Jets sign CB Andre Woolfolk, release OT Anthony Clement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

JETS CONTINUE MAKING TRANSACTIONS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2008, 4:11 p.m.

The New York Jets have announced that they have signed cornerback Andre Woolfolk, and that they have cut starting right tackle Anthony Clement.

Clement was signed by the Jets in 2006, and he started 32 regular-season games and one postseason game in New York. He likely will be replaced by free-agent acquisition Damien Woody.

Woolfolk was a first-round pick of the Titans in 2003, but was out of football in 2007.

Meanwhile, the free-agent splurge that resulted in the payment of more than $67 million in guaranteed money on contracts with a maximum value of $137.75 million is raising eyebrows around the league, especially since it's a dramatic departure from G.M. Mike Tannenbaum's professed approach to building a team.

Said Tannenbaum in February 2007: "Our core philosophy is to build the team through the draft and develop our own players, building the team as much as we can from inside."

As to the practice of signing free agents to big-money deals, Tannenbaum said, "There are consequences."

It's possible, in our view, that Tannenbaum opted to change his approach after watching the Patriots get so much better after making a big splash in free agency last year. Regardless, the Jets' seemingly desperate attempt to acquire veteran players doesn't fit with the philosophy, and we wonder whether the change resulted from a fear that an underachieving team could trigger the ultimate consequences for Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini -- termination of employment.

Re: More Jet Moves

The Patriots got so much better?

Let's see, we went from giving up a last minute TD against the best team to...

giving up a last minute TD against the best team.

Hmmmm, no improvement.

I absolutely agree with the last paragraph, they're in panic mode. If they spend all this coin, and it's for naught, they're gone. It couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase and team. They can't hit the skids fast enough for my taste.

Maybe, it's time you change that sig. Seau has no ring.

Maybe, it's time you change that sig. Seau has no ring.

When I grabbed this sig, it was I believe the week before we played SD, and Seau didn't have his ring. The point of my sig is that this particular charger fan turned his back on Seau, that he had lost his relevance to SD. I myself, find Seau very relevant to New England and to the Patriots. Hence the sig. It will stay until he either retires from the Pats, or gets his ring with us.

Did they release Anthony Clement because they signed Woody or because they plan on taking a OT in the draft?

we can interest clement on the right?

They just want anything that sounds like a Pats player at this point:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes