PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets structured Revis' contract so that it was near impossible for the Pats to match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Albert Breer:

Darrelle Revis' deal: $2M to sign; Base salaries (2015-19): $16M, $17M, $13M, $10M, $10M. Roster bonuses of $1M fronting '18/'19 option yrs.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/578292420133195776

Sure you can make the argument that the Pats could have structured it any way they wanted, but only if Revis was willing to agree. Unfortunately, this deal is favorable to the player.

From Ben Volin's Twitter:

CAaALvmUUAE6Uiz.png:large

Yeah..... in hindsight, there was zero chance of the #Patriots matching this deal for Revis

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/578290556805242880

Considering they'll have to make a decision two days into 2017 about whether to keep him, any season long injury to Revis would effectively mean that they could be paying him $39m for one and a bit years of playing time. Huge risk.

And as has been pointed out, who says this Jets deal was their final/last offer?

It's faulty logic to simply assume all the Patriots had to do was propose this deal and we would have had him.

There's a lot out there that suggests they wanted the Revis back victory at almost any price. I think had the Patriots met this deal, the Jet's would have gone higher than this in response.

It was a game of one-ups-manship that the Patriots had no chance of ever winning, in my opinion.

So Danger, what you are saying is that we might have had to give him an even worse deal to keep him and even that may not have worked?

That's phucking interesting man.
maxresdefault.jpg

Details of deal structure aren't that important except in the case of RFAs of various kinds. If the Patriots had chosen to, they could have made an offer that financially appealing or more so. They just thought it a poor decision to offer Revis enough money to persuade him to stay.

And by the way -- we got a year of Revis for a lot less money than he got the Jets to pay him per year, so I have nothing against him except that he now plays for a team that I want to see do badly.

The Pats knew this Monday last, that is why they told Browner to try to negotiate with other teams..

This is such an obvious case of tampering, do not know how the league can ignore it..

The Pats have a lot of players due to get "paid" next year, so they could not match this offer..

I don't see any new information in this thread... these details were reported the day he signed the deal. Patriots "could have" matched if they really wanted to but chose not to.

My conclusion is the opposite of the OP's. The Jets could have screwed the Patriots by giving Revis a huge signing bonus right now (without spreading it out.) They could have, say, given him a $25M payday for year one and then less in later years, since they had the cap room to do it and New England did not. However, they probably would not have done that because they know Revis would just hold out after this year.

The Jets had 55m in cap space. There wasn't any way in hell he was coming back once he became a free agent. If you think the Jets stop bidding, if Pats up offer. You're kidding yourself. Only way he stays is if we'd have picked up 20m option. Wouldn't have McCourty, Sheard, Chandler and others.

Jets could afford him because they suck and don't have as many high priced players. Yes. Suck!!!

The Jets had 55m in cap space. There wasn't any way in hell he was coming back once he became a free agent. If you think the Jets stop bidding, if Pats up offer. You're kidding yourself. Only way he stays is if we'd have picked up 20m option. Wouldn't have McCourty, Sheard, Chandler and others.

Yup, exactly my point.

The Internet GMs want to pretend that all the Patriots had to do was match this offer and they'd have had him and ignore the very likely plausibility that the Jets simply counteroffer with more.

Bidding begins with:
Jets with 55 million in cap space
Patriots with negative cap space

Yup, exactly my point.

The Internet GMs want to pretend that all the Patriots had to do was match this offer and they'd have had him and ignore the very likely plausibility that the Jets simply counteroffer with more.

Bidding begins with:
Jets with 55 million in cap space
Patriots with negative cap space

Posters on here and much of the media just aren't very good at math. Giriardi was on WEEI today and he says we can afford Revis, Solder, Hightower, Jones and Collins over the next few years. Yeah...

Sorry, I'm not following. How do these breakdowns change our perception of Revis's new contract? We already knew of 16m, 17m, then 6m being fully guaranteed (and tough to match especially with the 5m carryover from last season.). I agree the Pats really weren't in position to match it...but what is it about either tweet that makes anything new?

We have John "The Glacier" Idzik to thank Revis' departure. He spent almost none of the Jester cap space last season, allowing for their big splurge this year.

Though I have to wonder what if the Patriots traded for Revis' 16 million dollar a year contract from Tampa instead of waiting for him to get cut? He'd be under contract for 3 more year with no guaranteed money.

It'll be fun watching offenses eat up clock and convert 3d downs at an alarming rate (see 10-13 pats defenses) next year....all because kraft wanted to add to his pot o' gold....kraftys a real leprechaun, just watch him at the st Patrick day bkfst!!!!

And after this season they will ask him to restructure and he will hold out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing