PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets jumped into fray as favor for Chayut - PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
smg93 said:
It's the doing this for the agent part that is still far fetched to me. That's all I'm saying.

OK. Put yourself in Manginis shoes.

Chayut calls you. He says, look I want my client out of NE, but Ive lost all leverage. I recognize he may not fit your plans. But if you make an offer, it may prompt other teams to get involved. It will also show that the Patriots have lowballed him. You wont want to pay what the Pats want in return, but if you are the only offer, you give Branch reason to stay away, and the price may come down between now and the trade deadline. At the least you make it harder for your division rival to get a good player on the field. Of course, since the Patriots are impossible to negotiate with, this gives you a leg up any future negotiations we may have. I help people who help me.

Do you tell him to F-off? Why would you? What do you lose? What do you potentially gain?
I think its a no-brainer.

While you may hate agents coaches and GMs need to have a working relationship with them and at least pretend to respect them.

You are coming off like a coach/GM should have an fU reltaionship with agents where in fact they need the agent as much as the agent needs them.

But we're now told that the Jets don't genuinely expect to land Branch from a division rival, and that they jumped into the fray primarily as a favor to Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, and in order to make it harder for the Patriots to ultimately keep Branch.

This is what I was talking about earlier on another thread, and got told I was wrong:(

All these about the Jets means nothing once a second team was involved and the money was equal....I guess we should assume Seattle is just trying to make the Pats life difficult>>>>

SCPatBoy said:
All these about the Jets means nothing once a second team was involved and the money was equal....I guess we should assume Seattle is just trying to make the Pats life difficult>>>>

The Jets were the FIRST team involved. It further advances the theory that they appear out of it when another jumped in.

AndyJohnson said:
OK. Put yourself in Manginis shoes.

Chayut calls you. He says, look I want my client out of NE, but Ive lost all leverage. I recognize he may not fit your plans. But if you make an offer, it may prompt other teams to get involved. It will also show that the Patriots have lowballed him. You wont want to pay what the Pats want in return, but if you are the only offer, you give Branch reason to stay away, and the price may come down between now and the trade deadline. At the least you make it harder for your division rival to get a good player on the field. Of course, since the Patriots are impossible to negotiate with, this gives you a leg up any future negotiations we may have. I help people who help me.

Do you tell him to F-off? Why would you? What do you lose? What do you potentially gain?
I think its a no-brainer.

While you may hate agents coaches and GMs need to have a working relationship with them and at least pretend to respect them.

You are coming off like a coach/GM should have an fU reltaionship with agents where in fact they need the agent as much as the agent needs them.

I don't think so. You're putting words in my mouth. When did I ever say coaches and GM's shouldn't have relationships with agents??? I have never said that. All I'm saying is I don't think he did it for CHAYUT. What players does he have right now that Mangini wants? Isn't Branch the only player in Chayut's stable that is worth mentioning? Are the Jets somehow eyeing a player that he has now or will sign in next year's draft????? What is the direct relationship with Chayut and Mangini?

Chill out. Just because I don't agree with Florio's take on this one doesn't mean you have to bite my head off.

Since when did Mangini become the Jets GM?

Mangini's a pup. He isn't even ready for a head coaching position, IMO, much less ready to tangle with the Patriots organization with dirty tricks.

The guy's already gained 50 lbs. because of stress and getting into a blood feud with Belichick is about the last thing he needs.

Just because BB doesn't shoot of his mouth some people think he is a nice guy compared to Parcell's. Not when it comes to football he isn't.

And do you think he might have just a little bit of enmity towards the Jets orginization?

If Mangini wants a pr war, he'll wish he hadn't been born.

Last edited:
smg93 said:
I don't think so. You're putting words in my mouth. When did I ever say coaches and GM's shouldn't have relationships with agents??? I have never said that. All I'm saying is I don't think he did it for CHAYUT. What players does he have right now that Mangini wants? Isn't Branch the only player in Chayut's stable that is worth mentioning? Are the Jets somehow eyeing a player that he has now or will sign in next year's draft????? What is the direct relationship with Chayut and Mangini?

Chill out. Just because I don't agree with Florio's take on this one doesn't mean you have to bite my head off.

Im not biting your head off.
Why would the incentive need to be immediate? If there is anything to this story, which we are assuming in order to gauge Manginis potential motivation, what would be the gain in refusing vs the gain in playing along?
At some point in the future Mangini may need to negotiate with Chayut, he may not.
I'm just not sure what your thinking is. You seem to be saying if Chayut asked that, you believe Mangini would tell him to get lost, because there is no other player today that he wants to sign???? What is the upside in that?

Do you not see an upside in endearing yourself to an agent you MAY need to deal with in the future, AS WELL AS potentially hurting your division opponent? The article also lists that as a motivation.

I'm just not understanding your point I guess. It appears you are saying if Mangini was approach with this request he would have denied? Why would he deny it?

By the way, if you are Chayut, and the Pats throw thisin out of left field (and by the way other reports say Chayut was taken by surprise by the move) wouldnt your first call be to the Jets? Mine would be. Division rival, former Pat asst who both knows the player and MAY POSSIBLY want to one-up his former boss (not that Mangini is necessarily like that, but some people are).
Isnt it ironic that the Jets reportedly 'moved quickly' and had a deal in place by Monday?

This just reaks of phoniness. I dont know why you are so reliuctant to accept that it is what it looks like.

By the way, do you really think the Jets, in their current state are seriously considering trading a high pick and a player for a 6mill a year WR? They are probably the LAST team in the NFL that this would make sesne for.

RayClay said:
Mangini's a pup. He isn't even ready for a head coaching position, IMO, much less ready to tangle with the Patriots organization with dirty tricks.

The guy's already gained 50 lbs. because of stress and getting into a blood feud with Belichick is about the last thing he needs.

Just because BB doesn't shoot of his mouth some people think he is a nice guy compared to Parcell's. Not when it comes to football he isn't.

And do you think he might have just a little bit of enmity towards the Jets orginization?

If Mangini wants a pr war, he'll wish he hadn't been born.

So your theory is that given an opportunity to hurt the competition, Mangini recognizes the opportunity (I did, so he must have) and says to himself, shlt I'm not even ready to a HC and I sudder in fear of Bill Belichick, so I am going to abandon my responsibility to the Jets because I might get the guy I am trying to beat mad at me?
I find that more impossible to believe that only one other thing, that the Jets actually want Deion Branch for 6mill a year and would give up draft picks to get him.

Last edited by a moderator:
PatsRI said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

But we're now told that the Jets don't genuinely expect to land Branch from a division rival, and that they jumped into the fray primarily as a favor to Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, and in order to make it harder for the Patriots to ultimately keep Branch.
-----
the rumors are fast and furious now
why would the Jets do this for an agent though?

Recently big Eric was talking about how close he and BB still are. I can't see taking the side of a rookie agent over a close friend. Makes little sense to me.

What about if Eric M. did it as a favor to BB? Think about it.... Offer is about the same that the Pats offered. Hmmm.

If it seemed like I was saying that Mangini would tell Chayut to get lost, I will tell you now that that isn't the case at all. What I'm saying is why would it be Chayut? If Mangini would want to make friends with an agent it would be someone like the Postons or Condon who have a whole slew of marquee players that I would like to sign and who in all likelihood will sign the most promising players in next years draft.

That's all. I brought up the point of who in Chayut's stable of clients would the Jets really want? I should have expounded by saying in the history of Jason Chayut, how successful has he been with signing the big name draftees in the last few drafts?

If I were going to burn a bridge with my mentor, I would make sure it was for a damn good reason. In my book, Chayut is not a damn good reason.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that? And why are you defending Florio's rumor so vehemently? Can't someone just have a differing opinion on the subject?

Bostonian1962 said:
Recently big Eric was talking about how close he and BB still are. I can't see taking the side of a rookie agent over a close friend. Makes little sense to me.

What about if Eric M. did it as a favor to BB? Think about it.... Offer is about the same that the Pats offered. Hmmm.

There is more evidence for your hypothetical than the space aliens helping Mangini (suddenly promoted to GM!) work Machieavellian magic with Chayut against the Pats org them of the thread.

borg said:

Exactly. Tannenbaum is the GM, and Bradway remains the consultant. Mangini may get asked can you use this guy if we get him - but beyond that he's the HC in NY not the GM. Tannenbaum may well be socially chummy with Chayut who is also NY based and probably moves in the same circles. The quid pro quo can be the player Chayut doesn't work as hard for or the FA he steers to the Jets next season.

Happens all the time. AV's former agent works for the firm that represents BB. He still represents several players on this team including Neal who couldn't seem to get a decent offer from any west coast team in FA. Just like the interest in AV seemed non-existent.

It is what it is, BB knows how the game is played and payback can be a ***** when you have a shot to screw the guy who screwed you and help your team down the road.

borg said:

Thank you.

The other thing that someone's going to have to help me out with is that the Patriots have to do NOTHING. Branch is under contract. Chayut could use the Jets to drive up Branch's price tag, but to what end? According to PFT, to put pressure on the Patriots to move him. There is zero pressure on the Patriots to move him. Branch has a team-friendly contract, counts very little against the cap, and the Pats could easily maintain the status quo and acquire another WR to play this season.

Bottom line is that regardless of Chayut/Jets actions, a team has to give the Patriots what Belichick wants if they want to acquire Branch.

It makes no sense to me. If Branch had a prohibitive Price Tag, or the Patriots desparately needed cap room, I could see it. If the Patriots already used the franchise tag on another player, I could see it somewhat.

At the end of the day, Chayut STILL has no leverage. As I, and others, have said elsewhere, Mangini can offer Branch a 10 year, 100 billion dollar contract, all guaranteed, and offer the Patriots a conditional draft pick in the 2194 draft. That doesn't mean Branch's market value has increased. If Branch thinks that it does, than he's too dumb to be on this team anyway.

Nearly A Half Hour Till Belichick Stands To The Podium!

smg93 said:
Javon Walker

Although it was widely reported in the press that the Pats had the hots for him, it appears there was no offer made, and indeed, the team in reality had no interest in him.

That's what I've read about it....

Obviously the Pats hold all the cards, but if you're given a full house(say 2nd round pick) why hold out for a straight(high 1st) when you know that's unrealistic?

bakes781 said:
Obviously the Pats hold all the cards, but if you're given a full house(say 2nd round pick) why hold out for a straight(high 1st) when you know that's unrealistic?

If you're going to use poker analogies, please know which hand beats which.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back