PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets QB Geno Smith fires agents because he wasn't drafted 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the perfect Jet :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. He's going to have to put in a lot of time to compete with Sanchez. How do you top a butt fumble? On second thought, nevermind, I don't want to know.

Welcome to Boys Town... I mean the jests.

Man this could be bad news for us he might be on his phone instead of listening to the terrible coaching staff down there. Might make him a better player!

I hope he keep up the tradition of eating hotdogs on the sideline

The question is whether the 2015 jets will be better because of the drafting of Geno. The 2013 jets are the very worst quality team in the league. It will take at least a couple of years before they are competitive under the current administration. As Miami showed, they MIGHT get better quicker if they fire the coach and FO.

They might have been better off with Barkley, they'll probably wind up drafting another qb next year with a deep qb class in the draft.

Agreed.......

They might have been better off with Barkley, they'll probably wind up drafting another qb next year with a deep qb class in the draft.

The blame game between the two parties continues publicly. Believe whichever side you wish to believe.

Why Did Geno Smith Really Fire His Agents? | Deadspin

After the NY Daily News story broke, Smith did a radio interview and said that the firing of the agents was "not because of one particular incident, there are a number of things".

Select Sports Group issued the following statement:

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects. The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

The Deadspin article states that they "spoke to a person close to Geno Smith", and that source stated that Select Sports Group "absolutely told Geno he'd go No. 1" - though it is not indicated whether that first hand, or second hand through Smith. The source also says that Smith was more bothered by that number one pick comment as being the sole reason why he fired the agency.

Allegedly Smith felt he was not handled well throughout the entire process. Specifically he says that he disagreed with their advice that he skip the Senior Bowl, and after he was criticized by Pro Football Weekly for not partaking in the event, he felt that the agents should have done something to combat that negative press.

There is also this, which seems a bit whiny and unrealistic if true. What are the agents supposed to do, not help their other clients find jobs?

Smith also felt betrayed, perhaps unfairly, when Jeff Nalley had two of his quarterback clients sign with teams that might have been landing spots for Smith—Chase Daniel in Kansas City and Kevin Kolb in Buffalo. (This argument doesn't hold much water after the Bills traded down to take E.J. Manuel.)

Last edited:
What compensation does his former agent get? There must be some; otherwise many players would be tempted to fire their agents and save the money, given the rookie wage schedule.

What compensation does his former agent get? There must be some; otherwise many players would be tempted to fire their agents and save the money, given the rookie wage schedule.

Good question. I would assume that if a player does that then the agent is SOL?

I would imagine that if players start doing that on a regular basis then agents will build a clause into the contract for some type of compensation, if not all that all (3% if I recall correctly) that they would have otherwise been entitled to.

Well it's funny cos I was in the pharmacy today flipping through an NFL draft guide and they had Geno Smith going #1 overall. LOL. It was probably a little out of date but still, it's not like we can say there were no indications that Geno would have been at LEAST a 1st rounder.

The guy's attitude stinks though. If he was that arrogant in draft interviews as he sounds in the postdraft interviews, then I can see why teams decided to wait before taking a chance on him. Of course the New York media circus and Rex Ryan's ego appear to be a perfect fit for Geno. The Jets and him deserve to go down in flames together! LOL

The question is whether the 2015 jets will be better because of the drafting of Geno. The 2013 jets are the very worst quality team in the league. It will take at least a couple of years before they are competitive under the current administration. As Miami showed, they MIGHT get better quicker if they fire the coach and FO.

True enough, but the inevitable change of coaching staff in-between will either require him to learn a new offense or require the new coaching staff to keep the old offensive system. (The Jets do have an "offensive system," right?)

When the Jest's 2012 season ended I was depressed thinking that with the Tebowmania and the infamous butt fumble we'd never again have as entertaining a train wreck season.

Thank you Geno Smith for bring hope and joy to my heart again this nascent 2013 season!

tl;dr version - if his personality is as good as his football skill the jets have a lot to look forward to :bricks::bricks::bricks:

"I couldn’t care less what’s coming out in the media because I know what’s true,” Geno Smith, 2nd round draft pick NY Jets at 5-7-2013 press conference.

Geno Smith addresses criticism | ProFootballTalk

The NY Jets are the worst-managed franchise in the NFL. Why in the world would anyone allow their 2nd round draft pick to stand in front of a microphone and field questions from the media?

I can see a photo op under very tightly controlled conditions to allow the media to get a look at the new guys. Any question that can't be answered with "I'm grateful for the opportunity and I look forward to working hard, blah, blah, blah," should be handled by the Head Coach or the GM.

The Jets crank up the clown car, blow horns, and feed their rookie back-up to one of the top three media schools of sharks in the league just like the puppet show they had for Tim Tebow when they signed him as a backup. Morons.

If I am a sportswriter in NYC and I hear "I couldn't care less what's coming out in the media..." I go nuts. Well, let's just see about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back