PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets seek permission to talk to Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Jason Taylor did go for a 2nd and 6th round pick.

They want a first rounder because they know almost no one will give that up for a QB with 1-2 years left. Green Bay simply wants to end his career with him not playing for them or anyone else.

I really hope the Jets are dumb enough to do this though. It will completely throw off their development as a strong contender in the future.

Best case scenario for me is they go 8-8, 9-7 while just missing the playoffs, getting a mediocre draft pick and Mangini fired in the process.

His Majesty was annoying enough stuck in bumf*ck Wisconsin - I cringe at the thought of the NY media machine being accessible to Him.

Last edited:
Me either. But I guess it's the same thing as "Gholston sucks but we wanted him before the draft" and "we reaped praise on Asante last year but now that he's with the Eagles, he's useless and can't hit".

well Kontradiction you and a couple few are not in the loop but I have this thread bookmarked for if the Jets dont get Favre. If that happens I want everyone laughing in this thread to say good non move by the jets (even though I know that will never happen) except you of course:cool:

edit: For someone who has said he hates the Jets and finds it hard to say anything good about them you are maybe the most unbias poster whenever anything Jet related is brought up

Last edited:
Im not sure why any of you would want to see a divison team get significantly better.

I wouldn't want to see a division team get significantly better.

I don't see Brett Favre as the guy he was last year when the powers that be in Green Bay forced him to play their way and he was successful. He made it pretty clear in his retirement press confernece he hated playing that kind of football and I doubt wherever he goes he can be expected to play that way again.

I see him as the guy he was the 2 prior years. The just having fun gunslinger who threw more INTs than TDs and killed his team in big spots more often than almost any QB in the league. Giving up draft picks to put that Brett Favre in New York where the media will not bow down to him like they do in Green Bay will be a circus. It will end Mangini's head coaching career and set the Jets back years.

Last edited:
I'm sure Favre will just love New York.

Especially considering they have a worse offensive line, running back and wide receivers.

According to Si's rumor mill, Tampa Bay is the highest and most likely bidder for Lord Favre. That section, more than anything else on that ****e webpage, is rarely ever wrong. Let's remember they were one of the first sites to report Moss' interest in going to New England.

I wouldn't want to see a division team get significantly better.

I don't see Brett Favre as the guy he was last year when the powers that be in Green Bay forced him to play their way and he was successful. He made it pretty clear in his retirement press confernece he hated playing that kind of football and I doubt wherever he goes he can be expected to play that way again.

I see him as the guy he was the 2 prior years. The just having fun gunslinger who threw more INTs than TDs and killed his team in big spots more often than almost any QB in the league. Giving up draft picks to put that Brett Favre in New York where the media will not bow down to him like they do in Green Bay will be a circus. It will end Mangini's head coaching career and set the Jets back years.

fair enough. One thing I disagree though is that this sets the franchise back. I say that only b/c from early indications it looks like it may be Pennington in 08. Still too early to tell but if Pennington is the starter its pretty much the same set back as Favre but without the draft picks. My stance is that if Clemens cant beat out Chad frickin Pennington then its time to go looking for a new QB. Matthew Stafford or Brady Quinn anybody?

I'm sure Favre will just love New York.

Especially considering they have a worse offensive line, running back and wide receivers.

Jerricho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles are not exactly chopped liver either. IMO a healthy Coles plus Cotch is just as good as Jennings and Driver. However the production they get out of the 3rd WR and TE put the Pack over the top. IF a Dustin Keller were to come in and light it up it could easily close the gap.

Running Backs also. I dont see how Ryan Grant and whoever is really that much better then Jones and Washington.

o-line is unknown. Pack have the edge but several factors have yet to be seen to see how large the gap will be

Last edited:
michael smith is already saying no one will meet that price. I would give up a 3rd n 5th or a performance based 2nd.

Do you have the salary cap space for Favre? Isn't he supposed to get $12 million this year?

Do you have the salary cap space for Favre? Isn't he supposed to get $12 million this year?

I originally thought no but some did bring up that Pennington's 6 mil would not be here with Favre on board. Still im not 100 % sure, I would guess yes from the unofficial Jets cap pages I have seen.

Last edited:
Jerricho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles are not exactly chopped liver either. IMO a healthy Coles plus Cotch is just as good as Jennings and Driver. However the production they get out of the 3rd WR and TE put the Pack over the top. IF a Dustin Keller were to come in and light it up it could easily close the gap.

Running Backs also. I dont see how Ryan Grant and whoever is really that much better then Jones and Washington.

o-line is unknown. Pack have the edge but several factors have yet to be seen to see how large the gap will be

Oh hey, worse doesn't mean bad.

The Packers had a great offensive line, and a great set of receivers. The Jets have what looks to be a good offensive line, a pair of good receivers and a great receiver out of the backfield.

Oh hey, worse doesn't mean bad.

The Packers had a great offensive line, and a great set of receivers. The Jets have what looks to be a good offensive line, a pair of good receivers and a great receiver out of the backfield.

And a rat as a hc...

Boy this would be great! It takes so long for Pennington's interceptions to find their way into Patriots hands. Favre's interceptions are much quicker - the pace of the game will increase significantly!

ESPN is reporting right now the Packers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for Favre.

Come on Jets!
YEAH!!!!!! I would be ecstatic for two reasons. First, the Jets lose a first round pick. Second, maybe it's just me, but Brett Favre's best years a WY behind him. For 2 of hte last 3 years he sucked, and I'm wondering if the third years (last year) was more about him or the team around him.

I would be very happy to face the Favre-Jets twice a year.

fair enough. One thing I disagree though is that this sets the franchise back. I say that only b/c from early indications it looks like it may be Pennington in 08. Still too early to tell but if Pennington is the starter its pretty much the same set back as Favre but without the draft picks. My stance is that if Clemens cant beat out Chad frickin Pennington then its time to go looking for a new QB. Matthew Stafford or Brady Quinn anybody?

Favre isn't a 1 year guy. He has years left on his contract and has no intention of retiring - he never has. He wants to play on Sundays but do none of the other stuff. The Jets will get the whole package with him, the off-season drama, the skipping the offseason program, etc. That is why this sets them back years.

I can't speak to why Pennington would be favored at this point but historically in the NFL when you have a front office and head coach who think they might be fired if they don't go at least 8-8 they tend to play guys like Pennington or trade for guys like Favre in hopes to avoid a young QBs mistakes which will ensure mediocrity and job security.

Last edited:
Why does this smell of Godell all over it:mad:

This is bad ... real bad ...

Our DB's interceptions will go up and we will have to pay them more $$$.

I didn't read the thread so my bad if I missed a post about this but the last I heard was favre's planning to attend Packers camp on Sunday:confused:

Brett Favre to the Jets?? If he truly cares about his "legacy" then no offense but the last place he should go is there. Or better yet just give it up already.

Mangini will never be successful until he figures out a way to beat the Pats. The Jets will never go anywhere unless they accomplish that and going after Brett Favre isn't going to make that happen. Favre should just go somewhere where he has a least a shot, or just be a back-up/mentor to Brooks.

Brett Beckham.

Bret Favre to the Jets = = Joe Kapp to the Pats.

Been there, done that.:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye