PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets seek permission to talk to Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was nice to dream :(

Favre to Jets is ``absolutely dead''
by Dave Hutchinson
Saturday July 26, 2008, 1:32 PM
Brett Favre to the Jets? Fuhgeddaboudit.

According to someone with knowledge of the talks between the Jets, Packers and Favre's representatives, all chances of a deal between the Packers and Jets are ``absolutely dead.''

In fact, the person said chances of a deal were really remote in the first place but the Jets had to do their due diligence.

That person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized by the Jets, Packers or Favre to speak on their behalf, said that the Jets feel the only reason the issue came up is because the Packers and the Favre Camp are trying to drum up interest for the 38-year-old quarterback and they leaked the information to the media.

That makes sense because while Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum refused to confirm or deny if the Jets seeked and received permission to speak with Favre, quarterback Chad Pennington said on Friday that Tannenbaum told him the Packers called the Jets.

Now, with the Favre out of the picture, the Jets will go into the season with either Pennington or Kellen Clemens as their starting quarterback.

Back to third place....

ouch, I think it would have hurt more if you said back to Chad Pennington. Kellen Clemens must be the worst QB in the NFL if he cant beat out this man. Guess who won day 3 of camp so far?

ouch, I think it would have hurt more if you said back to Chad Pennington. Kellen Clemens must be the worst QB in the NFL if he cant beat out this man. Guess who won day 3 of camp so far?

Just kidding - you know I like Chad Pennington and I heard he has said his arm is stronger than it has been in a long time.

Love your LB's as well by the way.

I still don't think this thing is dead yet. The Jets just opened up a roster spot by letting Woodhead go.

I still don't think this thing is dead yet. The Jets just opened up a roster spot by letting Woodhead go.

======================================================

True, but what else are they suppose to do with an UDFA with a blown up knee.

now watch the Packers scramble to try and unload GrayBeard for a #7 in 2010.

Last edited:
After the "thing" last season I said I wanted every team to give us the best shot they can. The best players on the field. Uninjured. No excuses for teams that we beat. If they beat us, so be it.

It would have been great to have Farve play against us twice a year.

After the "thing" last season I said I wanted every team to give us the best shot they can. The best players on the field. Uninjured. No excuses for teams that we beat.

Being injured isn't an exuse. Staying healthy is just as much part of the game as running the right route is.

Being injured isn't an exuse. Staying healthy is just as much part of the game as running the right route is.

That's just a ridiculously silly statement.

Injuries are a part of the game. You don't want them, then get less injury prone players. I agree that they shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Injuries are a part of the game. You don't want them, then get less injury prone players. I agree that they shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Again, this is just a ridiculously silly statement. If Brady or Manning go down (Neither are "injury prone", but Joe Theisman's career ending leg injury was not a result of his being "injury prone" either), just for example, it's not going to matter how many other players get injured. The rest of the team could remain healthy for every minute of every remaining game and the respective teams would still not be getting to the Super Bowl barring miracles. And it's not as if those are the only 2 players in the league you could apply the logic to, either.

Just kidding - you know I like Chad Pennington and I heard he has said his arm is stronger than it has been in a long time.

Love your LB's as well by the way.
you dont understand. I have heard that exact same thing for the last 3 yrs.

after 06:

Pennington: My arm should be better, I have had two years to rehab from a torn rotator cuff, I also worked on my body mechanics to get more torque action

after 07:

Pennington: I rewatched filmed and saw my motion was using all arm and not my base. I have tweaked my mechanics

now:

Pennington: I worked with a coach to tweak my mechanics to improve arm strength.

Pennington is a great guy, I want my son to be like him but I dont want him to be my QB. Well at least we have Pace, Harris and Gholston right?

Last edited:
I predicted when the Jets drafted Clemens that he was not a quality NFL talent, due to his height and pocket presence, as well as less than ideal arm strength.

So far the results are mixed, though through my Patriot colored glasses I tend to believe my initial eval was correct.

This Favre talk indicates to me that the Jets are reaching the same conclusions. I also understand that Pennington remains favored to win the job. IMO that would be a good move for the jets. they should win 8-10 games if Pennington stays healthy.

However, the lack of faith in Clemens IMO should have precipitated a move up in the draft to snag Matt Ryan. That was the only possible offseason move by the Jets that would have struck fear in me. Their other moves were not franchise altering moves for the better, over the long term IMO. Without an elite Qb, a team has no soul. With Pennington, at least it has some heart.

I predicted when the Jets drafted Clemens that he was not a quality NFL talent, due to his height and pocket presence, as well as less than ideal arm strength.

So far the results are mixed, though through my Patriot colored glasses I tend to believe my initial eval was correct.

This Favre talk indicates to me that the Jets are reaching the same conclusions. I also understand that Pennington remains favored to win the job. IMO that would be a good move for the jets. they should win 8-10 games if Pennington stays healthy.

However, the lack of faith in Clemens IMO should have precipitated a move up in the draft to snag Matt Ryan. That was the only possible offseason move by the Jets that would have struck fear in me. Their other moves were not franchise altering moves for the better, over the long term IMO. Without an elite Qb, a team has no soul. With Pennington, at least it has some heart.
I agree on your Clemens evaluation except the arm strength, last years Steelers game he threw it 50 plus yards off his back foot. He's not Palmer, Brady or Manning level but he can let it fly, just check his college clips. Theres clips of him throwing 70 yards down field. To me taking two steps back to see what you have w/ Clemens is a lot better then a first round exit with Pennington, b/c you still have to find the QB who will take you where you want to go and you will never know if its Clemens if you sit him on the bench.

I also disagree that we made no franchise altering moves. If Vernon Gholston hits his potential, we are going to have a defense for the next 5 plus years featuring Revis, Rhodes, Harris, Pace, Gholston, and Jenkins

Last edited:
I agree on your Clemens evaluation except the arm strength, last years steelers game he threw it 50 plus yards of his back foot. To me taking two steps back to see what you have w/ Clemens is a lot better then a first round exit with Pennington.

I also disagree that we made no franchise altering moves. If Vernon Gholston hits his potential, we are going to have a defense for the next 5 plus years featuring Revis, Rhodes, Harris, Pace, Gholston, and Jenkins

When i say arm strength, i mean arm strength with accuracy. He can throw hard, but becomes very erratic when he does so.

As for Gholston, i believe Gholston will be a high quality player. The reason i don't see that as franchise altering, is that John Abraham and Jason Taylor are tremendous pass rushers and the fortunes of their teams were entirely dependent on Qb play. Right now, the long term Jet Qb situation is not promising. However...

I am maybe the nation's biggest Eric Ainge fan. he was my # 2 rated Qb, behind Ryan, and ahead of Flacco and O'Connel, my #3 and #4. My elation that the Pats had prevented the Jets from taking O'Connel was tempered by the Jets drafting of Ainge. He is among the biggest long-term sleepers in this draft, and has the potential to become a quality NFl starter.

My rationale is that his height, ball security, accuracy and game management are ideally suited to NFl play, and that those qualities will compensate for sub standard arm strength.

My hope is that the Jets fail to see this over the next two seasons, and Mangini will then be fired due to consistent mediocrity. Then, the team and system will have to be revamped for the new flavor of the month, keeping the franchise in perpetual purgatory.

When i say arm strength, i mean arm strength with accuracy. He can throw hard, but becomes very erratic when he does so.

As for Gholston, i believe Gholston will be a high quality player. The reason i don't see that as franchise altering, is that John Abraham and Jason Taylor are tremendous pass rushers and the fortunes of their teams were entirely dependent on Qb play. Right now, the long term Jet Qb situation is not promising. However...

I am maybe the nation's biggest Eric Ainge fan. he was my # 2 rated Qb, behind Ryan, and ahead of Flacco and O'Connel, my #3 and #4. My elation that the Pats had prevented the Jets from taking O'Connel was tempered by the Jets drafting of Ainge. He is among the biggest long-term sleepers in this draft, and has the potential to become a quality NFl starter.

My rationale is that his height, ball security, accuracy and game management are ideally suited to NFl play, and that those qualities will compensate for sub standard arm strength.

My hope is that the Jets fail to see this over the next two seasons, and Mangini will then be fired due to consistent mediocrity. Then, the team and system will have to be revamped for the new flavor of the month, keeping the franchise in perpetual purgatory.
wow I really was expecting a post where I could critique but I literally agreed with every single thing you had to say. I think Ainge can be a solid QB in this league as well. The things he did at Tennessee translate in the NFL.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like his upside is . . . Chad Pennington. :confused:

That said, I kinda wish Favre had joined Gang Green. All the Pats would have to do to guarantee a win is play Moss at deep safety. Favre would be so thrilled with the opportunity to throw to Moss, that the Pats would be guaranteed an easy 3-4 INTs a game. :rofl:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like his upside is . . . Chad Pennington. :confused:

That said, I kinda wish Favre had joined Gang Green. All the Pats would have to do to guarantee a win is play Moss at deep safety. Favre would be so thrilled with the opportunity to throw to Moss, that the Pats would be guaranteed an easy 3-4 INTs a game. :rofl:

and favre would complain the jets shouldve signed moss ..:D

I wish the gunslinger would have joined the Jets too. It would have been nice to see him shellshocked twice this season at the expense of our Defense. Would have given our secondary, LBs plus D-linemen lots of easy pick opportunities. The look on his face after he gets picked is even more priceless than that of Peyton.

l

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye