PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets midfield and going for it on 4th & inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunzoburns

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Great play by Junior stuffing the run! However, I thought we burried the running back on the previous 3 & 1 attempt? How did the referee spot the ball 4th and inches. Was that a generous spot or is it just me? I could be wrong and it worked to our benefit but what did you think?

bunzoburns said:
Great play by Junior stuffing the run! However, I thought we burried the running back on the previous 3 & 1 attempt? How did the referee spot the ball 4th and inches. Was that a generous spot or is it just me? I could be wrong and it worked to our benefit but what did you think?

I don't think your eyes deceived you.

I also thought it was a unbelievably good spot for the jesters. Equalled only by an unbelievably bad decision by Mangini to go for it. Belichick might well have gone for it with the Patriots because our lines were dominant. It was horrible for Manini, regardless of being down 17-0.

bunzoburns said:

I liked the decision to go but it was a bad call. They should have run a QB sneak. 4th and inches is an exageration... it was really 4th and inch.

NEM said:
I thought the same thing, that they gave the Jets a damned good spot on that.

Mangini was right in going for it, IMO, because it was only a few inches and my guess is that the chances of making it are at least 90%.

Going for it may/maynot have been right thing to do.
It gave PATs a short field leading to a TD. In that position I do not see
Belcihick going for it. Seeing what can happen (JETs 2 quick TDs/FG)
better give PATs offense a long field and hope they make a mistake.

But if JETs had to go for it, why not have Mangold make a push and fall
down with Chad. A few inches is all they needed ... why RB out of backfield?

Last edited:
with a rookie center, a non running qb and the Pats having shut down the run I thought it was an incredibly stupid move and showed the impatience of Mangini... hate to say it, but I predicted they would not make it.. and they did not.

The Pats got a bad spot there but they were gifted a couple good spots in other situations. Can't complain overall.

bunzoburns said:

You are correct. He actually lost a yard on 3rd down and they spotted him gaining almost a yard.

I was flipping.

That's why I was really scared when he stuffed him because I was scared they would give him the yardage anyway like they did on 3rd down.

Let's count our blessings, even if they're disguised as a bad spot. Correctly spotted they would have needed 2-3 feet and Mangini would've punted. He's trying to build confidence in the OLine; to not go for 4th and an inch would be worse than failing to make it... in the long run. The Jets don't have a short run to look at.

JR4 said:
Going for it may/maynot have been right thing to do.
It gave PATs a short field leading to a TD. In that position I do not see
Belcihick going for it. Seeing what can happen (JETs 2 quick TDs/FG)
better give PATs offense a long field and hope they make a mistake.

But if JETs had to go for it, why not have Mangold make a push and fall
down with Chad. A few inches is all they needed ... why RB out of backfield?
I'll give you three reasons: one broken wrist and two shoulder surgeries.

PatsFan37 said:
I'll give you three reasons: one broken wrist and two shoulder surgeries.
I was thinking something similar after pondering the time he went out of bounds stopping the clock for NE to have some time in the 2 minute drill. It seems better game management to give up the time to keep the QB alive.

I'm surprised not a lot has been mentioned of this play by Seau. It was this play that I realized I really don't miss Willie THAT much. It was a Bruschi-esque play and I thought it was a great play by Seau. Definitely a "feel-good" type play.

Props to Seau.

I"m liking this guy a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill