PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets: Santonio Holmes possibly done for season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I thought Tanny was such a genius? :rolleyes:

:confused:

The Patriots were on the hook if Brady couldn't come back in 2009. I don't see your point.

I agree that the deal was bad, but this injury and having to pay him even if the injury carries into next season, isn't why.

I don't recall EVER seeing a team lose its two BEST players on both sides in back to back weeks.

Tough break,but karma is catching up with the circus that Ryan has developed there.

Looks like a 5-11 team now.

Mangold is their best player on offense. Also he doesn't quit on his team.

:confused:

The Patriots were on the hook if Brady couldn't come back in 2009. I don't see your point.

I agree that the deal was bad, but this injury and having to pay him even if the injury carries into next season, isn't why.

It was a bad deal because he's a quitting punk who the Steelers couldn't get out of town fast enough.

Last edited:
Mangold is their best player on offense. Also he doesn't quit on his team.

I guess you missed the 49ers on more than one occasion in the Jets backfield as quickly as the ball snapped.....even Mangold couldn't provide protection.

I guess you missed the 49ers on more than one occasion in the Jets backfield as quickly as the ball snapped.....even Mangold couldn't provide protection.

He's still the best center in the NFL. Even Mankins gets out matched every once in a while.

I like our guys but could you imagine Mangold next to Mankins?
D'Brick is overrated.

Last edited:
does it hurt less if you throw the ball to the other team when going down with an injury? Can't believe he couldn't hold on to the ball....dope

Rex Ryan calls Plaxico Burress by friday

Well, that's one dynamic playmaker that our secondary no longer needs to worry about. I can't say this troubles me much.

Last edited:
My sincerest hopes for a quick, full and complete recovery for Mr. Holmes.

I'm kind of on the fence so I'm going to wish him a slow recovery.

So, the team's on the hook if he can't play next year. Cut, not cut, whatever, he's got $7.5 million coming to him next season.

The Jets may be in serious cap trouble next year. If they were only a few players away, they would be fine. But they are going to have to blow things up and they are on the hook for Holmes' and Sanchez's salaries no matter what they do. They might have to trade someone like Harris to get cap room.

By my estimates (which are very raw), even cutting Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Eric Smith will only get them to about $10 million under the cap. They will probably have another $6-7 million of cap space to pass through from 2012. But they will need to replace starters at the following positions:

- Both Safeties
- Two LBs
- TE
- RB
- RG
- RT
- DE (should be on the roster with Coples)

And they will only have 32 players under contract. That is a lot of holes with only about $16 million of cap space.

The Jets may be in serious cap trouble next year. If they were only a few players away, they would be fine. But they are going to have to blow things up and they are on the hook for Holmes' and Sanchez's salaries no matter what they do. They might have to trade someone like Harris to get cap room.

By my estimates (which are very raw), even cutting Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Eric Smith will only get them to about $10 million under the cap. They will probably have another $6-7 million of cap space to pass through from 2012. But they will need to replace starters at the following positions:

- Both Safeties
- Two LBs
- TE
- RB
- RG
- RT
- DE (should be on the roster with Coples)

And they will only have 32 players under contract. That is a lot of holes with only about $16 million of cap space.

Moving/cutting Harris would result in $9 million in dead money. His base is $10.9. They'd be better off finding a way to get him to take a pretty drastic cut on an extension. In the "Jets suck" thread, I suggested a bad medicine approach for the team. Since they won't take it, we'll get to see them rotting for at least a couple of years.

It's not as if Barkley would be the answer even if they got the #1 this year.

Last edited:
I don't feel bad for players who get injuries who are making millions, sorry, I don't. I do feel for the troops who are away from their families for long periods of time for crappy pay and who get wounded, I do feel for them.

BTW, I wonder if the Jets will waste yet another roster spot on Holmes just in case they make it to the Super Bowl. I mean if there is a 0.0002% chance Revis could play in the Super Bowl, there might be a 0.00000002% chance Holmes could play too.

I mean only 51 players count towards the cap. So the Jets can go the season with a 51 man roster since they have an excellent shot at going to the Super Bowl. They would be foolish to IR both Holmes and Revis with the potential of them being back for the Super Bowl.

I don't feel bad for players who get injuries who are making millions, sorry, I don't. I do feel for the troops who are away from their families for long periods of time for crappy pay and who get wounded, I do feel for them.

The money is irrelevant, so take your class envy someplace more appropriate, please, like the political forum.

Moving/cutting Harris would result in $9 million in dead money. His base is $10.9. They'd be better off finding a way to get him to take a pretty drastic cut on an extension. In the "Jets suck" thread, I suggested a bad medicine approach for the team. Since they won't take it, we'll get to see them rotting for at least a couple of years.

It's not as if Barkley would be the answer even if they got the #1 this year.

Jason suggested that he expected the Jets to blow it up. Based on the rumors that Woody Johnson may start pushing for Tebow to play more, I don't think he has the stomach for a complete blow up. They will probably continue to extend the bad deals they have with Harris, Mangold, and others rather than do the smart thing and take their lumps for a year or two rather than being sub mediocre for far longer. The smart thing would be to blow it up at this point.

BTW, I wonder if the Jets will waste yet another roster spot on Holmes just in case they make it to the Super Bowl. I mean if there is a 0.0002% chance Revis could play in the Super Bowl, there might be a 0.00000002% chance Holmes could play too.

I mean only 51 players count towards the cap. So the Jets can go the season with a 51 man roster since they have an excellent shot at going to the Super Bowl. They would be foolish to IR both Holmes and Revis with the potential of them being back for the Super Bowl.

I don't think that will ever happen...........

I mean what are the chances that the team can purchase 51 tickets for the Super Bowl?....especially if they want all those seats with a good view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back