PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet's looking to move up to grab Cutler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re:

Anyways, back to the topic of the thread. So the Jets have #4. In my opinion, Leinert and Young should go ahead of Cutler, due to talent, decision making, statistics, and past performance.

If the Jets want Cutler, why try to move up from #4? If I really wanted Cutler, and Leinert and Young were taken before #4, I would take him at #4, or trade DOWN to around 10-12 in the 1st round and also get an addition pick or two for later rounds (since picks 5-9 don't need QB's).

HOWEVER....

I could see the Jets trading with the Texans for #1 in order to take Leinert or Young. The Jets would take the top QB and the Texans would take the OT Ferguson. Why you ask?

The Jets need a QB. They know the Saints go #2 and will take the top QB off the board. The Texans already have Carr, who is good but has no O-Line. The Texans already signed their RB Davis to a long term deal as well.

Swapping #1 and #4+change makes sense for both teams.

But the Jets trading up for Cutler is crazy talk.

Instead of QB's dropping in the first round this year, I see running backs dropping. Reggie Bush may end up going at #5.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
It's because they don't want to sit and have Bush, Leinart, and Cutler go right ahead of them. Vince Young will continue to fall come draft day, and I would laugh my ass off if the Jets were stuck with him, he's going to be the biggest bust ever.

I agree with you. Young looks to be a lesser version of Michael Vick. They're both running backs who throw occasionally. Young's release will be a real problem in the pros. I don't see how he can change the delivery and still be an effective passer.

maverick4 said:
Anyways, back to the topic of the thread. So the Jets have #4. In my opinion, Leinert and Young should go ahead of Cutler, due to talent, decision making, statistics, and past performance.

If the Jets want Cutler, why try to move up from #4?

Orignially many shared your opinion that Young would go ahead of Cutler. Most draft gurus no longer share your opinion - which is what led to the talk of the Jets moving up to grab Cutler, who might be gone by #4.

That's the basis for the whole thread - is Cutler worth it, and who is the better QB for the Jets?

re:

I think it's clear I think Cutler isn't worth it.

If one of those teams wants to make a mistake, then the Jets should be happy to pick up Leinert or Young or Bush at #4.

maverick4 said:
Okay Drew, I understand why you'd be averse to discussing this, since you are facing arguments that are based on fact and performance, and because your main point is Vince Young is 'stupider than a gorilla', in your own words (by the way, 'stupider' isn't even a word just so you know).

Check out ESPN's video interview with Young's current NFL QB coach. The former QB coach of Steve McNair came out of retirement and is currently working with Vince on film, footwork, decision-making, and others. He is doing it as a favor to the NFL, who asked him to do it, in order to make sure Vince Young becomes a star.

I think Steve McNair is what Vince could become, but I actually expect Vince to be better than McNair.

meh--i've been reading 'drew's' draft posts for a few years before he started posting here--not quite the savante he pretends to be on his preferred web forum

i suspect we could probably dig up posts of his praising Bobby Grier and Michael Bishop

grain of salt...

Flying Fungi said:
meh--i've been reading 'drew's' draft posts for a few years before he started posting here--not quite the savante he pretends to be on his preferred web forum

i suspect we could probably dig up posts of his praising Bobby Grier and Michael Bishop

grain of salt...
Why thank you.

I'll put my draft knowledge up against anyone else's on here, and have dedicated myself to the draft for the past few offseasons. Sorry if my Young analysis doesn't fit yours, but we'll see soon enough.

drew4008 said:
Why thank you.

I'll put my draft knowledge up against anyone else's on here, and have dedicated myself to the draft for the past few offseasons. Sorry if my Young analysis doesn't fit yours, but we'll see soon enough.

There's plenty of people on both sides of the fence on this one.

The only thing for sure is that lots of smart people are going to look dumb.

Frankly I have some questions about whether Leinart will be able to thrive without the outstanding supporting cast he currently has around him.

I think many GMs share the same concerns about both Young and Leinart, and this is part of the reason why Cuttler's stock is rising.

For what its worth, I (along with others) predicted that Big Ben would be the best QB out of his draft class and so far its looking like I was right.

Frankly I hope I'm wrong - good QB play makes the whole NFL a lot more interesting - I want Young, Leinart and Cuttler to do well (with the exception of the one the Jets pick)

drew4008 said:
Why thank you.

actually, I don't have a Young analysis

I have a 'drew' analysis though.

I have read plenty of your posts over at the forum that you 'administer'--including the picks you made in the past few mock drafts on behalf of the Patriots ( :bricks: ) .

I also like how you re-post virtually everything from Patsfans.com over there as if it was your original content.

Whatever...between my opinion on the draft (and probably everything else as well) and yours, I'll take mine 10 times out of 10...

Flying Fungi said:
actually, I don't have a Young analysis

I have a 'drew' analysis though.

I have read plenty of your posts over at the forum that you 'administer'--including the picks you made in the past few mock drafts on behalf of the Patriots ( :bricks: ) .

I also like how you re-post virtually everything from Patsfans.com over there as if it was your original content.

Whatever...between my opinion on the draft (and probably everything else as well) and yours, I'll take mine 10 times out of 10...

Flying Fungi why don't you ever post at the "other" forum? We sure could use some more Pats fans over there. I was just wondering which one of the past few mock drafts have been so bad since I have taken part in most of them as well. To defend Drew, he was like 15 or something when he first started on the forum so give him some credit. (how old are you now drew, 17?)
And as far as Vince Young goes, I am just not sure. I use to think he could never be an NFL QB. But this year he showed a lot of people he could play. Am I totally convinced? Not by a long shot. But man this guy has a lot of talent. I would also like to point out that Vick has won a good amount of games in the NFL and until Young does that there is no way he can be considered better than Vick.

Last edited:
nickw308810 said:
Flying Fungi why don't you ever post at the "other" forum? We sure could use some more Pats fans over there. I was just wondering which one of the past few mock drafts have been so bad since I have taken part in most of them as well. To defend Drew, he was like 15 or something when he first started on the forum so give him some credit. (how old are you now drew, 17?)
And as far as Vince Young goes, I am just not sure. I use to think he could never be an NFL QB. But this year he showed a lot of people he could play. Am I totally convinced? Not by a long shot. But man this guy has a lot of talent. I would also like to point out that Vick has won a good amount of games in the NFL and until Young does that there is no way he can be considered better than Vick.

okay

I'll buy that

peace out Drew--you've grown a lot, and I apologize for coming down on you--you have a lot to offer, and with your level of interest and activity, perhaps you even have a future in sports media or management

I even take back the Bobby Grier reference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back