PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Pass On Jim Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people thought that about Rodney in the summer of '03 as well.

The difference is no one has ever come close to confusing Leonard with pre-03 Harrison.
To say any aging safety will be good because Rodney Harrison was is weak logic.

Teams were actively pursuing Harrison and he almost a had a deal done with the Raiders when the Pats' swooped in.

I don't know where you got that from but in america's game 03, Rodney himself says he sparked no interest.

If you're trying to compare Jim Leonhard to San Diego Chargers perenial Pro-Bowl Safety Rodney Harrison, I recommend you put down the bong.

I'm not. I'm just saying, because everybody's saying a player is done doesn't mean that he is. There's no way he's a Rodney, but with the safeties we currently have, it is worth a look. If he can stay healthy, he's definetly an upgrade.

I don't know where you got that from but in america's game 03, Rodney himself says he sparked no interest.

I'm not. I'm just saying, because everybody's saying a player is done doesn't mean that he is. There's no way he's a Rodney, but with the safeties we currently have, it is worth a look. If he can stay healthy, he's definetly an upgrade.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I love Edelman as much as the next guy...but IF Leonard is healthy, would anyone really argue that he wouldn't be an upgrade vs Slater/Edelman? Ihedigbo? The fact that he was starting for a respectable defense leads credence to the thinking of a low cost two year deal (gets ir'ed/pup'ed early) being worth a gamble, this with room to play under the cap (with Wes franchised and all the rooks signed mind you). Low risk with substantial long term reward. Leadership qualities, certainly sounds like a good influence on a young group...the fact that he would seemingly be had on the cheap for such a contract (throw performance incentives in to fan the fire...). Can play special teams. Why not IF he has healed and on a good rehabilitation path.

The "if" is always the hitch, isn't it. Let's not forget we may have a rehabbing FA vet that could also be in the fold. I like where this defense is heading, and I love the competition that will be camp. You could easily argue that Edelman and Slater have the most to prove this year. In the process you have two proven team players in the mix on all three teams. The influx of db/wr bodies should certainly be noted. Minus significant injuries, I suspect one of the two will be cut. Did I mention two secondary playing rookies. They will be playing ST's, certainly the 7th rounder if he sticks. Seems like positions will be hard to come by this year.

Slater has the family and Edelman likes to grope women. On the field, I think I'll go with the edgy guy who seems to move ahead of himself, committing to soon at times but often closer to the los than his help...

...the one that played qb in college.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rodney Harrison was in Oakland finalizing a deal with the Raiders when the Pats called him to say they wanted to sign him. In fact, the Broncos called too.

Harrison, 30, was thought to be close to signing with Oakland on Monday. In truth, he was visiting the Raiders that day when he got phone calls from two teams -- the Broncos and Patriots. New England asked Harrison to come for a visit before he signed with the Raiders, and Harrison agreed to take a red-eye flight to Boston to meet with a Patriot delegation led by head coach Bill Belichick.

SI.com - Pro Football - Pats add Rodney Harrison to defensive haul - Wednesday March 12, 2003 12:00 PM

So at least three teams were interested in Harrison.

Wasn't Rex somewhat in love with him? He seemed like a smart player.

Sign the guy to a small contract, put him on IR, and then have him help with game plans and coaching up the young secondary guys. It would be worth it just to torture the Jets by making it clear that he's helping with just those two game plans this year.

I thought the reason we beat them 45 to 3, 2 years agao cause this guy was out now they don't want him??? it's nice to not be a YET fan the team that has yet to anything

Last edited:
He just feels like the kind of player the Pats would take a look at, if only to have a view on him if he's still available and there's an injury. From everything I saw of him down here, he's too good a guy to be a Jet.

Wasn't Rex somewhat in love with him? He seemed like a smart player.

Rex likes 'em dumb and saying "Yessir" (see Sanchez) not smart and wondering "WTF am I doing in this locker room?"

Apples and oranges. The take on Harrison when the Chargers cut him that he went from elite status to good or very good due to injuries. His last year in San Deigo he had 86 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF, and 2 INTs in 13 games. That would have been a career year for Leonhard. Leonhard never had a year like that. Teams were actively pursuing Harrison and he almost a had a deal done with the Raiders when the Pats' swooped in.

Let's not forget that Harrison didn't have an injury as bad as a torn PCL either.

Sorry, but comparing his situation now to Harrison's situation in 2003 is laughable.

BTW, by July 18, 2003, Harrison had been a Patriot for four months. Nine years later, Leonhard is a free agent without a home.

I may be wrong that it is a career ender because Leonard is much younger than I thought he was, but he should never be mentioned in the same breath with Rodney Harrison.

Who is comparing them? In this thread, it looks as if only you are. I just used Rodney as an example of a player that a lot of people thought was either on the back nine or was done and the Pats still took a look. Even through the injuries, I still think that the Pats should take a look at Leonard. He has all of the character traits that the Pats look for in a player and, when healthy, he would be the best option to line up next to Chung as compared to everyone else we have on the roster.

The difference is no one has ever come close to confusing Leonard with pre-03 Harrison.
To say any aging safety will be good because Rodney Harrison was is weak logic.

Can you show me where I said that in this thread?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind giving him a look. Let's face it, at safety we have:

Chung - Who I like, but seems to miss a few games every year.

Gregory - Who I also like, but new guys are hit or miss until we see how they fit in.

Wilson - Rookies are never reliable, especially at safety. If he's going to be good he's likely not going to be good right away.

Barrett - No idea, never been healthy.

Ihedighbo - Should be a ST/depth guy only.

There's potential there, and we could see some CB's playing safety, but everyone has a question mark. Adding another body to the mix would up the chances of finding the right answer.

I like what we have already we don't need this injury waiting to happen

I like what we have already we don't need this injury waiting to happen

Regardless, it wouldn't be BB if he wasn't doing his due diligence on Leonard at the very least. Especially with the train wreck we had at safety last season.

Better this. Sign him and put him on PUP as he heals. No hit to the 53. That way as the season progresses BB can activate him if he's healed and injuries deplete our weak safety corps or if he's done, give him an injury settlement. Unless a physical reveals he runs slower than Brady, I'd take a shot at this position of need.

Regardless, it wouldn't be BB if he wasn't doing his due diligence on Leonard at the very least. Especially with the train wreck we had at safety last season.

Agreed it wouldn't be BB if he didn't look at this guy ....I personally don't see the need we have lots of safties that get hurt on a regular basis

Agreed it wouldn't be BB if he didn't look at this guy ....I personally don't see the need we have lots of safties that get hurt on a regular basis

With the corps of quality available safeties being thin as it is, this is exactly the reason why BB should be doing his due diligence on Leonard.

Who is comparing them? In this thread, it looks as if only you are. I just used Rodney as an example of a player that a lot of people thought was either on the back nine or was done and the Pats still took a look. Even through the injuries, I still think that the Pats should take a look at Leonard. He has all of the character traits that the Pats look for in a player and, when healthy, he would be the best option to line up next to Chung as compared to everyone else we have on the roster.

I see what you are saying, but still not a relevant comparison. Harrison did not have a significant injury like Leonhard did. Harrison had some nagging injuries, but nothing like a torn PCL. Also, Harrison looked like he might not be elite anymore to a lot of people, but was still considered by most that he was still a solid safety. He was cut by the Chargers for cap reasons, not because he couldn't play anymore. Harrison had three teams chasing him and got a good multiyear deal a week after free agency began. Harrison was fully healthy to participate in all the offseason activities while Leonhard could end up starting the season on PUP. Two totally different situations.

I'm not against signing him to an one year prove it deal. I think if Leonhard is healthy and fully recovered, he can at least help situationally. It is my understanding though (and I could be wrong) that recovering from a torn PCL can take longer than recovering from a torn ACL and he only tore it 8-9 months ago.

I just think comparing him to Harrison in 2003 has no basis in the facts though. The two situations couldn't be much more different in other than they both had injuries the previous year.

Last edited:
I agree with those saying that BB should do his diligence, but that doesn't always mean that he necessarily has to sign the guy. I'm sure BB and the scouting dept. have already done their due diligence. That comes way before even bringing the player in for a visit most times. If we don't hear anything about Leonard at the Pats, it won't be because they didn't do their diligence. It'll be because they did and just didn't see anything that made them want to call him up.

Have you seen the current Patriots safety group?

Jim Leonard is a football player. He was a team leader, he was productive, and he also returned kicks. Sucks that he got hurt 2 years in a row, but if he can get healthy then he will be playing somewhere in 2012. Jets would be stupid to let him go. Especially considering their depth at safety and lack of team leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes