Jets jumped into fray as favor for Chayut - PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

But we're now told that the Jets don't genuinely expect to land Branch from a division rival, and that they jumped into the fray primarily as a favor to Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, and in order to make it harder for the Patriots to ultimately keep Branch.
-----
the rumors are fast and furious now
why would the Jets do this for an agent though?

Last edited:
PatsRI said:

But we're now told that the Jets don't genuinely expect to land Branch from a division rival, and that they jumped into the fray primarily as a favor to Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, and in order to make it harder for the Patriots to ultimately keep Branch.
-----

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If thats true, Mangini is a ******* ********. I'd lose all the ******* respect I had for that *****. :mad:

Kdo5 said:
If thats true, Mangini is a ******* ********. I'd lose all the ******* respect I had for that *****. :mad:
its rumor mill...all this is smoke blowing until anything actually happens.

PatsRI said:

-----

They're not doing it for the agent, they're doing it to make a division rival weaker. Or at least attempting to do so.

Aren't the Postons famous for this kind of thing too?

Well it doesnt keep me from being angry.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:

It's a perfectly sound tactic to employ. If you can make an opponent significantly weaking by simply offering Reggie Wayne money to Branch, then it will make the Pats FO's job that much harder.

While it may piss us Pats fans off, I don't begrudge Mangini and Co. He's doing his job.

I don't buy this theory at all. What would Mangini gain by doing this strictly as a favor to Chayut? Nothing.

A more likely but still far fetched theory is that the Pats definitely want to trade Branch and have "asked" Mangini to make a counter offer to the Seahawks or any other team who wants to bid for Branch just so they could get more from that team in return. While it seems unlikely that this has happened, I can see Mangini doing a favor for BB as much more credible then him doing a favor for Chayut. After all, who does he owe more for his career as a football coach? It certainly isn't Chayut.

Last edited:
Week 2 revenge will be so sweet.

Seriously I wouldn´t mind getting the Jets # 1 pick. Even with Branch they would still be a sorry team.

smg93 said:
I don't buy this theory at all. What would Mangini gain by doing this strictly as a favor to Chayut? Nothing.

A more likely but still far fetched theory is that the Pats definitely want to trade Branch and have "asked" Mangini to make a counter offer to the Seahawks just so they could get more from Seattle in return. While it seems unlikely that this has happened, I can see Mangini doing a favor for BB as much more credible then him doing a favor for Chayut. After all, who does he owe more for his career as a football coach? It certainly isn't Chayut.

There are no favors of this sort to be considered between division rivals. Why can't people just accpet that Mangini is doing what he has to in order to make an opponent of his weaker. Even if the offer is hollow, it's still a good way to make life rough for the Pats.

The more these rumors keep coming (and they WILL keep coming) the more tired I grow of this whole situation and Deion Branch.

I don't give a sh*t what the Jets were trying to do...if they want to jump into the fray as a "favor", then whatever. They don't have any real way of knowing the Pats motivations/intentions regarding Branch at this point, so they could be ultimately just wasting their time getting involved, which would be classic Jet behavior.

I knew this day would be interesting, but I didn't count on exhausting and annoying as well.

Belichick did this in the offseason with that guy from Denver. Jets are just playing the game. **** em.

Ahriman said:
There are no favors of this sort to be considered between division rivals. Why can't people just accpet that Mangini is doing what he has to in order to make an opponent of his weaker. Even if the offer is hollow, it's still a good way to make life rough for the Pats.

Because I don't buy the theory that he would be doing this strictly for Chayut. That's what i'm saying in this thread in particular.

smg93 said:

A more likely but still far fetched theory is that the Pats definitely want to trade Branch and have "asked" Mangini to make a counter offer to the Seahawks or any other team who wants to bid for Branch just so they could get more from that team in return. While it seems unlikely that this has happened, I can see Mangini doing a favor for BB as much more credible then him doing a favor for Chayut. After all, who does he owe more for his career as a football coach? It certainly isn't Chayut.

Why would Mangini do anything that would HELP his division rival?
If he did something to help the Patriots, he should be fired, because that is not in the best interest of his employer.

Eric Mangini's job is for the Jets to win. Helping the Patriots is an abandoment of his repsonsibilities.

If you quit your job, and went to work for a competitor, then help your former employer get stronger at your expense, you would be fired on the spot.

Mangini's incentive is to seize the opportunity to HURT the Patriots, not to help them. Like it or not, thePatriots are the prime enemy to Eric Mangini now.

Not to mention that being owed a 'favor' by a player agent is also an advantage to any team.

smg93 said:
Because I don't buy the theory that he would be doing this strictly for Chayut. That's what i'm saying in this thread in particular.

Why not help the agent, you may get something back in the future?
Why not hurt the Pats, its his job if he can.

AndyJohnson said:
exactly the two things i was about to post

AndyJohnson said:

It's the doing this for the agent part that is still far fetched to me. That's all I'm saying.

sieglo said:
Belichick did this in the offseason with that guy from Denver. Jets are just playing the game. **** em.

What "guy from Denver" was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye