PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet's looking to move up to grab Cutler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Interesting if true - I was kindof hoping they'd stay where they were and pick Young - who I think is going to be an NFL disappointment (a less talented version of Michael Vick).

Oh well - its usually 50/50 with a 1st round QB pick anyway.

pft.com said:
POSTED 9:20 a.m. EST; UPDATED 9:45 p.m. EST, February 22, 2006

JETS LOOKING TO SWAP WITH SAINTS?

There’s talk in league circles that the New York Jets are sufficiently smitten with Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler to prompt serious consideration by the front office of a trade up in the April draft from the No. 4 overall spot to No. 2, which pick currently is held by the Saints.

The Jets’ objective would be to leapfrog the Titans, who sit and No. 3 – and who likewise are thought to be thinking seriously about drafting Cutler.

The only hitch is that the Saints are believed to be primarily interested in USC quarterback Matt Leinart, who very well could be plucked by the Titans at No. 3 if Cutler is off the board.

Stay tuned.

JoeSixPat said:
Interesting if true - I was kindof hoping they'd stay where they were and pick Young - who I think is going to be an NFL disappointment (a less talented version of Michael Vick).

HUH?!?!? Why? Just sit it out and take whatever of the 3 QB's fall to you. If you are as bad as you are...KEEP you picks you will need them ALLLLL.

SaCaCh said:
HUH?!?!? Why? Just sit it out and take whatever of the 3 QB's fall to you. If you are as bad as you are...KEEP you picks you will need them ALLLLL.

There's a ton of buzz about Cutler these days - I'm not quite sure over what.

But I'm guessing Mangini probably has some strong feelings about what a difference-maker the right QB can be for a team.

I really like Jay Cutler, but there is no way you take him instead of Matt Leinart or Vince Young. He was the QB for a team that never went to a Bowl game. Could he end up being the best of the 3? Quite possibly, but that is a lot of risk to take considering you should be able to just sit still and get him.

I can't imagine the thought process in this.. With Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart I can't see why you'd move from the #4 spot. If Cutler goes ahead of any of those guys why would you not save your picks and just 'settle' for one of those three? Weird move if it goes through. Bad move, IMO.

EDIT: Of course, EM learned from Belichick... It could just be a smokescreen to get one of the top 3 picks to take Cutler letting one of the other Big Three fall to the four slot. Who knows. Interesting draft this year though. Much more fun than last season to me, so far.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
There's a ton of buzz about Cutler these days - I'm not quite sure over what.

But I'm guessing Mangini probably has some strong feelings about what a difference-maker the right QB can be for a team.

In the NFL the road the hell is often paved with buzz and hype. There was much talk at the Senior Bowl practices that Bradway was salivating over Cutler. His performance in the game was thoroughly underwhelming.

His pre draft buzz was maybe mid first rounder in a weak draft. And I think even that is a product of demand exceeding supply. His scouting report from NFLDraft.com is certainly a mixed bag.

Strengths:
Has a very strong arm...Good size...Pretty good athlete who can move a little...Sports a quick delivery with good accuracy...Patient player who will go through his progressions...Tough guy who will hang in the pocket and take a hit...Throws well on the move...Strong and durable with a lot of experience...A leader with top intangibles and is a gamer who comes up big in the clutch.

Weaknesses:
Mechanics get pretty dodgy at times...Footwork is very eratic...Will take unnecessary risks and make some bad decisions...Gunslinging mentality can morph into recklessness...Has too much confidence in his arm at times...Struggles throwing the deep ball...Has not had a lot of success at the college level from a team perspective...Body has taken a lot of punishment throughout his career.

Notes:
Never received a lot of national attention but was named preseason All-SEC...Has the physical tools and makeup to succeed at the next level...With the lack of top signal callers available don't be surprised if Cutler goes off the board early.

JoeSixPat said:

JSP -
I gotta disagree with you about Young. I think that he is much more talented than Vick. Young can recognized defenses and Young can actually throw on the run with accuracy and Young doesn't look to run as soon as a play breaks down. I've watched him step up into the pocket and look around before taking off.

If the Titans take Young, I think that Norm Chow would be in heaven because of the talent that Young brings.

re:

I think Cutler is being promoted by teams to mess with the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if Norm Chow hyped Cutler up at the Senior Bowl in the hopes that Leinert fell to the Titans.

3 of the first 4 teams picking in the draft could use a good QB. There are only two blue chips - Leinert and Bush.

I don't understand the hype around Cutler. He was never a winner in college, has not had to face high-pressure competition, and

It's because they don't want to sit and have Bush, Leinart, and Cutler go right ahead of them. Vince Young will continue to fall come draft day, and I would laugh my ass off if the Jets were stuck with him, he's going to be the biggest bust ever.

drew4008 said:
It's because they don't want to sit and have Bush, Leinart, and Cutler go right ahead of them. Vince Young will continue to fall come draft day, and I would laugh my ass off if the Jets were stuck with him, he's going to be the biggest bust ever.

Drew -
Sorry, but Vince Young can't have the title of Biggest Bust ever. That would be Ryan Leaf. And there is no way young can top him. Unless, of course, he got arrested just hours after being drafted...

I don't know about the rest of u guys, but I have this feeling that one of these guys is gonna drop like big ben. Anyone else think it's a possibility? My guys would be cutler. I dont know what people aare getting crazy about. I havent seen THAT much from him. Tell me who you guys think is gonna drop. Remember the cardinals are bound to screw up and let somebody to keep droppin. Thats a gimme. So who keeps slidin'?

re

drew4008 said:
Vince Young will continue to fall come draft day, and I would laugh my ass off if the Jets were stuck with him, he's going to be the biggest bust ever.

What is your reasoning behind this statement?

Vince Young looks better than when Vick came out. He throws funky, but he makes good decisions and is an accurate passer.

Also, you can't devalue the competitive spirit that some players show. For example, Tom Brady rallied Michican twice in his last Orange Bowl game to win in overtime by one point. Joe Montana was heroic at Notre Dame. Vince Young would not let Texas lose to USC; he kept single handedly bringing them back. All of these guys were knocked come draft day for various flaws. Vince Young plays differently, but he has the same poise, leadership and competitive fire.

If Young drops in the 1st round, whoever drafts him is going to the playoffs guaranteed (partially because Young is good, and partially because that team would already have talent around him).

Last edited:
Vince Young has BUST written all over him. Certainly not ready for prime time - and not sure ever will be. His throwing motion is awful, he release stinks. His "accuracy" will surely be tested in the NFL and his legs won't last, nor carry a team. Bank on it - VY = Bust.

Last edited:
Garbanza said:
Vince Young has BUST written all over him. His throwing motion is awful, he release stinks. His "accuracy" will surely be tested in the NFL and his legs won't last, nor carry a team. Bank on it - VY = Bust.

I completely disagree.

He is an accurate passer who makes good decisions. He had the highest QB passer rating in college this past year; higher than Leinert or any other quarterback. His throwing motion is weird, but he is 6'5 (tall), so I'm not sure how much his lower release point will negatively affect his passes.

The issue I don't understand, is if you have a top 4 pick, why would you pick Cutler over Young? Cutler seems to me to be a Ryan Leaf. Moving big-time up the draft board for reasons not based on games, looks great, strong arm, questionable decision making and feet, and was not on a dominant winner in college or known for poise and heroic rallies.

Last edited:
Vince Young is not reckless. He is a tremendous athlete. I'm not sure if he has a huge arm, but he certainly seems accurate. Strikes me as what Atlanta WISHES Vick were right now. Savvy, looks to pass first, nice touch on the short check-down throws and, as a last resort, fleet afoot and BIG. What's not to like?

I'm not even going to have this discussion as I've had it 20 times already. I'm already set on my judgement. Young is stupider than a gorilla, makes terrible decisions, is a shotgun QB, won't be able to use his easy option reads all the time, and is inaccurate when not throwing underneath to his TE every play. Whoever gets him is making a terrible mistake.

re:

Okay Drew, I understand why you'd be averse to discussing this, since you are facing arguments that are based on fact and performance, and because your main point is Vince Young is 'stupider than a gorilla', in your own words (by the way, 'stupider' isn't even a word just so you know).

Check out ESPN's video interview with Young's current NFL QB coach. The former QB coach of Steve McNair came out of retirement and is currently working with Vince on film, footwork, decision-making, and others. He is doing it as a favor to the NFL, who asked him to do it, in order to make sure Vince Young becomes a star.

I think Steve McNair is what Vince could become, but I actually expect Vince to be better than McNair.

Last edited:
I could throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs if I had Young's pure physical abilities against the defenses he played. In the NFL, he'll have the likes of Belichick scheming against him.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
I'm not even going to have this discussion as I've had it 20 times already. I'm already set on my judgement. Young is stupider than a gorilla, makes terrible decisions, is a shotgun QB, won't be able to use his easy option reads all the time, and is inaccurate when not throwing underneath to his TE every play. Whoever gets him is making a terrible mistake.

WOW, Drew, tell us how you REALLY feel.

But, let me ask you this. Why was it OK for Drew to dump it underneath to Ben Coates when his other options weren't there, but its not OK for Vince Young to do so?

Also, considering that Youngs 2,3,5,6 receivers in # of catches were all WRs, I think you are over-stating, a tad, how ofter he went to the TE underneath. Also, Young have a 9.34 YPA doesn't seem to jive with your saying that he only could throw underneath. Or, are you saying that Young's receivers are so amazing that he'd throw simple dump offs to them and they'd gain the 17.7 yards per reception that those 4 avged. What's more unrealistic?

Now, as for your claims that Young is stupider than a gorilla, what is your proof? I didn't watch him but for the Rose Bowl and 1 other game and what I saw there didn't show him to be stupid. Did he have a LOT of patience? No. But his 1st instinct wasn't to run the ball either. And that, alone, makes him better than Michael Vick.

drew4008 said:
I could throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs if I had Young's pure physical abilities against the defenses he played. In the NFL, he'll have the likes of Belichick scheming against him.

And Young will have the benefit of some of the good coaches out there. Dame Drew, what did Young do, cost you money or something? You're ragging on him borders on a personal hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back