Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Power

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
First, the rules :

The Seattle Times: Seahawks: NFL rules on crowd noise

What I'm referring to in the rules :

(1) Club-Controlled Sound: The home club does not have the prerogative to decide if such sound hampers signal calling. While spontaneous crowd noises may be beyond immediate control, noise of any kind (music, horns, gongs, drums, etc.) that is under club control must cease when the play clock (40 or 25 second) is running and the visiting team is in possession of the ball. Flagrant attempts by cheerleaders, mascots or the public-address system to encourage crowd noise for the purpose of disrupting the visiting team's offense while the play clock is running is prohibited. The use of noise meters or such messages as "Noise!," "Let's hear it!," "Raise the Roof," "Let's go Crazy," "Pump it up," "12th Man" are prohibited at any time during the game. These examples are not limited to the foregoing, but also would include similar messages that encourage crowds to make random noise in order to disrupt the opposition. The prohibitions specified in this section also apply during kicking plays.

Then why on TWO occasions tonight (and that's only because that's all I've seen on TV with the camera angles and such), at least once on 3RD DOWN have I seen the following on the Jets scoreboard/ring crawl...

GET LOUD !

Can someone answer that for me? Or better yet, can someone please find it (first quarter there are TWO instances) on their DVR and get us a screen capture image of it?

I want us ALL to start complaining about this to the league offices via email and phone calls first thing business hours tomorrow. We must put a stop to it before Sunday.

The Jets shouldn't be allowed to break the rules just because their drunken fans don't know the proper time to get loud for their team.

Last edited:
First, the rules :

Then why on TWO occasions tonight (and that's only because that's all I've seen on TV with the camera angles and such), at least once on 3RD DOWN have I seen the following on the Jets scoreboard/ring crawl...

GET LOUD !

Can someone answer that for me? Or better yet, can someone please find it (first quarter there are TWO instances) on their DVR and get us a screen capture image of it?

I want us ALL to start complaining about this to the league offices via email and phone calls first thing business hours tomorrow. We must put a stop to it before Sunday.

The Jets shouldn't be allowed to break the rules just because their drunken fans don't know the proper time to get loud for their team.

There was definitely stuff like that going on at the game, but I believe the phrase; "while the play clock is running is prohibited" is the key here. It also explains the strange timing of when they showed the get loud stuff... always seemed to early.

I saw it while play wasn't happening... the initial drive where the Ravens got penalized and pushed out of field goal range then the Jets got penalized on 3rd down and gave them a first. If its in between plays, how could the play clock not be running other than a few seconds when they would place the ball and move the chains ?

I'll have to wait and see the video now I guess.

Thing is... at Gilette and the 5 or 6 other NFL stadiums I've been to for games, I can't recall ever seeing messages to incite crowd noise AT ALL. 'Quiet. Offense at Work', yes. 'Get Loud' or the like... not that I recall.

First, the rules :

GET LOUD !

I hate to break it you but the Patriots used the "noise meter" extensively yesterday.

Really ? Maybe there's been a shift in league rules that I don't know about.

Carry on then... nothing to see here. :eek:

Not just the meter but a couple of times Tully Banta-Cain popped up on the video screen to help fire up the fans. I don't think it was while Bengals were at the line of scrimmage but more right after the previous play had ended.

I saw something that was saying "LOUDER" while the play clock was going. But I've never heard of this being a problem before.

Jon Kraft on the pregame yesterday on 98.5 said the rules changed this year for this kind of stuff. They can now show those things up until 15 seconds on the play clock.

Judging from the passing stats of the Jets, I don't think crowd noise is going to be a problem this year.:D

Jon Kraft on the pregame yesterday on 98.5 said the rules changed this year for this kind of stuff. They can now show those things up until 15 seconds on the play clock.

I was going to say... :confused: Pretty much every game I've ever been to, there's messages like "MAKE SOME NOISE!" on the Jumbotron.

I suggest making this thread sticky.

Oh, bump.:)

What a moronic rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes