someone to maybe bring up Chad Ochocinco/Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jonathan Fanene, Leigh Bodden, Ty Warren, Tully Banta-Cain, Brandon Meriweather, Josh Barrett, Adalius Thomas, Richard Seymour, and so forth all the way back to trading Drew Bledsoe after giving him a $100mm contract.

I was out in St Louis recently and caught a Rams game. After watching Smith literally get pushed back and run over a few times ( even worse than the Cardinals LT -Young) my thought was.."he could get a QB killed out there".....
If he couldn't handle it in StL, how is he going to handle the media in NY?????
Maybe thats the plan? Get Sanchez injured so Tebow can take over without controversy?

Gratuitous snarky jokes aside, I completely agree with Ken here.

Jets have a guy that is a back-up, but is struggling in the environment. Rams have a guy in the same situation. Both have a better chance to succeed elsewhere.

And if we are going to make fun of another team's waste of $1.5mm, be prepared for someone to maybe bring up Chad Ochocinco/Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jonathan Fanene, Leigh Bodden, Ty Warren, Tully Banta-Cain, Brandon Meriweather, Josh Barrett, Adalius Thomas, Richard Seymour, and so forth all the way back to trading Drew Bledsoe after giving him a $100mm contract.

Huh?

I guess you don't really grasp the concept of acting out of desperation.

This trade was like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic .... no matter what you do the ship is still going down .... man this is going to fun to watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back