PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets LB: Pats run 'borderline illegal' offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, it's cheap, but it's smart. If you're overmatched, you take any break that you can possibly get, collect the troops, and go back at it. Turns out that it worked for the Jets in 2010.

I absolutely agree, and it IS smart to push the envelope to your team's advantage.

While this is true, it is more of a dig at the Rats' and their fans' hypocrisy when they like to bring up Spygate or other perceived Pats' wrongdoings.

The "Once a cheater always a cheater" line can be seen often on Rats boards, yet they are really good a "finding the specks in the Pats' eyes while ignoring the beams in theirs".

Agreed, but wasn't there a memo send out about this as well (faking injuries). Granted, they can't do much about it during he game (unless it's completely obvious and cramps would be the easiest to fake), but afterwards, there could be repurcussions.

As you said, faked cramps are going to be extremely hard to prove.

Eh, it's cheap, but it's smart. If you're overmatched, you take any break that you can possibly get, collect the troops, and go back at it. Turns out that it worked for the Jets in 2010.

The funniest thing about that is the Jets fans called the Pats cheaters for years for McGinest "faking" an injury to slow down the Colts. Now they think it is gamesmanship.

The funniest thing about that is the Jets fans called the Pats cheaters for years for McGinest "faking" an injury to slow down the Colts. Now they think it is gamesmanship.

Oh come on. Take off the homer glasses and take the quotes off of "faking". McGinest obviously faked that injury. Especially since on replay you can see Ty Law also got simultaneously "injured" but miraculously recovered when he saw McGinest was the one staying down.

I thought it made the win over Dungheap and Goober even sweeter, actually.

The OL has to be set before we snap the ball. Set doesn't mean your motion is paused. It means set. We're pushing the envelope on that at times. Keep doing it until called. I would like to see us hurry up to the line and then backoff at times. We can pass better when we do it like that. You really have to run the ball in our hurry up. I think teams might see that and be better prepared. Bring the safety down and put 8 in the box

I have noticed that.

Oh come on. Take off the homer glasses and take the quotes off of "faking". McGinest obviously faked that injury. Especially since on replay you can see Ty Law also got simultaneously "injured" but miraculously recovered when he saw McGinest was the one staying down.

I thought it made the win over Dungheap and Goober even sweeter, actually.

Hey, some teams do it better than others.

Giants Players Fake Injuries To Slow Down Rams Offense - YouTube

Happened even back in 1989

In preparing for the AFC playoff game, Seahawks coach Chuck Knox and his staff looked for ways to stop Cincinnati's hurry-up offense...

The Seahawks countered that strategy by feigning an injury, with Joe Nash and backup nose tackle Ken Clarke called upon to be the designated casualties.

On at least six occasions, Nash stood up after the play, looked for a signal from the bench, and then crumpled to the ground, holding his knee. While an injury timeout was called and trainers huddled over Nash, Seattle's nickel defense took its place on the field to get ready for the next play.

Wyche and the Bengals vehemently protested but Seattle's strategy was within the rules.

"We were just trying to get our nickel defense on the field and when we did it, it worked," said Nash. "I did it because they asked me to. After all, they're the ones that write out the checks."

While Nash took a lot of ribbing from friends in the offseason, the NFL rules committee went to work to stop such maneuvering on both sides of the ball.

Here's an excerpt From the new NFL rule book:

"An offense is prohibited, while in the process of a substitution or a simulated substitution, from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul. In such an instance, the umpire shall hold the snap, giving the defense a reasonable time to complete its substitution or, if a defensive foul results, the flag will be picked up and the down replayed.

"Any entering substitute who participates in a play must enter while the ball is dead and must move on to the field as far as the inside field numerals. In addition, the player or players replaced must have cleared the field on their own side (beyond the end lines) prior to the snap or free kick.

"Strong disciplinary measures will be enacted against feigned injuries. Such measures could even result in a fine"

Seahawk Nash's trick knee was all in his head 09/03/1989 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited:
Yeah I posted this topic in Cromartie praise thread earlier today. Seems like No-Huddle is in Pace's head along with Jets staff. Tryin to plant a seed in refs heads about moving before snaps. Keep poundin'm with NH and they'll have oxygen tanks on sidelines not gatorade.

If he had said, "Mr. Brady can we please get a chance to line up," everybody here would be laughing and saying what a great sport the guy is. Saying that something is "borderline illegal," but you wish your own team would do the same thing is about the highest praise you can give.

Goodell allowed the story to be planted in the NY press...so that when the refs call the Patriots 10 or 15 times during the game giving his Jets the chance to sub, he can hide behind the officials...again...he should have immediately come out and lambasted Pace and the Jets for making false statements that give the league a black mark.....of course, having seen the joke excuse he came up with to NOT sanction the Jets or Ryan for REAL CHEATING(the Alosi scumbag incident), it's no wonder THIS is being allowed and actually SANCTIONED AND PROMOTED by Goodell through his ESPN mouthpieces.

Joker, sometime you gotta let us all know whatever it was that Goodell did to you. Did he cut you off in the checkout line? Did he run over your favorite pet? Did he give you wedgies in high school?

I mean, come on. I've said often out here that the guy is not up to the job and is a classic example of a staff person who got the top job but couldn't cut it.

But let's not try to pin everything on him. Some people will think we've now become a bunch of fans looking for excuses for our next loss.

(Hopefully, taken with the same good humor with which it is intended. :) )

This year the competition committee was going to form a rule for this, i am not sure if they did

I thought they had already done so after Bruschi's "injury" towards the end of a Colts' game a few years back. What goeth around surely doth cometh around.

Pace also took a shot at their O wishing they would do it and more of it...no real shot at the pats..borderline illegal means...it's legal.

I expect the Rats to use the same tactic they did in the 2010 playoff games vs the Pats, where the defense had a rash of phantom injuries to their defenders.

You can't be serious. How about the "injury" to Willie McGinist against the Colts in 2003 on that goal line stand? Let me guess, that wasn't cheating, right? And how ironic that a Patriots fan, of all fans, complains about cheating when they burned your illegal tapes so we couldn't see what was on them.

You can't be serious. How about the "injury" to Willie McGinist against the Colts in 2003 on that goal line stand? Let me guess, that wasn't cheating, right? And how ironic that a Patriots fan, of all fans, complains about cheating when they burned your illegal tapes so we couldn't see what was on them.

They filmed what was clearly visible to thousands of fans in the stadium. And what was filmed want illegal, it was where out was filmed from, the rule is in the same section that dictates the length of grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back