PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets sign Donald Strickland after losing Nhamdi Asomugha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing surprising there. ;)

Typical of your recent responses, patronizing, smarmy and completely empty of any substance. The old DI, whose input I once respected, would have at least tried to defend his opinion. He would have TRIED to explain how the impact adding Aso would upgrade the other CB position to the point that having ALL those other holes wouldn't matter. Granted its a totally indefensible position, but at least the OLD DI would have tried.

Instead we get, what has become his SOP. A gratuitous smirk, a smarmy reply, and then........NOTHING.

The Jets will be a better team with Strickland plus all the holes they will fill with the Aso money than with Aso.
Of course with Aso and all those holes they were going to really suck, so how much better is the question.

I'm not sold on this. From what I have heard is that the Jets were going to gamble on 2014 having a cap explosion to sign Asomugha. Like Holmes, his 2011 cap was going to be fairly small maybe lile $4-6 million. The problem now is that when you do that, you cannot just use that money to get multiple players because no matter how much you backload a contract there is only so low you can get it the first year.

This is why the Jets have already told Braylon Edwards and Brodney Pool that they are going a different direction because both will ask more than the Jets can afford. Also, they are over a barrell with Cromartie and will have to give him at least 2/3s of what Asomugha got or more.

Typical of your recent responses, patronizing, smarmy and completely empty of any substance. The old DI, whose input I once respected, would have at least tried to defend his opinion. He would have TRIED to explain how the impact adding Aso would upgrade the other CB position to the point that having ALL those other holes wouldn't matter. Granted its a totally indefensible position, but at least the OLD DI would have tried.

Instead we get, what has become his SOP. A gratuitous smirk, a smarmy reply, and then........NOTHING.

Actually, it was a friendly way to avoid getting into it with you over something that doesn't matter anymore, since we've done little but disagree lately. However, since you've decided to continue with the crap in your follow up, as is typical of your recent responses, I'll remember that in the future.

The Jets were borderline SB contender last year, going 11-5 and reaching the AFCCG, and they've lost nothing significant beyond Edwards, unless you're going to overrate Ellis and Woody.

Same running backs
Same QB
4 of 5 on the O-line are the same (Slauson was a starter LAST YEAR)
Same TE
1 new WR

huge upgrade of defensive secondary w/Nnamdi
same LBs
Unknown situation at D-line, but certainly not guaranteed to be significantly worse, and the team devoted multiple draft picks to the positions there.

You can play the wishful thinking game all you want, about "maybe not as good", but that's true of every team, at every position, and any team relying upon Albert Haynesworth has no call for playing the worst case scenario game with its rivals. Nnamdi would have made them Super Bowl contenders, once again held hostage to Sanchez.

Now, I'm done discussing this with you, and I consider the deference and extra respect that I've generally given you to be no longer required.

Actually, it was a friendly way to avoid getting into it with you over something that doesn't matter anymore, since we've done little but disagree lately. However, since you've decided to continue with the crap in your follow up, as is typical of your recent responses, I'll remember that in the future.

The Jets were borderline SB contender last year, going 11-5 and reaching the AFCCG, and they've lost nothing significant beyond Edwards, unless you're going to overrate Ellis and Woody.

Same running backs
Same QB
Same TE
1 new WR

same LBs
Unknown situation at D-line, but certainly not guaranteed to be significantly worse, and the team devoted multiple draft picks to the positions there.

You can play the wishful thinking game all you want, about "maybe not as good", but that's true of every team, at every position, and any team relying upon Albert Haynesworth has no call for playing the worst case scenario game with its rivals. Nnamdi would have made them Super Bowl contenders, once again held hostage to Sanchez.

Now, I'm done discussing this with you, and I consider the deference and extra respect that I've generally given you to be no longer required.

Lost nothing huh? Their #2 CB, #2WR, and #3/4 WR (who was also their best special teams player and a play-maker from the wildcat. Their BEST DL, unless you want to underrate Ellis immensely. They have 1 NFL caliber safety on the roster and as much as people want to crap on our safeties we probably have 3 that I'd take before Leonhard.

As for their draft picks, if you think Solder is raw then what is Wilkerson? Solder would dominate that kid every day and twice on Sundays (which would work out nicely given the NFL scheduling practices).

Their other DL, if he manages to avoid jail time, is supposedly dumb as box of hammers (or Ray Ray for those who visit JI at all).

They have been lucky as hell regarding injuries considering their crap depth which has gotten even crappier.

Oh, and their QB sucks, 1 good playoff game or not.

As far as the subject of the thread, Donald Strickland is good... for me to poop on!

Oh and I forgot that their ***** RB declined as the season progressed as happens to most aging RB's. I expect next season to look more like the 2nd half LT than the 1st.

Can you name one young player on the Jets that could be on the verge of breaking out? I'm talking about a guy who is going to improve and be addition by staying-pat. A 2nd or 3rd year player who can really step up and help the team.

They've wasted draft picks by trading up and trading for vets and now they are left with a team of zero depth. They have a ton of work to do just to get back to being as good as last year and there's not one single player who can change that, including Nmadi.

(Although I would be pissed if they got Osi because he's a beast and I want him here!).

Same running backs
Same QB
Same TE
1 new WR

same LBs

The Jets have lost a lot of pieces. Jason Taylor was a decent back up. Brodney Pool was arguably their best safety after Jim Lenhard went down. Braylon Edwards was their leading receiver in yards (although Santonio Holmes probably would have had more if he played all 16 games). They lost their fullback. They lost depth at a number of positions. They had 18 free agents not including the players they cut before the lockout. Tomlinson is another year older and they are supposably giving Shonn Greene the primary RB role which he has yet to show he can handle on a full time basis. They lost their Pro Bowl kick returner and Wildcat QB in Brad Smith (Smith doesn't have great stats outside of kick return, but he did make a lot of key plays over the season).

Even with Asomugha, the Jets are significantly worse in a lot of areas right now. They might have filled these holes, but they would be hamstrung salary cap wise. The question is whether they are still hamstrung even without Asomugha.

No that is reserved for the perrenial inseason Chumps. The Jets window of opportunity has slammed shut. Bye Bye Jenkins, Taylor, Ellis, Woody, Cromartie, Edwards...

You can't make chicken salad from chicken feathers. Buh Bye Rex... Hello 7-9.

The Jets have lost a lot of pieces. Jason Taylor was a decent back up. Brodney Pool was arguably their best safety after Jim Lenhard went down. Braylon Edwards was their leading receiver in yards (although Santonio Holmes probably would have had more if he played all 16 games). They lost their fullback. They lost depth at a number of positions. They had 18 free agents not including the players they cut before the lockout. Tomlinson is another year older and they are supposably giving Shonn Greene the primary RB role which he has yet to show he can handle on a full time basis. They lost their Pro Bowl kick returner and Wildcat QB in Brad Smith (Smith doesn't have great stats outside of kick return, but he did make a lot of key plays over the season).

Even with Asomugha, the Jets are significantly worse in a lot of areas right now. They might have filled these holes, but they would be hamstrung salary cap wise. The question is whether they are still hamstrung even without Asomugha.

The way I look at the Jets is this.....

We really have nothing to knock the Jets since Ryan took over....yeah they backed into the playoffs 2 years ago and yeah we won the division since Ryan was appointed HC but the bottom line is we could say this and that but the Jets have gone farther than the Pats in the playoffs 2 years in a row when it's Ryan vs. Belichick....and until we get that monkey off our backs and head deeper into the playoffs than they have been then we really haven't a leg to stand on.

Will it be this year?...hopefully

To say the Jets have downgraded means we SHOULD get that monkey off but no one knows which team is overall better equipped to go the distance.

It will be a 15 round boxing match this season between these two teams with the Dolphins and Bills probably not as bad as they were....going to be a fun season!

Very quiet saturday.Not many moves maded.Edwards and Cromartie are still out there.Donovan McNabb should be asking management, who will i throw the ball to?

Jets never had the chance, we drafted first, obviously we made the right choice too. :)

Thank GOD our FO is the best

could u imagine McCourty lining up on other side w. Revis:eek:

Very quiet saturday.Not many moves maded.Edwards and Cromartie are still out there.Donovan McNabb should be asking management, who will i throw the ball to?

can jets afford Cromartie?

I dont know.I do know that they wont be bringing back Edwards.They have to sign another wr.That wr might be Randy Moss.I dont know if they will trade for Samuels since he doesnt play press coverage.

I dont know.I do know that they wont be bringing back Edwards.They have to sign another wr.That wr might be Randy Moss.I dont know if they will trade for Samuels since he doesnt play press coverage.

Plaxico is in the mix. Our DB's are capable of covering this criminal:) Go shoot ur self in the leg again in a nightclub

Last edited:
Looks like Strickland could be back as the #2 corner there...cut by the Chargers Thursday and Jets took him back aboard where he played for NY in 09

LOL that's a huge drop off from Asomugha...Strickland isn't good enough to carry Nhamdi's bags to the Airport.

Brady will be throwing to Branch all day in Don's direction.

This is assuming Cromartie is leaving town.

Well they never had Nnamdhi in the first place so it's a dropoff from Cromartie then is what I think you're saying.

I wouldn't sleep on the jets.

Oh and I forgot that their ***** RB declined as the season progressed as happens to most aging RB's. I expect next season to look more like the 2nd half LT than the 1st.

Can you name one young player on the Jets that could be on the verge of breaking out? I'm talking about a guy who is going to improve and be addition by staying-pat. A 2nd or 3rd year player who can really step up and help the team.

They've wasted draft picks by trading up and trading for vets and now they are left with a team of zero depth. They have a ton of work to do just to get back to being as good as last year and there's not one single player who can change that, including Nmadi.

(Although I would be pissed if they got Osi because he's a beast and I want him here!).

==========================================

Mark Sanchez for the win!

Well they never had Nnamdhi in the first place so it's a dropoff from Cromartie then is what I think you're saying.

No,it's more like someone who goes out to try and purchase a Lexus but does not have enough money and comes home with a Kia.:cool:

Edwards won't go back and Cromartie will want top $$ from then now for making him wait after Nnamdi...Nnamdi not going to the jets was the best thing. Their GM is running around like a chicken with his head cut off now. Can guarantee he was 100% sure he was getting Nnamdi...oops

Last edited:
Thank GOD our FO is the best

could u imagine McCourty lining up on other side w. Revis:eek:

Who knows if McCourty would be any good on the Jets.

The Pats are much better at developing Rookies to their full potential than the Jets coaches are.

The Jets work well together with VETERANS....not so much with rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back