PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets seek permission to talk to Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right when everybody was asking how we'll replace all Asante Samuel's interceptions :cool:

this would be fantastic

1. Jets would need to give up a second round pick (or hopefully better --- a first)
2. Favre wouldn't put them over the top
3. They'd be spending a crapload at QB and would have a huge problem; since the demand for Pennington as a starter on the trade market with his salary cant be too high;
4. They'd screw up their future. If Favre starts for 2 or 3 years and Clemens sees no actions (plus its not like Favre would be mentoring Clemens); Clemens career then goes down the drain as its tough to be productive after spending half your career on the bench.

this would be fantastic

1. Jets would need to give up a second round pick (or hopefully better --- a first)
2. Favre wouldn't put them over the top
3. They'd be spending a crapload at QB and would have a huge problem; since the demand for Pennington as a starter on the trade market with his salary cant be too high;
4. They'd screw up their future. If Favre starts for 2 or 3 years and Clemens sees no actions (plus its not like Favre would be mentoring Clemens); Clemens career then goes down the drain as its tough to be productive after spending half your career on the bench.

1)Every report says the Packers asked but wont sniff a 1st, a 2nd is not so bad in my eyes b/c we have extra middle rounders in next years draft

2)No but he makes them a playoff team, and a team which could be dangerous in the playoffs if the pieces came together. 2 of the last 3 SB winners wild card teams, breaks happen in football ya never know

3)Pennington's getting 6 mil so if Favre's here one way or another he will be gone. I can now pretty much confirm they can afford Favre so why not do it? I could easily see a team like the Vikes take Pennington for a 6th rder

4)Clemens is not looking to be anything special, two days of camp he has been mediocre. If he cant beat out Chad Pennington then whats his future exactly? We could easily get favre for 2 years, draft a QB round 1 or 2 next yr and groom him for a year under Favre.

Last edited:
I just came over from looking around on Jets Insider.

They have a 790 item post drooling about signing Bret Favre. There is an occasional sane voice about one in 25 or so, suggesting that signing a 40 year old QB who doesn't already know the playbook borders on S-T-U-P-I-D.

That's what happens to a Fan base after 50 year of futility.:disagreement: :banned:

Im not sure why any of you would want to see a divison team get significantly better.

Well I'd like to see the Jets get better. In fact I'd like to see the entire AFCE get better and become the toughest division in the league. It's boring to have 6 autowins on the schedule. I'm also tired of Pats establishing rivalries outside of the division like the Chargers and the Colts. The NFCE is great and I always watch those games.

Bring it on! What makes the AFCE better makes the Pats better.

Well I'd like to see the Jets get better. In fact I'd like to see the entire AFCE get better and become the toughest division in the league. It's boring to have 6 autowins on the schedule. I'm also tired of Pats establishing rivalries outside of the division like the Chargers and the Colts. The NFCE is great and I always watch those games.

Bring it on! What makes the AFCE better makes the Pats better.

if winning is boring to you then sign me up.

if winning is boring to you then sign me up.

I remember being ecstatic about beating AFCE teams. Now it's expected. It's much more meaningful beating good teams than lousy ones.

BTW...you already did sign up here. ;)

I just came over from looking around on Jets Insider.

They have a 790 item post drooling about signing Bret Favre. There is an occasional sane voice about one in 25 or so, suggesting that signing a 40 year old QB who doesn't already know the playbook borders on S-T-U-P-I-D.

That's what happens to a Fan base after 50 year of futility.:disagreement: :banned:

I'm not really sure how you can say bringing a QB the likes of Brett Favre can be stupid. Sure, he's older, but the Jets (and most other teams) would kill to have a QB of his caliber. Remember, not everyone has a Brady or Manning in their back pocket. And what would be the alternative? Pennington? Its a no brainer, if its financially feasible. Nobody likes Favre's retirement crap, but he's a HOFer. Could make for some interesting games between you guys.

Aside from last year, when was the AFC East 6 autowins for the Patriots?

2)No but he makes them a playoff team, and a team which could be dangerous in the playoffs if the pieces came together. 2 of the last 3 SB winners wild card teams, breaks happen in football ya never know

He has 14 tds and 16 ints in the playoffs this decade and has single handedly thrown away 4 playoff games - Giants this past year, Vikings in 2005, Philly in 2004, and Rams in 2002.

I know the press loves him and most fans just take whatever they are spoonfed but how does probably the worst playoff QB of the decade make them potentially dangerous in the playoffs?

Please do.

An immobile, wild, or as they say gunslinging, QB behind the Jets porous offensive line will only equate to confidence for our secondary.

not to be a stickler, but didn't the Jets revamp their o-line?

in any case, I would rather not see Favre in Jets' green. I've been a fan of Favre and would be immidiately forced to hate him if he went to the Jets.

Me, I miss the "Tuna Wars" era and earlier rivalry with the Jets. (I go back to the Namath era) Despite their W a couple seasons ago, this divisional hatred needs fresh blood. What could be better than media darling "Lord Favre" playing for Gangreen? Knowing that the Jets pissed away significant cap space and pick(s) for the INT machine would make watching games all that much sweeter. As presently constituted, the Jets, though improved via the draft, are not serious wildcard playoff contenders.

1)Every report says the Packers asked but wont sniff a 1st, a 2nd is not so bad in my eyes b/c we have extra middle rounders in next years draft

3)Pennington's getting 6 mil so if Favre's here one way or another he will be gone. I can now pretty much confirm they can afford Favre so why not do it? I could easily see a team like the Vikes take Pennington for a 6th rder

4)Clemens is not looking to be anything special, two days of camp he has been mediocre. If he cant beat out Chad Pennington then whats his future exactly? We could easily get favre for 2 years, draft a QB round 1 or 2 next yr and groom him for a year under Favre.

1.) And everyone said that Parcells wouldn't get higher than a fourth rounder for Jason Taylor. How did that turn out?

2.) I don't think Favre makes the Jets a playoff team. I thought the Jets were capable for 6-9 wins this year. I don't know if Favre significantly improves that because I don't know if Favre's performance last year was a fluke or not and the true Favre is the Favre of 2005 and 2006. If the Jets get that Favre, he is only a minor upgrade to Clemmens and Pennington.

3.) Even with getting rid of Pennington's salary, the Jets cannot afford Favre unless Favre renegotiates. Favre's salary is double Pennington's.

4.) Are you really judging any player based on two days of training camp? Rich Gannon was a back up journeyman for ten years and you are already writing off Clemmens after 2 years and two training camp practices?

Aside from last year, when was the AFC East 6 autowins for the Patriots?

Yeah, that remark was over the top, but I'll stick to the gist of it and would like to see a stronger AFCE.

1.) And everyone said that Parcells wouldn't get higher than a fourth rounder for Jason Taylor. How did that turn out?

2.) I don't think Favre makes the Jets a playoff team. I thought the Jets were capable for 6-9 wins this year. I don't know if Favre significantly improves that because I don't know if Favre's performance last year was a fluke or not and the true Favre is the Favre of 2005 and 2006. If the Jets get that Favre, he is only a minor upgrade to Clemmens and Pennington.

3.) Even with getting rid of Pennington's salary, the Jets cannot afford Favre unless Favre renegotiates. Favre's salary is double Pennington's.

4.) Are you really judging any player based on two days of training camp? Rich Gannon was a back up journeyman for ten years and you are already writing off Clemmens after 2 years and two training camp practices?

1)So what thats one scenario, no one will give up a 1st for him.

2) I dont understand, you had us at 6-9 but adding Favre over Clemens or Pennington does not bump us in the 8-11 range? Everyone including myself says this team is a solid QB away from playoff contention, granted Favre had two rough years before 07 but adding Favre in no way is only a minor improvement. Pennington and Clemens both suck.

3)Favre makes 12 mil and the Packers would eat a cap hit if they tradedhim, we would not take the full 12 million on, also we could easily cut a player like David Barrett making 3.6 mil as well

4) No I am not, I have had almost a decade of Pennington, at this point he is a below average QB who is easy to gameplan against. He can beat crappy teams but can not a) beat teams with a good defense and b) can not lead a game tying or winning drive when trailing under 2 minutes. Clemens looked good at times last year but they were far between. I ask you, if Clemens cant beat out the QB described above, why would I not want Favre b/c of Kellen Clemens?

couple tidbits from this morning.

-Schefter saying the Pack are not looking for a first and Mort reporting Favre either wants his release or to start for GB, realistically neither of those two will happen

edit:

On the fan this morning Schefter said the Jets are the leading team b/c obviously it gets Favre out of the NFC and they have shown the most interest. He said the one huge hurdle is convincing favre to come to NY. HE said if they can accomplish that then they will get him for less then a first

Last edited:
I think I may crap my pants. Supposedly there is a rumor the Jets will have a major press conference at 5. Dan Leberfeld pretty much saying that a major news reporter was told to stay at Jets camp till 5 b/c he expects a major announcement. FFFFFFFFARRRRRVVVVEEEE PLEASE

I think I may crap my pants. Supposedly there is a rumor the Jets will have a major press conference at 5. Dan Leberfeld pretty much saying that a major news reporter was told to stay at Jets camp till 5 b/c he expects a major announcement. FFFFFFFFARRRRRVVVVEEEE PLEASE

While I do not want Favre to go to the Jets, it would make things more interesting in the division. For your sake, I hope you get him. For the sake of the Patriots, I hope you don't.

While I do not want Favre to go to the Jets, it would make things more interesting in the division. For your sake, I hope you get him. For the sake of the Patriots, I hope you don't.

OT: I have to say that its pretty darn nice posting on this forum. I never thought it would be so welcoming. You guys are all pretty classy.

You have every right to get excited - I want to see him as a Jet as well because I think it will just add excitement to a terrific long and storied rivalry.

Given the relatively easy schedules of the AFC east this year, this may help you to make the playoffs - I think it will come down to either NY or Buffalo and if one team can sweep the other, also if one team can somehow knock off NE this year (doubtful, even with Favre).

I say this in a sports way only (the idiots on both sides that get carried away with actual violence over this should be jailed):

NE hates Favre after SB XXXI,
Jets hate BB and NE and are insanely jealous of all our success.
NE hates the rat and one more bad year NY will as well.
NE hates the Jets (and all things New York/New Jersey).
Hell, even Brady hates the Jets.

Turning the rivalry up one more notch is great for the fans, cities and the NFL (even if the commissioner notsoGoodell should not be brokering deals to his favorite team and former employer- reeks of impropriety to me).

I think it would great fun - good luck later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye