PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets LB: Pats run 'borderline illegal' offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
New York Jets preparing for New England Patriots' up-tempo offense - ESPN New York

"It's borderline illegal because sometimes the guys aren't always set when they snap the ball," Pace said Wednesday. "But it's smart. Why not hurry a team up? I wish we would do it. For a defense, it just puts pressure on you."

The Jets are trying to simulate the Patriots' up-tempo offense in practice, but it's not easy. When the scout-team offense finishes a play, it huddles to read the next play card, usually held up by an assistant coach. That takes precious seconds. When Tom Brady shifts into high gear, the Patriots' no-huddle attack operates at a breakneck pace.

As it turns out he is trying to say something +ve :cool:

pace is such a ****ty lb

"It's borderline illegal because sometimes the guys aren't always set when they snap the ball"

Oh my god. Go cry to your mommy..

Sensationalist headline - reading the entirety of what he said, it wasn't that bad.

Pats are going to go all-out trying to set as many tempo records as possible in this game. It's going to get ugly.

Goodell allowed the story to be planted in the NY press...so that when the refs call the Patriots 10 or 15 times during the game giving his Jets the chance to sub, he can hide behind the officials...again...he should have immediately come out and lambasted Pace and the Jets for making false statements that give the league a black mark.....of course, having seen the joke excuse he came up with to NOT sanction the Jets or Ryan for REAL CHEATING(the Alosi scumbag incident), it's no wonder THIS is being allowed and actually SANCTIONED AND PROMOTED by Goodell through his ESPN mouthpieces.

Last edited:
Goodell allowed the story to be planted in the NY press...so that when the refs call the Patriots 10 or 15 times during the game giving his Jets the chance to sub, he can hide behind the officials...again...he should have immediately come out and lambasted Pace and the Jets for making false statements that give the league a black mark.....of course, having seen the joke excuse he came up with to NOT sanction the Jets or Ryan for REAL CHEATING(the Alosi scumbag incident), it's no wonder THIS is being allowed and actually SANCTIONED AND PROMOTED by Goodell through his ESPN mouthpieces.

Joker mate, your obsession with Goodell is unhealthy!

The guy is a pathetic excuse for a commissioner but you need to try get over it a little :D

The excuses to lose are already piling up....

Pace also mentions how he wishes the Jets would do it too. I think he means expanding on their existing one-word plays like "Interception" and "Fumble" and "Groundball."

Well, if it's "illegal," I guess it's not "borderline."

Moron.

Sensationalist headline - reading the entirety of what he said, it wasn't that bad.

Couldn't agree more. Anything to paint the Pats in bad light. Even better when it comes from that green garbage.

"It's borderline illegal because sometimes the guys aren't always set when they snap the ball"

Oh my god. Go cry to your mommy..

I expect the Rats to use the same tactic they did in the 2010 playoff games vs the Pats, where the defense had a rash of phantom injuries to their defenders.

These injuries are characterized by the game having to stop while the injured player is helped to his feet, followed by a slow laborious shuffle off the field, and then on the sidelines experiences a miraculous recovery so that the player only misses one play. You'll even notice big smiles on the Rats' players faces as they recognize that their "recovery" was truly miraculous.

Once a cheater always a cheater.

The OL has to be set before we snap the ball. Set doesn't mean your motion is paused. It means set. We're pushing the envelope on that at times. Keep doing it until called. I would like to see us hurry up to the line and then backoff at times. We can pass better when we do it like that. You really have to run the ball in our hurry up. I think teams might see that and be better prepared. Bring the safety down and put 8 in the box

I expect the Rats to use the same tactic they did in the 2010 playoff games vs the Pats, where the defense had a rash of phantom injuries to their defenders.

These injuries are characterized by the game having to stop while the injured player is helped to his feet, followed by a slow laborious shuffle off the field, and then on the sidelines experiences a miraculous recovery so that the player only misses one play. You'll even notice big smiles on the Rats' players faces as they recognize that their "recovery" was truly miraculous.

Once a cheater always a cheater.

Eh, it's cheap, but it's smart. If you're overmatched, you take any break that you can possibly get, collect the troops, and go back at it. Turns out that it worked for the Jets in 2010.

by the game having to stop while the injured player is helped to his feet, followed by a slow laborious shuffle off the field, and then on the sidelines experiences a miraculous recovery so that the player only misses one play. You'll even notice big smiles on the Rats' players faces as they recognize that their "recovery" was truly miraculous.

And the Patriots have never ever done that, no sir. :rofl:

Could Pace please explain to us the rule that the offense must wait until the defense is set to snap the ball?

Eh, it's cheap, but it's smart. If you're overmatched, you take any break that you can possibly get, collect the troops, and go back at it. Turns out that it worked for the Jets in 2010.
Agreed, but wasn't there a memo send out about this as well (faking injuries). Granted, they can't do much about it during he game (unless it's completely obvious and cramps would be the easiest to fake), but afterwards, there could be repurcussions.

I have to wonder if this has become a point of emphasis for the league because somebody pulled a Polian and complained about it. The Pats were called for it once and Dallas 3 times over the last weekend and it's really not call very often in general. I wonder if we'll see a lot more illegal shift two men in motion without coming to a complete stop penalties going forward. It's possible the calls over the weekend and these comments are unrelated and an anomaly but I find that a little odd nonetheless.

It would be an unusual move for the league to try to limit the offense in any way since the slant is definitely in this direction but if it is the case it wouldn't be a surprise for the Jets to try and plant the seed early. In a way thanks for giving us the heads up so we can focus on it in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes