Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - COLES GETS CUT

COLES GETS CUT
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 5:08 p.m. EST

The Jets have parted ways with receiver Laveranues Coles, for the second time in his career.

Six years ago, the end came (temporarily) when Coles jumped to the Redskins as a restricted free agent. This time around, the Jets cut Coles loose despite owing him a guaranteed base salary of $6 million in 2009.

According to Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, Coles wanted a long-term deal. The Jets opted instead to give him a chance to find one elsewhere. If he doesn’t Coles could return.

ix9q8m.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Jets: Release WR Laverneus Coles

Wow didn't see that coming!

Jets are releasing their entire team, they clearly scked last year, i love it!!! :D

Would the Patriots be interested, probably too expensive, right?

Tampa will be his new home, mark it down.

Maybe Philly, but Tampa has plenty of money to throw around.

Last edited:

Why not Miami with Chad?

He would be a great addition to the Pats but he seems like he wants a lot of money. I say he ends up with the Dolphins because of Chad Pennington and Parcells.

In other NY news, Brandon Jacobs needs a new agent.

I have to imagine the Patriots will at least kick the tires. Coles is a great receiver and would be the positive threat opposite Moss that the team's been looking for.

I want to believe that Brett Favre screwed the Jets up. Does Mangini get fired if Pennington stays? Does Coles get cut if Pennington is the QB? Either way, I love it!

I do not want this guy on the Patriots. He's not good enough for all the talking he does and all the money issues. I'd take Chad Johnson instantly, because he brings elite talent with his problems. Coles act like he's elite.

I have to imagine the Patriots will at least kick the tires. Coles is a great receiver and would be the positive threat opposite Moss that the team's been looking for.

I'm pretty sure Welker is that guy. Defenses don't know how to stop the man...

I'm pretty sure Welker is that guy. Defenses don't know how to stop the man...

Welker's a slot guy, though. While he plays on the outside, he's not nearly as strong as he is in the slot. Coles is a massive upgrade over Gaffney and would make the passing offense unbelievably dangerous.

I do not want this guy on the Patriots. He's not good enough for all the talking he does and all the money issues. I'd take Chad Jackson instantly, because he brings elite talent with his problems. Coles act like he's elite.

Fixed that for you. ;)

If hes willing to take a discounted deal I wouldn't mine having him lineup opposite to Moss. Hes got a good attitude unless! you don't throw the ball softer than the machine (see favre for example). :)

he clearly would be a major upgrade over Gaffney... how's his toe, anyway? I seem to recall chronic issues with his toe that couldn't be healed...

Coles will be a Dolphin by noon tomorrow. Is there really any question of that?

My guess is that he will be a Dolphin by the end of the week. I can't believe he walked away from guaranteed money. I would have at least forced the Jets to give me half of the money to leave if I was him. I guess that the Dolphins may have tampered with Coles' agent at the combines and told him that they will compensate him enough to walk away.

he clearly would be a major upgrade over Gaffney... how's his toe, anyway? I seem to recall chronic issues with his toe that couldn't be healed...

==============================

The toe has been a non issue, although he is about 1 concusion away from having to hang it up.

My guess is that he will be a Dolphin by the end of the week. I can't believe he walked away from guaranteed money. I would have at least forced the Jets to give me half of the money to leave if I was him. I guess that the Dolphins may have tampered with Coles' agent at the combines and told him that they will compensate him enough to walk away.

===============================================

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes