PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JETS sign Plax...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good pick up for the Jets in IMO. Plax gave the Pats nightmares everytime they matched up (vs our former midget CBs). Hopefully our new CBs are much better at covering him. He is a talented WR and will be an improvement over Edwards

Nightmares? I don't remember when he was drafted, so I went back to 2004 for his stats vs the Pats.

2004 Week 6: P. Burress 3rec 63 yards 2TD's
2004 AFCCG: P. Burress 3rec 37 yards 1TD
2007 SB: P. Burress 2rec 27 yards 1TD

Hardly numbers to be worried about. If we had Al Harris as a starting DB I'd be more concerned.

2007 NFCCG: P. Burress 11rec 154 yards 0TD

We've known for a long time, the Jets buy the sizzle and not the steak under Ryan. Only this time, they are going to suffer the consequences of bad signings, under the salary cap.

Most of the core players on that team were drafted by Mangini.

Jets are trying to copy the Pats with the 2TE sets lol....;)
Their fanbase is convinced every move NE makes is because of what the Jets are doing.

Great, now we get to see the SB42 TD catch when they play this year...

No doubt CBS will play it over and over and over...:bricks:

Hey ya'll - big Pats fan here, first time posting.

I think Plaxico has upside potential, but realistically he will be average until he gets his football legs back. He might have spent a decent amount of time avoiding the opposition in prison, but CB's in the NFL > prison inmates.

Although, I saw The Longest Yard one time and can say with some level of confidence that he may be ready to play today. :confused2:

WOW! a HUGE sigh of relief for me. Malcolm Floyd, Randy Moss, James Jones, Braylon Edwards, etc were all better options IMHO.

While I DO believe that Burress now "gets it", is in tip top shape, and will make a tremendous effort to excel; he was NEVER a speed guy. His greatest asset his his length and his ability to go after the ball. But here would be MY concern about him. The NFL is now much more aware of offensive receivers pushing off than they were back in 2007. It was by far his best move. So even if you can assume he comes back EXACTLY where we was back in 2008, the way the game is called these days will make him somewhat less effective.

OTOH Todd Heap WOULD be an excellent pick up. Hopefully he'll go back to the Ravens as expected

best part about this rapid fire offseason is after every signing, the rival team's board has a 14 page diatribe on how terrible the signing is for the other team. now I know what congress must feel like...

I think Pats fans are just pissed because we all know the last important catch Plax made.....

If we had Plax fans here would have been very excited to have him here and hope he can succeed after a long time away from the game....Plax could very well have a better season than Ocho.

It all depends on his training regimen and getting back into shape and conditioning.

The man has a boatload of talent and 34 years of age is not a big factor,he can still produce.

I think he will be dangerous inside of the 20 as He has always been before,2 years away does not guarantee that will not reoccur.

I may of the minority,but Rex picked up a WR that will help them.

Nightmares? I don't remember when he was drafted, so I went back to 2004 for his stats vs the Pats.

2004 Week 6: P. Burress 3rec 63 yards 2TD's
2004 AFCCG: P. Burress 3rec 37 yards 1TD
2007 SB: P. Burress 2rec 27 yards 1TD

Hardly numbers to be worried about. If we had Al Harris as a starting DB I'd be more concerned.

2007 NFCCG: P. Burress 11rec 154 yards 0TD

The one thing you miss in your assessment is the fact that the guy scores TDs, at least one in every game the Pats played him. He will be a very good red zone option, but the question is, how much better than Edwards....and minus the speed.

I think Pats fans are just pissed because we all know the last important catch Plax made.....

If we had Plax fans here would have been very excited to have him here and hope he can succeed after a long time away from the game....Plax could very well have a better season than Ocho.

It all depends on his training regimen and getting back into shape and conditioning.

The man has a boatload of talent and 34 years of age is not a big factor,he can still produce.

I think he will be dangerous inside of the 20 as He has always been before,2 years away does not guarantee that will not reoccur.

Being 34 and missing 2 1/3 years of football is a big factor. If he was 34 and had been playing football all along, then no his age isn't as huge of a factor. Vick was 28-29 when he got out of jail and it took him a year to get back into football shape. How will a 34 year man respond after a two year layoff? Besides, in 2008, Plaxico looked slower and was less productive.

I personally don't think he will be very product at least until midseason. The hardest thing to get reaclimatated to is the physicalness of the game and that is where Plaxico excelled. Running the routes won't be the tough spot for him to get used to again. It will be fighting the defender off the line and for the ball. And we saw with Moss, that is something that age itself eats away at your ability.

Of the Jets current options (Edwards, Floyd, James Jones, or Moss), I think Plax was the worse other than Moss.

I disagree not so much your opinion that he can still be an effective receiver, but your comment that Pats fans would have been thrilled to have him here. I know I wouldn't have been. Outside of his length, he brings nothing to the table that we don't already have. He is a tall slow possession receiver who has some value in the red zone. And that's IF comes back at his pre-incarceration, 31 year old condition.

I don't think too many of us would have welcomed that prospect, especially if you thought it was going to cost you $3MM off the cap.

WOW! a HUGE sigh of relief for me. Malcolm Floyd, Randy Moss, James Jones, Braylon Edwards, etc were all better options IMHO.

While I DO believe that Burress now "gets it", is in tip top shape, and will make a tremendous effort to excel; he was NEVER a speed guy. His greatest asset his his length and his ability to go after the ball. But here would be MY concern about him. The NFL is now much more aware of offensive receivers pushing off than they were back in 2007. It was by far his best move. So even if you can assume he comes back EXACTLY where we was back in 2008, the way the game is called these days will make him somewhat less effective.

OTOH Todd Heap WOULD be an excellent pick up. Hopefully he'll go back to the Ravens as expected

The good news about Heap is that he would be the #1 TE in Baltimore and share the spotlight with Keller in NY. Heap might want to be THE GUY.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This would also seem to elimitate the JETS from Randy's short list...

And that's a good thing. Yes, Moss is a shell of himself but he's way more talented than Plaxico Burress when he actually tries.

I disagree not so much your opinion that he can still be an effective receiver, but your comment that Pats fans would have been thrilled to have him here. I know I wouldn't have been. Outside of his length, he brings nothing to the table that we don't already have. He is a tall slow possession receiver who has some value in the red zone. And that's IF comes back at his pre-incarceration, 31 year old condition.

I don't think too many of us would have welcomed that prospect, especially if you thought it was going to cost you $3MM off the cap.

We got the much better player in Ochocinco. Jets are showing a little desperation with trying otu Plaxico. He could be a good possession receiver for them but Ochocinco is so much better in most other WR skill areas like route running, creating separation, and reading the defense. PLUS Ochcho hasn't been to Prison! ^_^

Last edited:
An aging receiver who hasn't put on pads in over two years and who will have the tabloids all over him PLUS three million of cap room gobbled up!

When you consider they could have kept Edwards, I'm feeling it's a little like Christmas in July this morning.

Now Heap would be a nice addition for them although Marty Ball doesn't usually feature the two TE set too much. I don't know if Schotty Jr. is good enough to revise the offense his dad gave him to utilize both Heap and Keller at the same time. Only time will tell. But if they sign Heap and Schotty can revise the gamebook on the fly, Heap would be a great addition for them.

Thats why the jets brought in Tom Moore no?

HAHAH

I love this!

Braylon >>> Plax. Last year I was hoping Braylon would be the dropsie WR, but he was very solid for them. Braylon is WAY more scary as a receiver than Plax is. If I was going to sign a one trick pony aging reciver it would be Moss. At least moss has value in the red zone as well as the rest of the field.

The JEST are ****ting themselves right now. I love it.

Last edited:
Jets downgraded at WR...great move

And to add to it the Jets are about to overpay for Cromatire and it could be by a lot..love it

Cromartie is not that physical and gets beat a good amount. Much worse than if the Jets got Aso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes