Jets tampered with Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
JETS TAMPERED WITH RYAN?

I didn't notice this specific angle when I was pounding out the item about Lane and Monte Kiffin, primarily because I was more concerned about finding a good Sanford and Son clip on YouTube. (I couldn't.)

But then the light bulb flickered.

The item from InsideBayArea.com to which the "Kiffin and Son" item links indicates that Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was informed prior to the team's regular-season finale that he won't be retained -- and that he "had already secured his next place of employment."

If that's accurate, it would mean that the Jets talked with Ryan about employment while Ryan was still the property of the Raiders.

And that would be tampering.

(Hey, I thought only the Patriots violated the rules.)

Regardless, it appears that Jets defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is out, and that Ryan will be reunited with head coach Eric Mangini. Ryan was the linebackers coach in New England while Mangini worked there as defensive backs coach.

Re: Jets tampered with Ryan ?

Florio has gone from a rumor mongering site to a rumor generator wannabe.

Maybe it's just me but if he had already been told he was not wanted and has already secured his next job maybe he did one after the other.

Who knows, he could have had permission.

There are certainly a few discrepancies and some questions here.

1) When did Rob Ryan know he was going to be fired?
2) Did he have permission to talk to the Jets?
3) If I was a player and they gave Ryan permission to interview, I'd be upset because it would mean his focus wasn't on the last game of the season.
4) If Ryan signed the contract while still under contract to the Raiders, it smacks of Bill Parcells-esque ala 1996. It is also tampering, unless, of course, he had permission, but I don't believe he is allowed to sign the contract. It would have to be a verbal commitment.

Moss is on the bubble!

Last edited:
Florio is increasingly falling into the gossip-monger's trap: he's all sanctimonious about teams and players Doing Right, but really he's desperately hoping for them to do wrong so he has something to act scandalized about. Sorry to disappoint you Mike, but "tampering" with a guy whose already been given his pink slip has to be the least scandalous scandal in town.

Tampering is the Jets' m.o.
Can a hyena change its stripes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill