PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets re-sign Cromartie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page would be a good pickup for the Jets. A larger safety added to their depleted corps. I'd hate to see it though. I think BB is waiting for Mankins and FA to near end with a more accurate reading on team cap before re-signing Page.

I don't think we're re-signing him imo. We just re-signed McGowan, and we already have Sanders, Meriweather, Chung, and Brown. It isn't impossible, but I'd judge to be unlikely at this point. And it's not like we're short on DB's for the nickel when considering our bounty of cb's.

#Jets Antonio Cromartie agreed to a four-year deal for $32 million, per source. #nyj

They had to overpay for Daddy Of The Year. The Jets have no pass rush so they need to max out their coverage.
I don't see where the Jets have improved themselves this off-season.

If Cromartie had left that would've put them in the market for Asante Samuel, who is better.

What do you guys think he's worth because 8 mill is pretty much spot on imo. Bodden was a HUGE bargain and I was surprised he didn't get 10 mill. But Cro-Mart is a pretty good corner and the way other guys have been payed I'm not really surprised he got 8 mill. He got burnt bad by Branch the first game but seemed to play really well in the playoffs. Can't really recall him getting lit up in the jets games I saw so if anyone has any stats would be interested to see them.

Last edited:
They had to overpay for Daddy Of The Year. The Jets have no pass rush so they need to max out their coverage.

they didn't... :rolleyes:

$8 mill a year for Cromartie?! Man, I really don't think he's that good. I don't get what the Jets are thinking there.

What I dont get is why jets fans think "Tanny" is so great..what has he done? Sign a few big names that end up NOT winning them a superbowl? Draft one of the biggest bust ever? Or how about trading up for a qb that sucks?

yea..good job.

Referring to Cromartie's success against both Moss and Tate last year, as well as his struggle with Branch.

I could have covered Moss last year.:rolleyes:

There wasn't a cornerback who got burned by Moss consistently all year long.

Twitter

Cro signs, Jets return nearly intact.

They lose Edwards, Jenkins, Woody, Taylor - and still need to resign Shaun Ellis. I'd hardly say at this point they return nearly intact.

They haven't. So far they have:

Kept Holmes - net even
Kept Cro - net even (at best. we've seen him tank in SD when he wasn't motivated)
Replaced Edwards with Plax - net minus
Lost Brad Smith - net minus
Lost Woody - net minus
Resigned Eric Smith safety - net meh
Resigned Hunter to replace Woody - net even
Lost Taylor - net minus
Lost Pool - net minus
Lost Coleman - net minus
Lost Ellis - net minus

Had a shallow draft highlighted by 2 DL that are so raw that they make our rookie LT look like a burger off of The Scrizz's grill (hockey-puck well done). Hard to call this a plus or minus until they play.

So to sum up. A bunch of minuses, a few evens, and ZERO pluses thus far.

To be fair, and I'm no Cromartie fan, but he was thrown at around 150 times last year and he was 5th in the league with a 43% completion rate against him.

Last edited:
To be fair, and I'm no Cromartie fan, but he was thrown at over 150 times last year and he was 5th in the league with a 43% completion rate against him.

Curios, where do you get that stat?

I used advancednflstats.com:

Advanced NFL Stats Player Statistics

And Cromartie had a success rate of 37.5%, which is pretty far down the list.

Asante leads the league in success rate, FWIW. Surprisingly, Revis is pretty far down the list, too - but I think it's clear last season was a bit of a down year for him coming off the injury.

Can't find Nnamdi on the list. Might be too small a sample size to qualify since he only got thrown on twice a game or whatever the heck it was.

Curios, where do you get that stat?

I used advancednflstats.com:

Advanced NFL Stats Player Statistics

And Cromartie had a success rate of 37.5%, which is pretty far down the list.

Asante leads the league in success rate, FWIW. Surprisingly, Revis is pretty far down the list, too - but I think it's clear last season was a bit of a down year for him coming off the injury.

Can't find Nnamdi on the list. Might be too small a sample size to qualify since he only got thrown on twice a game or whatever the heck it was.

Pat Kirwan stated it on Sirius on last week (Thursday?). I tried looking for it earlier but couldn't find an article to support it.

Just found this: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/01/cornering-the-steelers-jets-corners/

Last edited:
Pat Kirwan stated it on Sirius on last week (Thursday?). I tried looking for it earlier but couldn't find an article to support it.

Just found this: Cornering The Steelers Jets Corners | Steelers Depot

Thanks for the link. The site I referenced must do something different than completion % against to come up with success rate then.

Either way, Cromartie's a solid corner, but I just think $8 million is way too steep for him.

Thanks for the link. The site I referenced must do something different than completion % against to come up with success rate then.

Either way, Cromartie's a solid corner, but I just think $8 million is way too steep for him.

I don't disagree, especially when you get the feeling that he is the type of player to get paid and disappear. But the Jets backed themselves into a corner when Nmadi burned them. With Nmadi going to Philly and Joseph going to Houston it was the only choice they had. Wilson was horrendous last year and Coleman sucked as well, so it is hard to fault them for this, especially after they made a legitimate run at Nmadi and had the rug pulled out from under them by Philly.

Can't say I didn't smile when it happened though....:D

I don't disagree, especially when you get the feeling that he is the type of player to get paid and disappear. But the Jets backed themselves into a corner when Nmadi burned them. With Nmadi going to Philly and Joseph going to Houston it was the only choice they had. Wilson was horrendous last year and Coleman sucked as well, so it is hard to fault them for this, especially after they made a legitimate run at Nmadi and had the rug pulled out from under them by Philly.

Can't say I didn't smile when it happened though....:D

Same here. It was the Jets fall-back plan for sure. It's still a great pair of corners, but the risk associated with Cromartie is a sizable one.

As Patriots fans...we can only hope Holmes and Cromartie go out and do something really stupid and get themselves suspended....

wow that seems like a serious overpayment. They have to be done with adding players at this point.

They haven't. So far they have:

Kept Holmes - net even
Kept Cro - net even (at best. we've seen him tank in SD when he wasn't motivated)
Replaced Edwards with Plax - net minus
Lost Brad Smith - net minus
Lost Woody - net minus
Resigned Eric Smith safety - net meh
Resigned Hunter to replace Woody - net even
Lost Taylor - net minus
Lost Pool - net minus
Lost Coleman - net minus
Lost Ellis - net minus

Had a shallow draft highlighted by 2 DL that are so raw that they make our rookie LT look like a burger off of The Scrizz's grill (hockey-puck well done). Hard to call this a plus or minus until they play.

So to sum up. A bunch of minuses, a few evens, and ZERO pluses thus far.

Nice summary. I have never seen JI more delusional. Most of them truly believe they haven't lost a thing in the Edwards to Plax trade off. There are many who think they have upgraded. :rolleyes: Of course there are even those who think he's a better deep threat as well, even after they were told that Plax ran a 4.6 40 in 2000! You think he might have lost a step since then. They also dismiss the fact that he hasn't played since 2008.

Be prepared for Felger's lionization of the Jets FO. But he'll be wrong...again The fact is that the Jets have had to backload ALL these contracts and restructure contracts to the Max for this year.just so they can keep SOME of their FAs He also negates how lucky the Jets were to save the $10MM in dead money in the new CBA. Its not going to save them next time.

The only thing that's going to save the Jets even THIS season will be if Sanchez makes a quantum leap in his 3rd year, and they remain extraordinarily healthy. Because Next year they are gong to have get rid of Thomas, Scott AND Pace just to get back to even.
They ignore the fact that their DL is a potential disaster. They assume that BOTH their DL draft picks will be immediate impact players, despite the fact that at BEST they are talented athletes, but are extremely raw and will take a year or two to develop.

They ignore that the Jets 2 top picks in 2010 were EXTREME disappointments. Wilson was demoted from starting CB, to starting nickel back to sub package add on, over the course of the season, and Ducasse made the 45 man roster only for the last game of the season. THEN after they announce that they are moving him to RT to replace Woody, the Jets give a journeyman OT $13MM over 4 years (wayne Hunter) because they think so little of Ducasse. And no Jet fan will talk about the state of their Safeties.

No question that the Jets are still a tough team, but they aren't as talented as last season. They are all just hoping that Sanchez taking the next step will offset the step back in Talent.

Last edited:
Michael Lombardi is reporting that two sources have told him that the Jets are trying to trade Jerricho Cotchery. Who are they planning to play at WR? If Plaxico doesn't pan out, they don't have a WR on the roster who has had double digit catches in a season other than Holmes.

I think the Jets are desperate to make a big splash in free agency and clearing cap space to make news somehow.

Knowing the jets they are trying to add one more huge piece.Maybe they are trying to sign another wr, a Malcolm Floyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots