PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Jim Leonhard whines about playing 2 games in 5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is what it is...

...a lame excuse.

oh give me a break. If the jets had beaten the pats, no player would whine about this..

It is kinda stupid IMO. But then they get a long break which is nice.

HHHMMM that's funny, I seem to recall that Dallas and Detroit have to do this every year. Don't hear them whining about it.

Granted I know they play it at home. But, every year some opponent (last year the Pats) had to play Sunday, then travel to play on Thursday.

EZ76

Last edited:
Such open whining makes me appreciate coach Belichick's approach even more. He would roll his eyes if asked about an "unfair" schedule, and say "it is what it is, we don't make the schedule, but our job is to be ready to do our best with the schedule we have". You know that every Pats player would echo those same thoughts.

Coaching is more than X's and O's and clock management. With good coaching comes a focused mindset that permeates the team. The Jets don't have that. Another example is the Colts. When it became clear that Manning was hurt, they might has well have been pumping music into the locker room, Bob Marley's "No woman, no cry" with new lyrics "No Peyton, no chance". A defeatist attitude took hold immediately. An all-time great coach would not allow that to happen. He would demand that everyone do their job and not worry about who is playing another position, like QB, because that QB would be focused on doing his job or he wouldn't have a job.

More reasons to appreciate the captain of our ship.

Last edited:
Playing a Thursday game requires that and many teams have to do that including the Broncos who they will be playing.

But the Jets sechedule is flawed and should never have been done by the league.

A night road game.

Followed by an almost cross country road game. Is unreasonable.

If a team is going to play on Thursday night, one of the games should be a home game.

Playing a Thursday game requires that and many teams have to do that including the Broncos who they will be playing.

A night road game.

If a team is going to play on Thursday night, one of the games should be a home game.

Damn that Goodell to Hell for making the jets play away in MetLife Giants Stadium in New Jersey!

Boo-hoo.

The team you're playing is doing the same thing you are, and you both get an extra 3 days rest for your next game.

The Jets get to play in PRIME TIME twice in a five day period. Players should understand that the exposure can be a plus for them and the Jets brand.........unless someone drops 37 on 'em or the Hand of God performs a Mile High miracle.

I have no idea. I agree with him that the Sunday/Thursday thing sucks, I just don't have all that much sympathy for them when they could have dealt with this in CBA negotiations. The Thursday games are all about money and, unlike the Monday night games, they leave the players almost no time to recover from one game to the next. However, both the owners and the players chose, once again, to go with money over the health and welfare of the players, so I'm not going to be singing any laments on his behalf.

All completely right in my opinion. The owners got their NFLN Thurs night money grabs because the players signed on the dotted line.

Actually, playing Denver on a Thursday night is about the best break the Jets could have had. What's not to like about playing a QB who throws (literally) a handful of times a game; no real need to game plan your pass defense. And it's not as if their running game is going to be stellar missing their 2 top running backs.

If the Jets don't win this game - easily - they have no one to blame but themselves.

A night road game.

Huh are you sure about that

Meh. I think it is kind of ridiculous. We'd be crying us a river if it was the Pats who had to play on Sunday night, and then again on Thursday night on the other side of the country. You think they would have made sure the Jets played at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. Oh well, too bad for them!!

Time between games for the Jets

3 days, 19 hours, 52 minutes and 0 seconds

For the Pats last year

3 days, 17 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds

I have already gone over this late Sunday night and early Monday with my brother and friends . . . bottom line the NFL should have done better in this situation, its bad enough that they have Thursday Nights games, which I like btw, but as one is on a short week you do not make prior game a Sunday 8 pm game, which will, and did get over, at 12 AM . . . and now that team has really only one day to get ready, today Tuesday, assuming tomorrow is a travel day . . .

just as the NFL would not schedule a MNF and TNF with the same team, nor should they schedule together a SNF and TNF . . . especially if that SNF team has to travel 1/2 way across this country . . . plain stupid on the part of the NFL . . .

this is issue is not that complicated and I do see why the Jets would be in a uproar, as every game counts in a 16 game regular season. Indeed, I even thought to start a thread on the jets forums to see their thoughts on the matter . . .

to a degree this scheduling "quirk" is not different than what happened to us in 2008, folloiwng our 16-0 season . . . the NFL "scheduled" 3 straight games against us in which the opponent was coming of a TNF game, so we had 3 straight opponents who had 10 days of rest, I complained about that as it was wrong, hopefully that little quirk wont happen again, my thought was that the NFL wanted to stiffened our copetition by given us 3 teams with 10 days of rest . ..

regardless, both situations are little snafus in the schedule and in both cases the fans/teams/players have a right to be angry . . .

Actually, playing Denver on a Thursday night is about the best break the Jets could have had. What's not to like about playing a QB who throws (literally) a handful of times a game; no real need to game plan your pass defense. And it's not as if their running game is going to be stellar missing their 2 top running backs.

If the Jets don't win this game - easily - they have no one to blame but themselves.

Well, you can argue that Tebow's arm is well rested for this game while Sanchez threw 39 times against New England. :D

I have already gone over this late Sunday night and early Monday with my brother and friends . . . bottom line the NFL should have done better in this situation, its bad enough that they have Thursday Nights games, which I like btw, but as one is on a short week you do not make prior game a Sunday 8 pm game, which will, and did get over, at 12 AM . . . and now that team has really only one day to get ready, today Tuesday, assuming tomorrow is a travel day . . .

just as the NFL would not schedule a MNF and TNF with the same team, nor should they schedule together a SNF and TNF . . . especially if that SNF team has to travel 1/2 way across this country . . . plain stupid on the part of the NFL . . .

this is issue is not that complicated and I do see why the Jets would be in a uproar, as every game counts in a 16 game regular season. Indeed, I even thought to start a thread on the jets forums to see their thoughts on the matter . . .

to a degree this scheduling "quirk" is not different than what happened to us in 2008, folloiwng our 16-0 season . . . the NFL "scheduled" 3 straight games against us in which the opponent was coming of a TNF game, so we had 3 straight opponents who had 10 days of rest, I complained about that as it was wrong, hopefully that little quirk wont happen again, my thought was that the NFL wanted to stiffened our copetition by given us 3 teams with 10 days of rest . ..

regardless, both situations are little snafus in the schedule and in both cases the fans/teams/players have a right to be angry . . .

Every team has scheduling snafus from time to time. It is the way it happened. Remember about 5 years ago the Pats had back to back West Coast games.

Yes, the Jets don't have the most optimum schedule this week with SNF followed by a Thursday night game, but going into the season people expected the Broncos to suck. Now the Jets have extra time to prepare for a big division rivalry game against Buffalo which may be a crucial game for their Wild Card chances since if the Bill rebound they could be a contender for one of the Wild Card spots. The Bills game is far more important to the Jets than the Broncos' game. Then again at 5-4, they can't afford to lose too many games no matter who the opponent is.

Every team has scheduling snafus from time to time. It is the way it happened. Remember about 5 years ago the Pats had back to back West Coast games.

Yes, the Jets don't have the most optimum schedule this week with SNF followed by a Thursday night game, but going into the season people expected the Broncos to suck. Now the Jets have extra time to prepare for a big division rivalry game against Buffalo which may be a crucial game for their Wild Card chances since if the Bill rebound they could be a contender for one of the Wild Card spots. The Bills game is far more important to the Jets than the Broncos' game. Then again at 5-4, they can't afford to lose too many games no matter who the opponent is.
It was in 2008, I believe. The Patriots actually had back-to-back road games on the west coast twice that season. On both occasions, they spent the two week period staying out west.

It was in 2008, I believe. The Patriots actually had back-to-back road games on the west coast twice that season. On both occasions, they spent the two week period staying out west.

Yes it was. Raiders and then Seattle. I think they stayed in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes