PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets sign Donald Strickland after losing Nhamdi Asomugha

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite part of this whole circus has been contemplating how if the Jets had spent last year's #1 pick on somebody like Devin McCourty instead of Kyle Wilson, they wouldn't have had to go through it at all. :)

Jets never had the chance, we drafted first, obviously we made the right choice too. :)

They cannot afford insurance policies. They have no depth all over the field.

Your right, regardless of what Felger says, the Jets are top heavy and thin at backups, thats how they pay all these guys. I think thats poor cap management but Im biased to the way the Patriots do it having more depth.

Say what you will about Strickland, he's actually pretty good covering as the nickel. Problem with him: Hurt a lot.

They will likely pick someone else up to be the #2. There's no way they expose Wilson as a starter. It's funny how they really have no faith in Wilson.

Jenkins and a couple others aside the Jets IR list has been much smaller that the Patriots' for the last couple of years. Perhaps the law of averages will catch up to them this year and lack of depth will plumet their season.

Oh wait, I forgot. The Commissioner will grant them an exemption. :)

Nnamdi would have made the Jets legitimate Super Bowl contenders, and maybe even favorites. Now, having missed out on him, they're just another team scrambling to find players.

Wilson sucked in the slot position.....he was an outside cb in college, no?

Jets keep getting worse...

Gotta love it....

My understanding coming out of that draft was that Wilson's skillset projected as an elite nickel back- basically, he was ideal to cover slot guys, whereas McCourty was far better-suited to play ouside.

Nnamdi would have made the Jets legitimate Super Bowl contenders, and maybe even favorites. Now, having missed out on him, they're just another team scrambling to find players.

That best case scenario assumes that they got acceptable JAGs to fill the position voids and had another low IR season. Depth is a real issue.

That best case scenario assumes that they got acceptable JAGs to fill the position voids and had another low IR season. Depth is a real issue.

It's an even bigger issue at their QB position. I don't want to see us playing w/o Brady, but if it happened, Hoyer and a big O-line plus a solid running game and TE packages could keep us in contention.

The Jets? They released Marc Brunell & Kevin O'Connell yesterday. As of now, IIRC, Sanchez is the ONLY QB on their roster.

NB: After further research, they have a 7th round rookie named Greg McElroy and another named Drew Willy who came via the Ravens, Colts and the Las Vegas Locomotives, in that order.

Last edited:
It's an even bigger issue at their QB position. I don't want to see us playing w/o Brady, but if it happened, Hoyer and a big O-line plus a solid running game and TE packages could keep us in contention.

The Jets? They released Marc Brunell & Kevin O'Connell yesterday. As if now, IIRC, Sanchez is the ONLY QB on their roster.

Brunnell is expected back, from what I've read.

Last edited:
Brunnell is expected back, from what I've read.

He'll probably resign with them, but there are other teams who could also use an experienced QB as back-up. He might have some leverage to get a pay increase out of this.

The Jets will be a better team with Strickland plus all the holes they will fill with the Aso money than with Aso.
Of course with Aso and all those holes they were going to really suck, so how much better is the question.

I kinda wanted them to sign Aso then watch everybody have 400 rushing yards and five rushing TDs.:D

The Jets will be a better team with Strickland plus all the holes they will fill with the Aso money than with Aso.
Of course with Aso and all those holes they were going to really suck, so how much better is the question.

Great post.....I'm in awe that you legally got Aso...holes...suck,into one sentence about the jets*.:enranged:

Couldn't disagree more, DI. The more I think on it the Jets would have been totally hamstrung if they have signed Aso. Felger couldn't be more wrong. The only way the Jets could have been active in the FA market was that they lucked out with the dead money rules for this year. All the restructuring they did to get enough room to sign him THIS year will eventually come back to haunt them because NONE of those guys who restructured too a cent less. Generally when you restructure you are just moving the pain back at bit.

As it is, they haven't got a lot of room to deal with. Rumors have them around 10MM under even with all the manipulation (about were the Pats are from what I hear). They STILL have to sign their rookies (that will be around 4-5) and they have holes all over the field at S, LB, OT, and WR. If they had signed Nnamdi ALL those holes would have remained or filled by minimum wage guys. Now they will have the cap space to fill a FEW, but not all of those holes

The Jets ARE an AFCE contender. They will be a formidable opponent. However on the field the will have LESS talent this season than they did last. IMHO the only way that the Jets become a superbowl contender is if they remain extraordinarily healthy AND Sanchez can take it to the next level as a QB.

BTW- And its going to get harder for him. that GREAT OL that Jets have had the last few years has taken a step back.

Mangold. Moore and D'Brick will still excell, but the will be weaker at LG. (Slauson is the Jets version of Dan Connolly - adequate but someone you will always try to upgrade) and at RT where the Jets gave the guy who replaced Woody after he went down over $3MM/year to play RT. I can't even remember his name. But what it DOES tell you about what the Jets think about Vladd, the 2nd round pick who cannot get on the field

The Jets offense has relied on a great OL, a strong running game and very good WRs and good receiving TE to smooth Sanchez's path. This season, his WRs might not be as good. His OL might not be as good. His running game might not be as good. So if Sanchez DOESN'T become a QB who can carry an offense, the Jets will NOT be as good.

And while it might be true that the Pats OL might not be as strong either (at least at the start of the season) The Pats have the QB who CAN carry a team's offense. ESPECIALLY when it looks like the WRs will be better, the TEs will be better and the RBs will be more talented. Brady is in much better shape to overcome what MIGHT be a step back on the OL

The jets have prob had the most dissapointing offseason of anyone in the league so far. Not only did they not get the big fish, the Pats and Phins are getting players. Now they are not bringing Edwards back. The team could be in trouble.

Couldnt disagree more. Look at the Jets roster. They need quantity much more than 1 star player.

I kinda wanted them to sign Aso then watch everybody have 400 rushing yards and five rushing TDs.:D
Its not so much that, but they would have created a team with 2 great corners, a so-so OL and nothing else. They would have been very good at covering outside receivers, and mediocre or worse at everything else. The Eagles actually saved them from themselves and they have the opportunity to build a complete team, or something closer to that now.

The jets have prob had the most dissapointing offseason of anyone in the league so far. Not only did they not get the big fish, the Pats and Phins are getting players. Now they are not bringing Edwards back. The team could be in trouble.

IMO it's mostly disappointing in relation to the wild expectations they themselves created by so publicly courting Aso. Overall, they projected to be way over the cap, caught a break, and signed their #1 FA priority in Holmes. And to my eyes, at least, their draft class looks promising (whereas last year they managed to lay a whopping egg in one of the richest draft classes ever).

The Miami Heat...err...The Phiadelphia Eagles just signed Cullen Jenkins......on another note...the jets* messageboard just exploded:singing:

I don't know how we are going to pass on them..oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back